Favorite Stones Song

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, I start this Beatles thread and all the Rockers are "hey, what about us? You give the Mods a thread with their silly little haircuts, little funny suits and shoes and ignore the Rockers"? Rockers rejoice, this is for you and I was one of you.

For our younger members, allow me to bore you with a little music history. The first wave of the British Invasion were the Mods, the Beatles, Dave Clark 5 and the forerunners of the "pretty boy bands". Just ask any guy my age here how much he would have liked to have punched Paul in the face for being "so damned cute". I was so sick and tired of hearing how cute they were and all the girls losing it over them. Egads, we were not that far from Elvis, Frankie Avalon, Fabian, Bobby Rydell, Ricky Nelson and all the other good looking guys, now we have to deal with this?

We needed balance in the universe, we needed repellent for "cute". Enter our saviors, The Rolling Stones. A band so ugly they drowned the only cute one to serve us better.

At this time in the UK, there is a street feud taking place between the "Mods", cutesy little punching bags, and the "Rockers", real men of substance. Some were like gangs and had street fights....over music. I say if you can't fight over women, drinking or gambling, music is a good reason.

The best thing about the Rockers is that we we're all cuter than they were. In fact, the first question to a girl would be "what do you think about Keith Richards"? If she replied "oh, I think he's cute", you knew you had a really good chance because his own Mum put a hood on him to breast feed him.

I loved their look and their attitude but when I began to really get into their music, I was hooked more than any band I'd ever listened to. Their first album was my first British album and my favorite song on it was "Tell Me" because it has this vibe to it that was really raw. Later I would discover that was the only song on the album that they wrote and that explained why it stood out to me, that was them, the first glimpse of their looseness, a style that could only be imitated.

There are songs that you hear for the first time that instantly connect and I was a fan of a lot of their music. The first time I heard "Gimme Shelter", I was blown away and must have listened to that song 15 times that day. That was the album I would take with me to audition stereo set ups when I was shopping and I'd warn the salesperson that I was cranking it. Those Charlie Watts licks to kick that off still give me a thrill much like Wyman's bass to kick off "Jumping Jack Flash".

So that's mine and part of my story but I have one about another one of their songs that I will relate later in the thread.

BTW, that is also Nick Saban's favorite song of all time and he plays it driving home after games but it was mine first because I am older. It is in my Top 5 of all time.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Get Off Of My Cloud ... I love the Stones. I have seen them on many tours. I am the biggest fan of 60's music you'll find on planet earth. Thanks for creating these interesting thread. Paint it Black is a great choice. Ruby Tuesday Live is the best.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It sure is...I am looking forward to another stones concert...
I'm not really a big fan. I think they're overrated, especially Mick as a front man.....but I do like some of their songs, and everything on the Some Girls album.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Get Off Of My Cloud ... I love the Stones. I have seen them on many tours. I am the biggest fan of 60's music you'll find on planet earth. Thanks for creating these interesting thread. Paint it Black is a great choice. Ruby Tuesday Live is the best.
That used to be my favorite song period.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not really a big fan. I think they're overrated, especially Mick as a front man.....but I do like some of their songs, and everything on the Some Girls album.
I think they've stayed at the dance too long but I do consider them one of the real influences on rock in history.

When I think of all the songs they've written and performed, they're right up there with the Beatles only they're really a different type of band. The thing that drew me to the Stones from the get go was their edginess, the rawness to their sound. And Jagger was the original front man as he didn't play an instrument and he was the template for others like Plant, Roth and Tyler, your favorite.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think they've stayed at the dance too long but I do consider them one of the real influences on rock in history.

When I think of all the songs they've written and performed, they're right up there with the Beatles only they're really a different type of band. The thing that drew me to the Stones from the get go was their edginess, the rawness to their sound. And Jagger was the original front man as he didn't play an instrument and he was the template for others like Plant, Roth and Tyler, your favorite.
Actually, my favorite front man would be Freddie Mercury, but I do like Steven Tyler.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Paint it black

Angie is close though.

I’m just going to say ditto to this.

I never really was a big Stones fan, but these are great. On the more upbeat side, Start Me Up and Satisfaction are good rock and roll songs.

lukin2006

Reaction score

I'm not a big Jagger fan... but he fits the stones like a glove. I absolutely think Richards is one of the coolest men in Rock 'n' Roll history.