Feel free to post any Senior Bowl news

lkelly

Reaction score
Or at least any Señor Bowl news if there's a game in Mexico...

I believe I read on one site where Darren Sproles (Kansas State) measured only 5'5". I was really high on this kid a year ago, but he seems to have fallen in the rankings. I didn't get to see him play much in 2004. He looked to be a quick, elusive kid in 2003. How would some compare him to the Moats kid?

I also read where Pitt OT Rob Petitti weighed in at over 360 lbs. Oh my! That can't help his draft stock one iota. We are talking about 3 weeks after playing in a bowl game.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I read this on a pay site, and so don't want to copy it and paste it here. What I tried to do was just summarize the information. This info is when the players first mingled with the scouts and coaches. Many teams did short interviews just asking basic questions and in essence was just trying to get to know the players. Nothing really Dallas related, so I'm sorry for that.

Anyway, here's what I've heard so far:

New Orleans has paid a lot of attention to UCLA RB Manual White and seems to be interested in him as a FB.

The Packers seemed to be interested in San Diego St. LB Kirk Morrison.

The giants seem to be interested in Kickers and punters because thay paid a lot of attention to Mike Nugent, K Ohio St. and Dustin Colquitt, P Tennessee. They also paid particular attention to the OL.

The Seahawks spent a lot of time with Terrence Murphy, WR Texas A&M, and Shaun Cody, DL USC.

The Falcons seemed to like Fred Gibson, WR Georgia.

The Steelers appeared very interested in Syracuse OT Adam Terry. They pulled him aside twice and kept him for over an hour.

The Chiefs spent a lot of time looking at defensive prospects, in particular Marcus Lawrence, LB out of South Carolina. On the offensive side they did talk with Craphonso Thorpe, WR, FLA St.

Ronald Fields DL out of Mississippi State seemed to draw everyone's attention, as many teams wanted a peice of the guy.

Chicago put Michigan OG David Baas through a lengthy interview and seemed reluctant to let him make his rounds with other teams.

Carnell Williams, RB Auburn made a brief appearance on the floor and then dissapeared.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
In something Dallas related... I did read where today (Monday) neither Jerry jones or Bill Parcells was there. They should be there early in the morning tomorrow.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
lkelly said:
Or at least any Señor Bowl news if there's a game in Mexico...

I believe I read on one site where Darren Sproles (Kansas State) measured only 5'5". I was really high on this kid a year ago, but he seems to have fallen in the rankings. I didn't get to see him play much in 2004. He looked to be a quick, elusive kid in 2003. How would some compare him to the Moats kid?

I also read where Pitt OT Rob Petitti weighed in at over 360 lbs. Oh my! That can't help his draft stock one iota. We are talking about 3 weeks after playing in a bowl game.

He's big boned and not a "fat" 360 if thats possible.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
(11:30 AM): Players weight in... This week's Senior Bowl week kicked off with the measuring and weighing of players this morning. OTs Adam Terry of Syracuse and Wesley Britt of Alabama were the tallest players, both at 6-7 1/2; they were followed by OTs Jeremy Parquet of Southern Miss and Eastern Washington's Micheal Roos, both of whom measured in at just over 6-6. Meanwhile, another OT, Rob Petitti of Pittsburgh, was the heaviest player at 361 pounds. DT Anthony Bryant of Alabama was 345, while Virginia OG Elton Brown tipped the scales at 331. On the other hand, the shortest player as Kansas State RB Darren Sproles was measured in at barely 5-5, while Oklahoma State was the lighest position player at 170 pounds. Hopefully, we'll have the full list of heights and weights tomorow morning.
(9:00 AM): Live and in color from dowtown Mobile!...After a bit of a harrowing trip and some continuing minor technical problems we are indeed back on the air live from the Senior Bowl. Hopefully we'll be back later with updates. In the meantime, here is the updated selection order for the first round of the 2005 draft after yesterday's NFC and AFC title games.

lkelly

Reaction score
Nors said:

Sorry. 6'5" and 361 is overweight regardless of his bench press. There's not a team in the NFL that would tell him otherwise. Parcells would have his fat *** on a scale and be in full mocking form.

He's got 30 pounds on any other offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl. And he hasn't even trotted out some sort of excuse about using medication to treat sinus polyps.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
SENIOR BOWL HEIGHTS/WEIGHTS
POS
Player
School
HT
WT

QB
Charlie Frye
Akron
6-3.1

QB
Dan Orlovsky
UConn
6-4.5

QB
Kyle Orton
Purdue
6-3.5

QB
Brock Berlin
Miami
6-1.0

QB
Jason Campbell
Auburn
6-4.1

QB
David Greene
Georgia
6-2.7

POS
Player
School
HT
WT

RB
Nehemiah Broughton
Citadel
5-10.7

RB
Kay-Jay Harris
West Virginia
5-11.6

RB
Cedric Houston
Tennessee
5-10.2

RB
Carnell Williams
Auburn
5-10.1

RB
J.J. Arrington
California
5-8.3

RB
Noah Herron
Northwestern
5-10.5

RB
Darren Sproles
Kansas State
5-5.6

FB
Zach Tuiasosopo
Washington
6-1.1

FB Will Matthews
Texas
6-1.0

FB
Manuel White
UCLA
6-1.5

POS
Player
School
HT
WT

WR
Reggie Brown
Georgia
6-1.1

WR
Fred Gibson
Georgia
6-3.5

WR
Matt Jones
Arkansas
6-5.7

WR
Terrence Murphy
Texas A&M 6-0.4

WR
Craphonso Thorpe
Florida State
6-0.3

WR
Roddy White
Alabama-Birmingham
6-0.1

WR
Craig Bragg
UCLA
6-0.3

WR
Mark Clayton
Oklahoma
5-9.6

WR
Vincent Jackson
Northern Colorado
6-4.3

WR
Brandon Jones
Oklahoma
6-0.7

WR
Courtney Roby
Indiana
5-11.6

WR
Taylor Stubblefield
Purdue
5-10.0

TE
Alex Holmes
Southern California
6-1.3

TE
Cody McCarty
Texas Christian
6-3.4

TE
Joel Dreesen
Colorado State
6-3.3

TE
Alex Smith
Stanford
6-3.6

POS
Player
School
HT
WT

C
Jason Brown
North Carolina
6-2.1

C/G
Chris Myers
Miami
6-3.6

C
Junius Coston
North Carolina A&T
6-2.6

OG
Elton Brown
Virginia
6-4.3

OG
Marcus Johnson
Mississippi
6-5.7

OG
Evan Mathis Alabama
6-4.6

OG
Logan Mankins
Fresno State
6-3.7

OG
David Baas
Michigan
6-3.7

OG
Dan Buenning
Wisconsin
6-3.4

OG
Jonathan Clinkscale
Wisconsin
6-1.7

OT
Wesley Britt
Alabama
6-7.5

OT
Jeremy Parquet
Southern Miss
6-6.2

OT
David Stewart
Mississippi State
6-5.7

OT
Khalif Barnes
Washinton
6-5.1

OT
Rob Petitti
Pittsburgh
6-5.2

OT
Michael Roos
Eastern Washington
6-6.3

OT
Adam Snyder
Oregon
6-4.3

OT
Adam Terry
Syracuse
6-7.5

POS
Player
School
HT
WT

DT
Anthony Bryant
Alabama
6-2.3

DT
Shaun Cody
Southern California
6-3.5

DT
Ronald Fields
Mississippi State
6-1.6

DT
Mike Patterson
Southern California
5-11.3

DT
Lorenzo Alexander
California
6-1.4

DT
Jonathan Babineaux
Iowa
6-1.7

DT
Attiyah Ellison
Missouri
6-3.5

DT
Anttaj Hawthorne
Wisconsin
6-2.7

DT
Jim Davis
Virginia Tech
6-2.7

DE
George Gause
South Carolina
6-3.6

DE
Mike Montgomery
Teas A&M
6-4.3

DE
Demarcus Ware
Troy
6-3.5

DE
Trent Cole
Cincinnati
6-2.0

DE
Bill Swancutt
Oregon State
6-3.6

DE
Jimmy Verdon
Arizona State
6-2.6

DE
Marcus Spears
LSU
6-3.3

DE
Matt Roth
Iowa
6-3.1

POS
Player
School
HT
WT

LB
Michael Boley
Southern Miss
6-2.1

LB
Leroy Hill
Clemson
6-0.4

LB
Marcus Lawrence
South Carolina
6-1.5

LB
Robert McCune
Louisville
5-11.5

LB
Cornelius Wortham
Alabama
6-0.7

LB
Alfred Fincher
UConn
6-1.0

LB
Lance Mitchell
Oklahoma
6-1.5

LB
Kirk Morrison
San Diego State
6-0.3

LB
Jared Newberry
Stanford
6-0.4

LB
Barrett Ruud
Nebraska
6-1.7

POS
Player
School
HT
WT

CB
Ronald Bartell
Howard
6-0.5

CB
Abraham Elimimian
Hawaii
5-8.7

CB
Alphonso Hodge
Miami (Ohio)
5-10.3

CB
Darrent Williams
Oklahoma State
5-8.1

CB
Vincent Fuller
Virginia Tech
6-0.5

CB
Eric Green
Virginia Tech

CB
Bryant McFadden
Florida State
5-11.5

CB
Carlos Rogers
Auburn
6-0.0

CB
Corey Webster
LSU
5-11.2

CB
Travis Daniels
LSU
6-0.1
DB
O.J. Atogwe
Stanford
5-10.6

DB
Jammal Brimmer
UNLV
6-0.4

DB
Sean Considine
Iowa
5-11.5

DB
Stanley Wilson
Stanford
5-11.1

DB
James Butler
Georgia Tech
6-1.3

DB
Junior Rosegreen
Auburn
5-10.7

POS
Player
School
HT
WT

P
Cole Farden
Oklahoma State
5-9.7

P
Dustin Colquitt
Tennessee
6-2.1

PK
Mike Nugent
Ohio State
5-11.0

PK
Jonathan Nichols
Mississippi
5-10.5

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Patterson checked in under six feet. Ouch.

What is Spears doing at 303 for a DE?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Avery said:
Patterson checked in under six feet. Ouch.

What is Spears doing at 303 for a DE?

Is a classic 3-4 DE, He's played that at LSU. I love hi ssize and explosiveness. Knocks are he may take plays off. I can see a team like Houston, Pats, Steelers, Chargers making a move for him.

If we go Zimmers 4-3 again - Don't even bother looking at RDE. All they ask is that he stands the Tackle up and they let the midgets make plays. :iggles: :skins: :jints:

Gaede

Reaction score
According to NFL Draft Countdown, we're looking at Hawthorne

Good news that we're not just looking at lower level guys

---------------------------------------

As if the prospects playing in the game weren't enough the stands have been littered with other top prospects who are working the NFL circles as well. I had a chance to speak with Arizona St. QB Andrew Walter who said his rehab is coming along fine and that he isn't ruling out being able to take part in the combine workouts but if nothing else he will definitely be able to show his wares before the Draft in late-April. Clemson CB Justin Miller was in attendance and while he may not have great height I can tell you from standing next to him he is solidly built. At this point he has not decided whether or not he will work out in Indy. Others in attendance were ILB's Channing Crowder of Florida and Odell Thurman of Georgia, RB Ciatrick Fason of Florida, athlete C.J. Leak of Tennessee, OT Trai Essex of Northwestern, WR Dante Ridgeway of Ball St. L.S.U. C Ben Wilkerson was also making the rounds and he told me that he is still about 1-1 1/2 months away in his rehab and won't be able to work out at the combine but he will be in attendance. Then there was also the smattering of others big names including "The Shark" himself, Drew Rosenhaus, making the rounds.

Now, onto the football! The North squad practiced first this morning with K Mike Nugent of Ohio St. and P Cole Farden of Oklahoma St. the first two guys on the field about an hour early. Nugent looked very impressive and was showing off his leg strength with kick attempts in the high-50's and he even nailed a 63-yarder. DE / OLB Trent Cole of Cincinnati looked much better at his new position today which bodes well for his ability to make the move. Ronald Bartell, a sleeper CB prospect from Howard, looked big and smooth and worked at both corner as well as safety again. In my mind his best pro position might be at safety though because he really struggled in man-to-man coverage. CB Abraham Elimimian of Hawaii looked very small but he made some plays today and stood out among the cornerbacks and was especially impressive in coverage. U.N.L.V. S Jamaal Brimmer struggled in coverage and showed poor hands, unable to catch anything clean. On the other hand O.J. Atogwe of Stanford showed good ball skills and continued to make plays.

On the offensive side of the ball Akron QB Charlie Frye continued to look sharp making all the throws and showing a nice touch on the deep ball. The standout of the day however may have been WR Mark Clayton of Oklahoma, who doesn't have ideal size at just a little over 5-9 but runs tremendous routes, has good hands, is quick and a terror after the catch and has the speed to separate. Some team is going to have a steal if they can overlook his stature. Taylor Stubblefield of Purdue also continued to impress at wideout doing everything well and just making the play every opportunity he got. Vincent Jackson of Northern Colorado has garnered serious praise from scouts for how well he moves at his size but he struggled to catch the ball a little again, although he did make a great play near the end of practice when he got seperation and caught a bomb. Finally, Craig Bragg of U.C.L.A. did a nice job on the short and intermediate routes and looks like a nice possession receiver. Along the offensive line Michael Roos of Eastern Washington continued to hold his own and did a nice job when matched up against Matt Roth in one-on-one drills.

When the South took the practice field in the afternoon there was a noticeable difference in the attitude and intensity of the players and the team was much more spirited and feisty than their counterparts. Coach Jon Gruden was working with the quarterbacks on their cadence early and a guy who really stood out was David Greene of Georgia, who showed off his accuracy and was able to make most of the throws. Jason Campbell of Auburn showed nice touch and accuracy, dropping the ball down the chimney to Reggie Brown on one throw, but Brock Berlin of Miami seemed to have to put everything he had on his throws and it still took a while for them to get to their target. Cadillac Williams of Auburn, perhaps the biggest star in attendance, showed off his quickness and was absolutely explosive while Kay-Jay Harris of West Virginia drew oops and ahhs when he absolutely leveled Vincent Fuller on a running play. The two Georgia wideouts, Fred Gibson and Reggie Brown, made some plays with Gibson certainly looking the part but Brown had a little trouble holding onto the ball. TE Alex Holmes of USC is thick and physical but looked stiff and unathletic and didn't leave me all that impressed. One of the big stories of the week is Matt Jones, who is making the move to wide receiver and didn't embarrass himself at all. He is very tall and a little lumbering but he has the speed, quickness and athleticism to make it and even made a nice play where he held onto a ball over the middle despite getting laid out by a big hit. After practice Jones said he just needed reps and is more than willing to make the move from quarterback and appreciates all the top coaching he is getting this week. The secondary is a star studded group and while I hope to spend a lot more time focusing on them tomorrow but a couple of guys who stood out were Carlos Rogers of Auburn and Bryant McFadden of Florida St., while Corey Webster of L.S.U. was very disappointing. James Butler, the S from Georgia Tech was also very impressive in drills.

After the practice I was able to speak with top defensive lineman Shaun Cody of USC and Marcus Spears of L.S.U. Cody is training with Athletes Performance in Los Angeles and hopes to stay inside at tackle while Spears said he is open to playing either end or tackle but feels he has made a lot of progress outside the last couple of years. Both players looked very impressive physically and carry their weight well and look like they would each be able to pack on some more pounds if necessary. And finally, you can take it for what it is worth but after practice scouts usually rush to talk with certain players and here is a list of some of the things I saw: DT Anttaj Hawthorne of Wisconsin was mobbed by Dallas scouts, Carolina talked with J.J. Arrington, Michael Roos and Manuel White, who they told he was a good fit for their system, Baltimore spoke with Adam Terry, Taylor Stubblefield talked with San Francisco and New Orleans, Cincinnati and New Orleans sought out OG Marcus Johnson of Ole Miss, Ben Wilkerson spoke with Kansas City and Corey Webster conversed with Carolina as well as former NFL safety Marcus Robertson, now working with the Titans. Could any of this be a sign of things to come? We shall see.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
That safety from Stanford would make a nice choice if we could get our hands on a third round pick.

Cole might end up in Dallas if he is around in the fifth round.

I bet Spears and Cody are both high on the Cowboy wish list.

Not a big fan of the Bulldog recievers...Brown is a hard worker with little football skills and Gibson has tons of skill but seems to lack desire.