CFZ Fehoko and Tolbert: Who has More Reps and Production in 2022?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The year before this offseason, life was keeping me so busy that I didn't have as much time for football as I would have liked or as I do now. While Gallup is my favorite player currently on the roster, I was also somewhat of a fan of Amari Cooper's. I also knew Gallup was hurt and I knew Fehoko's name and team obviously, but I hadn't had time to watch any games that Fehoko played in at Stanford.

I first saw Fehoko's name and a small clip of him playing when we drafted him, but the clip they showed during the draft wasn't all that impressive, so I thought he was probably the kind of WR you typically get in the 5th round. Assume he wasn't more scrappy and not athletic simply because I never took the time because I didn't have time.

After Cooper was officially cut, I researched Fehoko's games at Stanford and it suddenly clicked that the Cowboys appeared to at least have part of a backup plan in place. Fehoko is a guy who is obviously not as polished as Cooper, but he definitely had the athleticism to match Cooper. When I first took a closer look, I thought he had a lot of similarities to other big-bodied WRs we've had in the past like Owens and Dez.

Slow your rolls. I'm not saying Fehoko is either of those two, but he definitely has some tools. The biggest doubt I had about Fehoko was that he just kind of comes off as sort of a beta male, and I thought he might lack the alpha dog mentality to actually go compete at the NFL level. Only last week did I hear his interview about how he actually views competition at this level: he views it like he's providing for his wife. And that seems like a pragmatic approach if you ask me. So I'm over that part, especially after seeing him quietly come into camp, put his head down, and just play, even when many doubted he'd make the roster.

While some of us get caught up with what we see in games, we just never know if it will translate at the next level or not. But for me, that's always been the most interesting aspect of any pro sport, pondering which players will play at what level, etc. and then who will win the matchups individually and as a team when they do play.

Anyway.

Fast forward to the draft, and I ultimately liked George Pickens, the guy the Steelers ended up drafting, the most of any other WR in this draft. But as I was hanging out in the Draft Zone with the other football nerds on the Zone, I also saw things in Jalen Tolbert that I really liked during the draft albeit against competition from a small school. The way Tolbert played under Major Applewhite was quite impressive, just because he made it look so smooth and easy. I even thought it was possible that down the line he might have the potential to be the best WR in the draft, in hindsight, looking back from the future.

Before the 2022 draft, I discussed the chances of Fehoko being a good player this year with other posters on the board who mostly pointed out what I already knew: that Fehoko really didn't get any playing time last year, and didn't contribute much due to there being quite a bit of depth at the WR positions and the likelihood that he just wasn't ready last year. Since I'm always open to, at the very least, considering the opinion of others, I eventually tempered my personal expectations for Fehoko and figured it was quite possible that maybe he was just one of those guys who had all the tools. While it was possible he would just never really compete at the next level, his athleticism and game tape just gave me a hunch he'd turn the proverbial corner.

While I still see it as a small possibility he won't develop, I'm guessing that things at least start to click with Fehoko in year two of his NFL career.

But I still think Tolbert is closer to being more ready this year than Fehoko likely was last year. And as much as I like Fehoko, Tolbert has enough tools where I could see him edging out Fehoko for reps.

After the draft, I started leaning towards Tolbert being the kind of guy who could come in and play right away (I still think that's possible). And then preseason came along and it was just really difficult to assess where he was as far as being an NFL ready receiver able to contribute right away. I'm still basing my speculations off of what little we saw of him in preseason, and his college tape.

Even though Fehoko had two preseason TDs, it's still difficult to say how ready he or Tolbert are for the next level (yes, I'm getting to the point).

Thankfully, I did some research tonight on an article I thought I read a couple months back that talked about Gallup undergoing a new procedure for torn ACL's. The new procedure that I read about tonight involves less recovery time, and the writer implied that Gallup could be coming back to play earlier than most players do, Adrian Peterson aside. And I it looks like there is indeed a new procedure. So that gives me hope my personal favorite play on the current team will return sooner rather than mid-season or later, which is what I've been prepared for until Jerry recently said Gallup won't be on the PUP or IR.

"This is truly a cutting edge procedure,” explained Dr. Varacallo. “In traditional ACL surgeries, the pressurized tunnels can be risk factors for re-injury because they can take up to six or seven months to heal. However, with the Fertilized ACL procedure, the tunnels heal faster because the graft starts to incorporate into the body faster. In fact, four weeks post surgery, you cannot even see the bone tunnels."

So, it comes down to a numbers game on the depth chart behind Lamb, Gallup and likely Brown (even though the Cowboys have been quiet about who of those players will play). If Gallup returns earlier than reports initially said, we'll have more WRs than we thought we would have coming into the season. So for all the TL:DR posters out there, I'll get to the point of the post now, and the most fun part of being a fan, for me, at least, and ask the question I've been beating around the Bush about asking.

Between Fehoko and Tolbert, which player do you think gets more reps from the Cowboys in 2022? I'm not asking this question so we can look back or have bragging rights. I'm asking because I am genuinely interested in what the Cowboys will do and I'm also interested to hear others' thoughts on how close or far apart other fans see these two players?

I honestly can't call it. I think it's about 45/55 either way. But I'm going with Fehoko having a 100 more yards than Tolbert, and a TD or two more. The reason I go with Fehoko is athleticism. While Tolbert appears to be a slightly better route runner at first glance, Simi's routes aren't terrible. Having played corner in high school, I would least want to have to cover Fehoko all game. Not that the end result wouldn't be any different than getting torched by both guys.

I know some will say it doesn't matter. And others will cry that I'm trying to start a controversy. But that is not true. I like both of these guys a lot.

I suspect that Fehoko ends up having a nice career in the NFL. I also think the same about Tolbert. It just comes down to who gets more reps, because there's only one ball. And I see McCarthy and Moore having more faith in Fehoko because Simi seems to have really improved during the offseason.

I have a feeling that Simi will eventually be a baller. The question is can he be the kind of player who puts us over the top on offense, at times, much like Cooper did in close games.

Only time will tell, but I get more excited about this team every day. If Gallup returns playing like he did pre-ACL tear, and Tolbert and Fehoko match the production of Cooper and Wilson, I think we're in for a wild and surprising ride this season.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Darn, bro, I stopped reading after the first 3 paragraphs. Boy can you write!!! :D I did skim through the rest. Good stuff. I'll eventually read it all, but I get what you're asking.

At first, I was hyping Jalen Tolbert coming out of the draft because I was impressed with his draft highlights video. I did like Simi Fehoko's last year as well, but I was disappointed in how Simi did not grab on last year at all.

Sad to say, looks like Jalen pulled a Simi this rookie camp. He flashed a few catches early but seemed to disappear. Meanwhile, Simi has incredibly pushed his game to another level or two. He truly has impressed throughout camp and preseason games this year. It's nice to see him use his height, athletic ability and speed to win some of his match ups. Hope he doesn't get stage fright once the season starts on the 11th, and instead, makes some noise when he's out there on the field. The same goes for Jalen, but I think he's going to need a little more time. Overall, Simi has a leg up over Jalen right now.

Rayman70

Reaction score
If I am forced 2 pick, I say Simi. What I wanna say is neither guy. I think we will lean heavily on the 3 tight ends and the 2 running backs. Ceedee will struggle early and often, then hit his stride later IF we can address the oline better. Gallup will be a slow go this year. It will be a struggle. The 1 Godsend will be the tightends we have can be special and dynamic. I think Dak will rely on all 3 early and often. Much like New England did a few years back. We will need the all hands on deck approach.

JBS

Reaction score
If I am forced 2 pick, I say Simi. What I wanna say is neither guy. I think we will lean heavily on the 3 tight ends and the 2 running backs. Ceedee will struggle early and often, then hit his stride later IF we can address the oline better. Gallup will be a slow go this year. It will be a struggle. The 1 Godsend will be the tightends we have can be special and dynamic. I think Dak will rely on all 3 early and often. Much like New England did a few years back. We will need the all hands on deck approach.

ceedee is going to struggle zero. The ball is going to be force fed to him all game every game. He will get his numbers. No matter how bad the offense is.

Rayman70

Reaction score
ceedee is going to struggle zero. The ball is going to be force fed to him all game every game. He will get his numbers. No matter how bad the offense is.
ok Karnack. Lets see. I hope your right and Im wrong.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The year before this offseason, life was keeping me so busy that I didn't have as much time for football as I would have liked or as I do now. While Gallup is my favorite player currently on the roster, I was also somewhat of a fan of Amari Cooper's. I also knew Gallup was hurt and I knew Fehoko's name and team obviously, but I hadn't had time to watch any games that Fehoko played in at Stanford.

I first saw Fehoko's name and a small clip of him playing when we drafted him, but the clip they showed during the draft wasn't all that impressive, so I thought he was probably the kind of WR you typically get in the 5th round. Assume he wasn't more scrappy and not athletic simply because I never took the time because I didn't have time.

After Cooper was officially cut, I researched Fehoko's games at Stanford and it suddenly clicked that the Cowboys appeared to at least have part of a backup plan in place. Fehoko is a guy who is obviously not as polished as Cooper, but he definitely had the athleticism to match Cooper. When I first took a closer look, I thought he had a lot of similarities to other big-bodied WRs we've had in the past like Owens and Dez.

Slow your rolls. I'm not saying Fehoko is either of those two, but he definitely has some tools. The biggest doubt I had about Fehoko was that he just kind of comes off as sort of a beta male, and I thought he might lack the alpha dog mentality to actually go compete at the NFL level. Only last week did I hear his interview about how he actually views competition at this level: he views it like he's providing for his wife. And that seems like a pragmatic approach if you ask me. So I'm over that part, especially after seeing him quietly come into camp, put his head down, and just play, even when many doubted he'd make the roster.

While some of us get caught up with what we see in games, we just never know if it will translate at the next level or not. But for me, that's always been the most interesting aspect of any pro sport, pondering which players will play at what level, etc. and then who will win the matchups individually and as a team when they do play.

Anyway.

Fast forward to the draft, and I ultimately liked George Pickens, the guy the Steelers ended up drafting, the most of any other WR in this draft. But as I was hanging out in the Draft Zone with the other football nerds on the Zone, I also saw things in Jalen Tolbert that I really liked during the draft albeit against competition from a small school. The way Tolbert played under Major Applewhite was quite impressive, just because he made it look so smooth and easy. I even thought it was possible that down the line he might have the potential to be the best WR in the draft, in hindsight, looking back from the future.

Before the 2022 draft, I discussed the chances of Fehoko being a good player this year with other posters on the board who mostly pointed out what I already knew: that Fehoko really didn't get any playing time last year, and didn't contribute much due to there being quite a bit of depth at the WR positions and the likelihood that he just wasn't ready last year. Since I'm always open to, at the very least, considering the opinion of others, I eventually tempered my personal expectations for Fehoko and figured it was quite possible that maybe he was just one of those guys who had all the tools. While it was possible he would just never really compete at the next level, his athleticism and game tape just gave me a hunch he'd turn the proverbial corner.

While I still see it as a small possibility he won't develop, I'm guessing that things at least start to click with Fehoko in year two of his NFL career.

But I still think Tolbert is closer to being more ready this year than Fehoko likely was last year. And as much as I like Fehoko, Tolbert has enough tools where I could see him edging out Fehoko for reps.

After the draft, I started leaning towards Tolbert being the kind of guy who could come in and play right away (I still think that's possible). And then preseason came along and it was just really difficult to assess where he was as far as being an NFL ready receiver able to contribute right away. I'm still basing my speculations off of what little we saw of him in preseason, and his college tape.

Even though Fehoko had two preseason TDs, it's still difficult to say how ready he or Tolbert are for the next level (yes, I'm getting to the point).

Thankfully, I did some research tonight on an article I thought I read a couple months back that talked about Gallup undergoing a new procedure for torn ACL's. The new procedure that I read about tonight involves less recovery time, and the writer implied that Gallup could be coming back to play earlier than most players do, Adrian Peterson aside. And I it looks like there is indeed a new procedure. So that gives me hope my personal favorite play on the current team will return sooner rather than mid-season or later, which is what I've been prepared for until Jerry recently said Gallup won't be on the PUP or IR.

"This is truly a cutting edge procedure,” explained Dr. Varacallo. “In traditional ACL surgeries, the pressurized tunnels can be risk factors for re-injury because they can take up to six or seven months to heal. However, with the Fertilized ACL procedure, the tunnels heal faster because the graft starts to incorporate into the body faster. In fact, four weeks post surgery, you cannot even see the bone tunnels."

So, it comes down to a numbers game on the depth chart behind Lamb, Gallup and likely Brown (even though the Cowboys have been quiet about who of those players will play). If Gallup returns earlier than reports initially said, we'll have more WRs than we thought we would have coming into the season. So for all the TL:DR posters out there, I'll get to the point of the post now, and the most fun part of being a fan, for me, at least, and ask the question I've been beating around the Bush about asking.

Between Fehoko and Tolbert, which player do you think gets more reps from the Cowboys in 2022? I'm not asking this question so we can look back or have bragging rights. I'm asking because I am genuinely interested in what the Cowboys will do and I'm also interested to hear others' thoughts on how close or far apart other fans see these two players?

I honestly can't call it. I think it's about 45/55 either way. But I'm going with Fehoko having a 100 more yards than Tolbert, and a TD or two more. The reason I go with Fehoko is athleticism. While Tolbert appears to be a slightly better route runner at first glance, Simi's routes aren't terrible. Having played corner in high school, I would least want to have to cover Fehoko all game. Not that the end result wouldn't be any different than getting torched by both guys.

I know some will say it doesn't matter. And others will cry that I'm trying to start a controversy. But that is not true. I like both of these guys a lot.

I suspect that Fehoko ends up having a nice career in the NFL. I also think the same about Tolbert. It just comes down to who gets more reps, because there's only one ball. And I see McCarthy and Moore having more faith in Fehoko because Simi seems to have really improved during the offseason.

I have a feeling that Simi will eventually be a baller. The question is can he be the kind of player who puts us over the top on offense, at times, much like Cooper did in close games.

Only time will tell, but I get more excited about this team every day. If Gallup returns playing like he did pre-ACL tear, and Tolbert and Fehoko match the production of Cooper and Wilson, I think we're in for a wild and surprising ride this season.
Simi is only on this team because because of how thin we are at WR.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Im sorry, but I dont see anything more than end of the roster player in him. I dont see him making most rosters

He's been one of it not the most consistent receiver all thru TC & preseason from the reports I have seen. 2nd year growth for a player that has the physical tools. I think he would make almost any NFL roster.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
You don't draft a guy in a third round just to have you sitting around. So Tolbert gets more reps.

I'd rather see Brandon Smith more than Simi Fehoko. Just saying.

J-man

Reaction score
1*8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA.jpeg

quickccc

Reaction score
@Pass2Run, ... whoooa, that's waay too long and drawn out introduction .. i don't think i even see BTB articles that drawn out ..lol

To the point, i think Simi Feheko will be ahead and be more productive than Tolbert this year in 2022.

Simi has developed some, been coached up some, and gain more of a familiarity and QB rapport than the current status rookie Jalen Tolbert is.
He's a year ahead of Tolbert in this respect.

Plus he has definite physical attributes per size/speed ratio that could be very impactful if utilized well.

It will be interesting to see what roles both will have that is gonna have to be competed for either one to get on the field.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Ok. Find me #1 WRs who struggle while putting up WR1 numbers

guys put up numbers every year because they are "force fed" the ball. it doesn't make them a #1. it doesn't make them efficient. it just means they are the beneficiary of a "situation".

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Anyway.

That's a tough question as both players are huge unknowns.
Tolbert has not shown much in preseason so I am guessing Fehoko by default?