Felix, faster than we think...

VACowboy

Reaction score
theogt;2269285 said:
I really don't think he looks that much faster than his timed speed. He just has a quick burst, good vision, is decisive, and can change direction very well.

Maybe that's what "game speed" means.

Still, once he was through the crowd, there was no accelerating to be done, nothing to view and no decisions to make. Beating everyone else from the 50 to the endzone didn't take anything but pure speed. Nobody ran him down.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Stanback seriously shot out of a cannon on that play just like TO did when Crayton scored last year against the Rams.

You guys who want to give up on Stanback should be pimp slapped.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Agree with theo. I don't think Felix is that fast compared to other NFL players. He just has the great vision and quickness that gets him that step ahead of everyone, and then he has at least enough speed to stay ahead of everyone.

But it's the same reason so many of the really good backs over the years like Payton, Emmitt, and others haven't needed the really tremendous speed. The vision and feel for the soft spots in the D more than make up for it. A fast guy who runs into people isn't much good. (See Julius.)

BigDave95

Reaction score
Felix doesn't have great straight line speed. He got caught from behind on more than one occasion in college. What makes him special is his quickness in and out of cuts. He doesn't lose any speed when making breaks and his lateral acceleration is nothing short of amazing.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Felix doesn't look fast at all. But if you watch all the players that try to tackle him, they all take bad angles. By the time they get to where they thought Jones would be he's gone. That's why you see alot of shoe string tackles on Jones.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Felix does have terrific vision, balance and instincts. Still, the thrust of the original post is that:

A) Felix ran a 4.47 forty at the combine.

B) Demps ran a 4.39 forty at the combine.

C) Felix was a couple of yards ahead of Demps at about the 50 yard line.

D) Neither player was inhibited by anything from there to the endzone (although Felix did have to carry a football).

E) With both players running full out, Felix was pulling away from Demps.

F) Felix is faster than Demps when playing football.

Conclusion: The forty times at the combine aren't always correct, although they are indicative of a players speed or lack of speed.

IMO, the training that players get on coming out of the blocks and running a forty yard dash has skewed the results a little bit... not to mention that players carry their pads differently (i.e. pads slow down some more than others).

That's why I was saying that I don't care what Mendenhall ran at the combine... Felix is a good deal faster playing football than him.

When McFadden and Felix entered the draft, everyone said Felix was the faster of the two... after the combine, nobody said that. However, once football began, we see DMC get caught by a safety and Felix outrunning everyone.

This is a very good lesson to remember. Take the combine and pro day forty's with a big grain of salt. Not only is there a lot more to football than speed... but that speed (track) isn't always translated to on the football field speed.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
These guys are not track stars, they are football players. Thats why when you look at a player you have to evaluate football speed.

cowboyz

Reaction score
i wasn't sure if it was stanback that caught up and slowed him down a little or what. but i thought demps was tracking jones down. then jones just explodes.

PoetTree

Reaction score
AsthmaField;2269597 said:
Felix does have terrific vision, balance and instincts. Still, the thrust of the original post is that:

A) Felix ran a 4.47 forty at the combine.

B) Demps ran a 4.39 forty at the combine.

C) Felix was a couple of yards ahead of Demps at about the 50 yard line.

D) Neither player was inhibited by anything from there to the endzone (although Felix did have to carry a football).

E) With both players running full out, Felix was pulling away from Demps.

F) Felix is faster than Demps when playing football.

Conclusion: The forty times at the combine aren't always correct, although they are indicative of a players speed or lack of speed.

IMO, the training that players get on coming out of the blocks and running a forty yard dash has skewed the results a little bit... not to mention that players carry their pads differently (i.e. pads slow down some more than others).

That's why I was saying that I don't care what Mendenhall ran at the combine... Felix is a good deal faster playing football than him.

When McFadden and Felix entered the draft, everyone said Felix was the faster of the two... after the combine, nobody said that. However, once football began, we see DMC get caught by a safety and Felix outrunning everyone.

This is a very good lesson to remember. Take the combine and pro day forty's with a big grain of salt. Not only is there a lot more to football than speed... but that speed (track) isn't always translated to on the football field speed.

:fact:

CoCo

Reaction score
Its quite possible that Demps would beat Felix on a football field at 40 yds.

But this race was 100 yards - and Felix won :)

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
One of Felix's biggest assets is his acceleration. Look at how he explodes through the whole after first allowing the wedge to open it up for him. I am very excited about this player....there are many more TD's to come from this kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk8SW3HKFlQ

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
Bungarian;2269253 said:
Seems like a wasted post.

pot_calls_kettle_black.bmp

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
It appears Stanback has a much higher top end speed than all of them. He caught up and easily could have over taken Felix. Both have speed to burn.

ComicBookGuy

Reaction score
Stanback was insane on that KO return. He is blocking a guy until about the 25 yard line. At this point he is just beginning to take off while Felix is at full sprint and has about an 8 yard head start (when you take into account Felix's lead down the field and the additional distance horizontal distance). He would've likely caught Felix around the 10-5 yard line. Ridiculous speed.

sbark

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2269279 said:
uhh, Stanback is faster than we thought...:eek:

yup.....he closed on both of them like a F-15 with the afterburners on.....

figure out a way to use Felix, Bennent, Stanbach, Austin Mr. Garrett.......

get them ready to go, gonna need them to fill in at some point....injuries seem to happen in the nfl.......
:eek:

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Stanback obviously has long distance speed, as shown on the kickoff return. But we all knew that given his fast 100 time in college. Does he have burst and acceleration in small spaces, though? And why hasn't he been able to use that speed to burn at least one defender in a preseason game? Those are some of the questions I have about him.

Physical specimen, but does he really have the wide receiver position learned yet? I like his potential and agree he's worth developing. I also think he's still quite a bit away from being a remotely polished receiver.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
VACowboy;2269503 said:
Maybe that's what "game speed" means.

Still, once he was through the crowd, there was no accelerating to be done, nothing to view and no decisions to make. Beating everyone else from the 50 to the endzone didn't take anything but pure speed. Nobody ran him down.

Stanback hawked him down! :D

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
1) Felix is a fast player and probably 4.45 range as combine stated. On a return like that you hit a hole unhit defenders can't run you down from behind. Stanback was in that play because he had an agle on Felix - 4.5 for a big guy like Stanback is impressive.