Ferguson and Rivera

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Are restructuring their contracts according to Nick Eatman. Is this a cap saving move or is Dallas just trying to get back something for the lack of production. How much could they really save us?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends said:
Are restructuring their contracts according to Nick Eatman. Is this a cap saving move or is Dallas just trying to get back something for the lack of production. How much could they really save us?
$4.8 mil each from what I remember Adam saying

VirusX

Reaction score
They are saving cap space because we are going to make some major signings in the FA market.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I think it has something to do with NLTBE incentives written into their contracts. I think they normally don't count against the cap but because of the expiration of the CBA, they will now count against the cap.

They are really of no financial significance to the players - just some accounting tricks going on.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
The Cowboys put bogus $4.8 million LTBE incentives into their contracts for 2006. (I'm not sure, but I think it was based on some ridiculous amount of special teams playing time.) It was money they'd obviously never earn, but because of the 30 percent rule, it raised the amount by which their salaries could increase each season after 2006.

Many teams used this device to comply with the 30 percent rule, thinking that when the CBA was extended and the 30 percent rule no longer applied to 2006, they'd just remove the incentives. Some contracts, including those of Rivera and Ferguson, even stated that the incentive would be voided if the CBA was extended. But because the CBA hasn't been extended -- which nobody really expected -- the contracts have to be restructured to comply with the 30 percent rule while also removing the bogus incentives (which count against the cap). Fortunately for the Cowboys, the restructuring necessary to get those two contracts to comply is minimal and can recoup almost all of that $9.6 million in bogus cap charges.

DaBoyz73

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
The Cowboys put bogus $4.8 million LTBE incentives into their contracts for 2006. (I'm not sure, but I think it was based on some ridiculous amount of special teams playing time.) It was money they'd obviously never earn, but because of the 30 percent rule, it raised the amount by which their salaries could increase each season after 2006.

Many teams used this device to comply with the 30 percent rule, thinking that when the CBA was extended and the 30 percent rule no longer applied to 2006, they'd just remove the incentives. Some contracts, including those of Rivera and Ferguson, even stated that the incentive would be voided if the CBA was extended. But because the CBA hasn't been extended -- which nobody really expected -- the contracts have to be restructured to comply with the 30 percent rule while also removing the bogus incentives (which count against the cap). Fortunately for the Cowboys, the restructuring necessary to get those two contracts to comply is minimal and can recoup almost all of that $9.6 million in bogus cap charges.

This is excellent news!

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score
So how much money should we have now that the contracts are being reworked and Glover has been released (along with the players such as Blade, etc)?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Props to AdamJT -- he's been talking about this move for MONTHS now while supposedly knowledgeable writers have been saying we were 2 mill over the cap.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AdamJT13 said:
Fortunately for the Cowboys, the restructuring necessary to get those two contracts to comply is minimal and can recoup almost all of that $9.6 million in bogus cap charges.
Whoever came up with this is a genius. Stephen Jones?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Whoever came up with this is a genius. Stephen Jones?

I think tons of teams do this. It is a pretty common loophole.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

Thanks Adam. Great work!

sago1

Reaction score
We also need Dat to formally retire before Monday; if he doesn't the Cowboys can simply put him on the retirement list. That will give us an additional $1.8M. Combine that with Glover's $6M, restructure Riveria & Ferguson contracts each for a total of $9.2M and we talking about $17M cap savings. Since we were already $3M under the cap that means we about $20M under the cap.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys don't bring Campbell back if they believe he can't regain his previous blocking skill. No mention of cutting Singleton so we probably hang on to him and see how things develop in FA & the draft. If we add a vet LB, particularly one like Cowart who familiar with 3-4, then Singleton might be in trouble.