Felix, faster than we think...

PoetTree

Reaction score
Okay, so, I know we all know that Felix is pretty fast, faster than his combine 40-time (4.47) would suggest. Who knows? Maybe he ran a poor time that day. Maybe 40-times aren't quite as indicative of a player's "true" speed as we think it is. My evidence?

Well, take The Cat's 98-yard TD return. During the second half of the return, it appears that Felix is being caught by Quentin Demps (who himself ran a 4.39 at the combine). But after watching that play about 20 times, often in slow-mo, I have come to an entirely different conclusion:

After bursting through the perfectly-blocked wedge, Felix makes a very subtle move to evade the kicker. But it's at this point that Mr. Demps, who had began sprinting to catch up with Felix some 5 yards before, was hitting his top-gear. Although the move Felix used to slip by the kicker was masterfully simple, it did rob him of some speed; juking back towards his right for a moment, dipping his shoulder deftly that way... and then sprinting with astonishing explosion (running "sideways", as JJT reported) back to the left around Akers.

Seriously. Watch The Cat's sheer athleticism on that play. The burst he had, even at that awkward angle & already moving at such a high rate of speed, makes me see there's a at least V-10 in that puppy that still has plenty of torque even at high RPMs!

*ahem* Yeah, an engine analogy. What of it?

Anyway, after Felix gets by David and flattens out down the sideline, Demps, who gained ground during the slow-down Felix underwent to evade the kicker, gets within 2 yards of Felix Jones and appears to be closing. At about the 50-yard-line Felix glances to his right, sees Demps, looks straight ahead, and from that point on, slowly but surely, the cushion between them grows by a yard -- until Felix curves to the right just before the endzone, and Demps reaches & flails to the ground.

My point? Felix is fast! I mean, really fast. As I said, faster than his combine 40-time (4.47) would suggest. Faster than Demps (4.39), apparently. But maybe not faster than Stanback, who I've seen cited as running anywhere from 4.45 to 4.54 -- but whose "true" speed obviously belies the clock.

And to put it in even weirder perspective, this past weekend we just watched Darren McFadden (4.27 & 4.33 at the combine) get run down from behind at a dead sprint along the sideline by strong safety Bernard Pollard -- who ran a 4.57 at the combine!

Crazy stuff. But hey, maybe Felix should coach his old teammate on how not to get caught, eh?

:bow:

Peace!
Poet

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
I'm more amazed by his other returns that night believe it or not. He sets up the blockers very well, has great patience... but what's really fun to watch is that he just explodes throught the smallest of openings.. and he did it all night. He has a very fluid and very quick natural acceleration and burst.

Reaction score
PoetTree;2269224 said:
Okay, so, I know we all know that Felix is pretty fast, faster than his combine 40-time (4.47) would suggest. Who knows? Maybe he ran a poor time that day. Maybe 40-times aren't quite as indicative of a player's "true" speed as we think it is. My evidence?

Well, take The Cat's 98-yard TD return. During the second half of the return, it appears that Felix is being caught by Quentin Demps (who himself ran a 4.39 at the combine). But after watching that play about 20 times, often in slow-mo, I have come to an entirely different conclusion:

After bursting through the perfectly-blocked wedge, Felix makes a very subtle move to evade the kicker. But it's at this point that Mr. Demps, who had began sprinting to catch up with Felix some 5 yards before, was hitting his top-gear. Although the move Felix used to slip by the kicker was masterfully simple, it did rob him of some speed; juking back towards his right for a moment, dipping his shoulder deftly that way... and then sprinting with astonishing explosion (running "sideways", as JJT reported) back to the left around Akers.

Seriously. Watch The Cat's sheer athleticism on that play. The burst he had, even at that awkward angle & already moving at such a high rate of speed, makes me see there's a at least V-10 in that puppy that still has plenty of torque even at high RPMs!

*ahem* Yeah, an engine analogy. What of it?

Anyway, after Felix gets by David and flattens out down the sideline, Demps, who gained ground during the slow-down Felix underwent to evade the kicker, gets within 2 yards of Felix Jones and appears to be closing. At about the 50-yard-line Felix glances to his right, sees Demps, looks straight ahead, and from that point on, slowly but surely, the cushion between them grows by a yard -- until Felix curves to the right just before the endzone, and Demps reaches & flails to the ground.

My point? Felix is fast! I mean, really fast. As I said, faster than his combine 40-time (4.47) would suggest. Faster than Demps (4.39), apparently. But maybe not faster than Stanback, who I've seen cited as running anywhere from 4.45 to 4.54 -- but whose "true" speed obviously belies the clock.

And to put it in even weirder perspective, this past weekend we just watched Darren McFadden (4.27 & 4.33 at the combine) get run down from behind at a dead sprint along the sideline by strong safety Bernard Pollard -- who ran a 4.57 at the combine!

Crazy stuff. But hey, maybe Felix should coach his old teammate on how not to get caught, eh?

:bow:

Peace!
Poet

There is a thing called game speed and Jones has game speed.

Not everybody is good running 40 times because it isn't something they really practice.

Coming out of the BLOCKS in the 40 is crucial. That is why guys hire track stars like Micheal Johnson an Olympic sprinter.

Good post!

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
PoetTree;2269224 said:
But maybe not faster than Stanback, who I've seen cited as running anywhere from 4.45 to 4.54 -- but whose "true" speed obviously belies the clock.

All of Stanback's 40 times were estimated, because he never ran a 40. He ran a 10.48 in the 100 meters, which is pretty darn fast.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I really don't think he looks that much faster than his timed speed. He just has a quick burst, good vision, is decisive, and can change direction very well.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
theogt;2269285 said:
I really don't think he looks that much faster than his timed speed. He just has a quick burst, good vision, is decisive, and can change direction very well.

I agree. He doesn't look like a burner. But it's not all about speed on the playing field. Otherwise, track stars would make great football players. But track stars don't have to worry about angles and dodging guys who are headed like missiles ready to tackle you.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
proline;2269304 said:
When I watch Felix run, Tony Dorsett comes to mind.

I can't tell you who reminds you of whom, but Felix DOES NOT remind me of Tony Dorsett. Dorsett was a very unique runner. I don't know if I've seen any back that mimics his running style. And he's my favorite Cowboys player, the one who turned me to a Cowboys fan.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If his 40 time is the reason he fell to the 22nd pick in the draft, thank God he's slow.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I think Felix has good enough speed. Good enough to succeed in the NFL. He is faster than Emmitt and look what his career was like. It is so temping to look at 40 times when you are drafting a guy, but Tyson Thompson was real fast and had no moves. I don't think anyone can argue that Felix doesn't have moves, fast or not.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think Jones biggest physical strengths are his

1. Quickness

2. Vision

3. Agility

4. Speed

In that order. He does all 4 at a very high level.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
it's the classic case of playing faster in pads

Felix doesn't lose any speed when he makes his cuts, which allows him to maintain his speed, which isn't exactly slow, or average, some players who run blistering 40s can't do that, and it robs them of their on-field speed

this added to the burst that he can utilize at any moment makes him that much faster