FB Nick Ralston has Best Shot at Making Cowboys Roster out of UDFAs

fivetwos

Reaction score
Tell you what....if teams are going to play nickel type base defenses and/or convert safeties to LB, etc.....

Trying to counteract that with a power run game may not be the worst idea.....if nothing else to change things up and eat some clock. Maybe keep an average defense on the sidelines.

A team that wins a particular game should not have to throw 40-50 times, even today....but they can't seem to help themselves.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't see the Cowboys keeping a FB on the roster this year. FB wouldn't even see the active roster unless he were an absolute beast on special teams. TEs and DL can handle the FB duties. Antuan Woods was the short yardage FB last year for a while.

I can see us keeping two running backs and a fullback if Ralston stands out on special teams. That third RB spot definitely isn't solidified. I think McCarthy likes to position and has shown in the past that he'll use it if he has a good one.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Sewo Olonilua (6'3", 240) probably has a better chance of making the team roster at FB since he's been with the team for a year already (practice squad in 2020), so he knows the Offense/playbook and is bigger, much more athletic and can catch better out of the backfield than rookie UDFA Nick Ralston (6'0", 237). Both are ex-RBs turned FB once they got signed by the Cowboys. It will be interesting to see if either one makes the team. It might come down to which one is a better lead blocker against bigger opposing defensive players.

I believe Ralston was a fullback/tight end in college, while Olonilua was a running back. Ralston is used to lead blocking and knows how to do it.

https://sportdfw.com/2021/05/03/dallas-cowboys-undrafted-free-agents-2021/

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The 49ers made it to the Super Bowl for the 2019 season due to their dominant running game.

They played more snaps with a Fullback than any other team.

Their FB Kyle Juszczyk is a much or more of a precision blocker as power blocker. The angles and timing in their zone blocking scheme require precision.

I hear what you are saying but not feeling it. The exception doesn’t make the rule.

FBs would be better off playing rugby these days. Nearly an extinct species in the NFL. Geezers like to see them for memories long lost.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Idk if Ralston makes the team, but I picked him to before any practices because of his versatility. Also I think his skill set translates to STs.

2 things: 1) Ralston at 6'0 has better leverage more conducive to playing FB and only 3 pounds lighter, so Sewo being "bigger" isn't really a plus. 2) Ralston is a former RB and was used in the slot, and caught passes from there, so I'm not sure Sewo is a better receiver.

If you look at the best running teams in the league most have a legit FB, not TE masquerading.
Considering none of the TEs on the team are really known for there blocking prowess. I could see Ralston as FB/H-Back type which would be better suited to his abilities. He has enough wiggle he could take over for those Beasley short passes.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Considering none of the TEs on the team are really known for there blocking prowess. I could see Ralston as FB/H-Back type which would be better suited to his abilities. He has enough wiggle he could take over for those Beasley short passes.
Exactly, I agree there can be a role for a FB like Ralston on this team.