Favorite documentaries thread

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I will start with one of my favorites, Harlan County USA. Saw it many years ago before Sundance and IFC started showing nonsense. It is about miners labor strike in 1973, even won an Oscar for best documentary in 1977. Just the first few minutes are eye opening.
Here is the full version for those inclined to watch.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Fear City: New York City v the Mob". Well researched into just what that was like for New Yorkers. Hollywood has the tendency to romanticize gangsters, this does not.

"What We Started". The story about the artist DJ's that created Raves and Electronic Music and their unwillingness to let it die. There is a scene worth the time invested of the festival in South America with 1.5M people in the street, all dancing. This form of music might not be your cup of tea but it is fascinating the connection with tribalism and mood. Of course, the drugs helped as well.

"The Making of Sgt. Pepper". I was a 16 year old when The Beatles landed and it was a magical time and I'd always thought Lennon was the music guy and McCartney was the love song guy and this reveals the real Beatle behind their taking music to another level with the release of this album and "Magical Mystery Tour". McCartney had these sounds in his head and George Martin helped him produce them before digital was even a dream. This could have been title "What We Started" because those albums opened it all up and allowed Rock to blossom and the importance of the album to arrive.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Everything Ken Burns has ever produced especially the Baseball and Civil War docs.
Ive rewatched some of his stuff at least 10 times. Never loses anything

He is working on an American Revolution doc. Hope it is in the Civil War/Vietnam vein

cowboyec

Reaction score

must see for anyone interested in the ufo phenomena...spent many nights watching this when it came on late at night.