Favorite Freeware Programs

Duane

Reaction score
I've starting using Modzilla Firefox and really like it. I'm also using Adaware and Sygate Personal Firewall as well.

Does anyone else have any favorite freeware programs they use on a regular basis?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
adaware has done a good job of keeping my system cleaned up.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Spybot Search and Destroy - Similiar program to Ad-Aware

Ifanview - Picture viewer

XP-Antispy - Does what it says (www.xp-antispy.org is the legit site - Beware, there are others claiming to be this site but the software they offer for downloads are dialers).

Spyware Blaster - Unlike Ad-Aware and Spybot, run this before surfing to PREVENT spyware from being installed

I would reccomend downloading all products from this site: http://www.grc.com/freepopular.htm including the popular "UnPlug N Pray"

Net Transporter - Records streaming audio (If you figure out how to use it, let me know).

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
Copernic Agent Basic and Zone Alarm.

I've been using both for around 4 years, and always download them any time I reinstall Windows.

Copernic is a very nice search tool, and most people know of Zone Alarm, one of the better free software firewalls.

Honorable mention to Pop Up Stopper and Weather Watcher.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Duane said:
I've starting using Modzilla Firefox and really like it. I'm also using Adaware and Sygate Personal Firewall as well.

Does anyone else have any favorite freeware programs they use on a regular basis?

We use spygate on are laptops and we are trying to replace it becuase it is a worthless piece of crap firewall. Bluck hate it will never ever recommend or buy a sygate firewall

Duane

Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
We use spygate on are laptops and we are trying to replace it becuase it is a worthless piece of crap firewall. Bluck hate it will never ever recommend or buy a sygate firewall
So what program are you going to replace it with? I've heard lots of good things about Zone Alarm that DLK mentioned earlier.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
We are doing a Hipps project but we are looking for state of the art beyond just normal firewall testing.

We are leaning towards Cisco as the front leader but not set in stone and some others but you could not buy it for a single PC it is an enterprise solution for what we are looking for and not just on laptops now we are also looking for all desktops as well. Hehe and spending will probably be in the 100k area per year with maintenance agreements.

A lot of are security guys at work use zone alarm at home and tweak it out a lot of people also like black ice the problem is on home PC's the options are not as good as a corporate enterprise solution :mad:

So far what I have seen of sygate on a home pc and at work there are better option.

I also know AVG the anti virus software I use just came out with an option but I have not tested or used the product or researched to find a review on it yet.

Here you go i found this with some in depth reviews on firewalls
http://www.firewallguide.com/software.htm#More

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Duane said:

Firefox is nice and fast... the problem is that when you are scrolled halfway down the page and do a refresh... it moves back to the top of the page...

Frustrating when you are looking at threads...

Mozilla said they are working on it...

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
jacs said:
mirc and bittorrent are great :D

Just remember - Bit-torrent = no privacy, whatever you're downloading is open for the world to see. Just something to think about while you're downloading the latest movie release.

Re: Sygate, I use it on my laptop and prefer it over ZoneAlrarm. Not sure why, ZA has done the job, I just like the way Sygate works/looks for some odd reason...

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
GTaylor said:
Just remember - Bit-torrent = no privacy, whatever you're downloading is open for the world to see. Just something to think about while you're downloading the latest movie release.

i get rid of it after the 24 hours of downloading it :D

and its only if you leave the program open and if you are sharing it if not you got no problem of course only after you have tested the program you have downloaded :D

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue said:
Firefox is nice and fast... the problem is that when you are scrolled halfway down the page and do a refresh... it moves back to the top of the page...

Frustrating when you are looking at threads...

Mozilla said they are working on it...

That and if you use the browser back button...or your backspace button in it's place...it goes back to the top of the page just as it does when you hit the refresh or F5 button.

I too find it very annoying.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Duane said:

I use linux so all my software is freeware.
I am using Mozilla as well and it is a lot more secure than IE.
On win XP pro I had spybot, ad-aware and zone alarm. Using all of them showed me just how unsecure a Windows box is.

If anyone wants a list of linux apps I can send one that can cover any and all of your needs at least as well as the windows platform does and for free.