Favorite recipes

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Now having grown up on Long Island, NY, and having lived in NYC and now San Francisco due to work, I am selfishly trying to get some beloved Texas BBQ (my favorite cuisine) recipes

All recipe's welcome.

Last edited:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
My tortilla soup.

Ingredients:
4 teaspoons of olive oil. (more or less depending on how big the onion is)
1 decent sized white onion chopped.
4 garlic cloves minced.
1/2 bell pepper chopped.
4 small skinless chicken breasts
2 cups of frozen corn.
4 (14 ounce) cans of chicken broth.
1 (15 ounce) can of tomato sauce.
2 (10 ounce) cans of Rotel original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
2 teaspoons of Cumin
1 teaspoon of Chili powder.
1 large handful of tortilla chips.

Prep and cooking:
Saute the chopped onions, bell peppers, and minced garlic in the olive oil until softened.
Once that is done, mix everything into a large pot with the exception of the tortilla chips. (including the four raw chicken breast) and bring to a boil. Once it is boiling, let it boil for 15 minutes.
Once it has been at a full boil for 15 minutes, extract the four chicken breasts and shred the chicken breasts completely. Once that is complete, dump the shredded chicken back into the pot and mix it up. Lower the temperature down to a simmer and let simmer for 45 minutes.

Serve with a small amount of tortilla chips sprinkled on top. (or tortilla strips)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
My homemade chicken soup.
  • (1) 6lbs Chicken
  • 3-4 Bullion cubes
  • (1) stalk of celery
  • (1) large white onion
  • 1lbs of baby carrots
  • Salt and pepper
Clean and cut up the chicken to fit in pot with the bullion cubes and water to cover chicken and boil for at least 15 minutes

Cut up onions and celery and about 1lbs of the carrots and add salt and pepper and cook for at least an hour

Boil egg noodles for a few minutes by themselves, then toss them in. (pre-boiling the noodles prevents the noodles from absorbing all the broth)

Begin adjusting the seasoning to your liking.

Serve

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
My Jambalaya (if you like Cajun food, this is BOSS)

Jambalaya

Preparation Time: About 1 Hour

Ingredients
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 cups diced sweet onion
1 cup diced celery
1 large red bell pepper, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 (10-oz.) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained (Rotel original works)
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 pound peeled, medium-size raw shrimp, deveined
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Garnish: chopped green onions

Preparation
1. Cook sausage in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until browned. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon.
2. Add diced onion and next 7 ingredients to hot drippings; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes, next 3 ingredients, and sausage. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
3. Stir in shrimp; cover and cook 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Stir in parsley. Serve immediately.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
My homemade chicken soup.
  • (1) 6lbs Chicken
  • 3-4 Bullion cubes
  • (1) stalk of celery
  • (1) large white onion
  • 1lbs of baby carrots
  • Salt and pepper
Clean and cut up the chicken to fit in pot with the bullion cubes and water to cover chicken and boil for at least 15 minutes

Cut up onions and celery and about 1lbs of the carrots and add salt and pepper and cook for at least an hour

Boil egg noodles for a few minutes by themselves, then toss them in. (pre-boiling the noodles prevents the noodles from absorbing all the broth)

Begin adjusting the seasoning to your liking.

Serve
In the ingredient area, I forgot the 1 bag of No Yoke, egg noodles and the fact that I like to "heavily over pepper" my soup. The pepper changes the dynamic!

Makes for an awesome chicken soup! Like you salt, pepper to taste!

rynochop

Reaction score
Good idea on preboiling the noodles, I've noticed the next day it turns into chicken stew and you have to add water. I also add lemon to mine.
Been hungry for some chicken sausage gumbo, but waiting for it to get out of the 80s

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good idea on preboiling the noodles, I've noticed the next day it turns into chicken stew and you have to add water. I also add lemon to mine.
Been hungry for some chicken sausage gumbo, but waiting for it to get out of the 80s
It got out of the 80's PDQ down here in central Tejas, not getting out of the 40'd the next two days and 10-20 mph winds from the North. Winter is coming. But it will be gone by Wednesday.

With you on that weather and cooking. I don't get the chili cookoffs in Texas in the summer. I want to sweat bullets from the chili not the ambient temp.

rynochop

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm in Beaumont so it hasn't hit here yet...hate running the a/c while cooking gumbo or chili, even though it's running nonstop anyway last 6 months

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I'm in Beaumont so it hasn't hit here yet...hate running the a/c while cooking gumbo or chili, even though it's running nonstop anyway last 6 months
Hear that, been a rough one and when the temp gets livable the humidity is awful.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
It's dropping into the low 40s here at night. It says Thursday to expect a low of 32F. o_O

Also, my chicken soup receipe I left out tons of stuff like once the chicken is cooked, you have to de-bone it hah. As I cook the chicken whole (or somewhat cut up so it fits in the pot) Cooking it whole adds a lot more flavor than just using chicken breasts or something like that.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's dropping into the low 40s here at night. It says Thursday to expect a low of 32F. o_O

Also, my chicken soup receipe I left out tons of stuff like once the chicken is cooked, you have to de-bone it hah. As I cook the chicken whole (or somewhat cut up so it fits in the pot) Cooking it whole adds a lot more flavor than just using chicken breasts or something like that.
Yep, almost time to put the shorts away. :thumbdown: