Ferguson blew the play on Alexander's 1st down run at the end

Michael88Irvin

Reaction score
Just watched the replay, and was not sure who the hell that was on our D-line that broke RIGHT (and rode up on D Ware's back) essentially double teaming the TIGHT END outside their LT and both by-passing him on the outside THEREBY creating that gaping hole...

as it turned out, it was Ferguson (our "run stuffing - middle clogging DT") who ended up OUTSIDE of D Ware and Alexander ran right through the hole where Ferguson started that play.

See for yourself... it makes you sick. We stop them on that play, we definitely get the ball back with plenty of time and great field position.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
As I said last night, yes the blame will fall on ROMO...but the defense came up small on the last two drives by Seattle.

That's a fact.

Romo's drop was a fluke.

The defense coming up small was not.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Juke99;1296808 said:
As I said last night, yes the blame will fall on ROMO...but the defense came up small on the last two drives by Seattle.

That's a fact.

Romo's drop was a fluke.

When does this defense not come up small when they are needed the most?

CoCo

Reaction score
Juke99;1296808 said:

That's a fact.

Romo's drop was a fluke.

And only Romo's botched hold prevented our D from coming up small again. I don't believe for a second that we'd have prevented a Seattle FG opportunity with 1:00+ still left on the clock.

We needed that Witten 1st down to run the rest of the clock off before a winning score.

cnhnyy

Reaction score
CoCo;1296817 said:
And only Romo's botched hold prevented our D from coming up small again. I don't believe for a second that we'd have prevented a Seattle FG opportunity with 1:00+ still left on the clock.

We needed that Witten 1st down to run the rest of the clock off before a winning score.

I totally agree. Seahawks/any team would make a drive in 1 minute and kick a winning FG against the D. I mean, they just gave up a TD in four plays in the earlier drive.

I am not saying the loss is D's fault. Romo/Glenn lost the game, but the defense folded again at the end ( the later TD and Alexander's 1 st down run at the end)

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
That "d" and more importantly that idiot defensive coordinator stink......I had no confidence they could stop Seattle had they scored anyhow.

RxMan

Reaction score
I think the D just tried to shoot a gap and maybe get lucky and get a safety. That's why Roy was out of position. Tried to guess the hole and shoot through. Should have just played solid D and got the ball back on the 50 with 30 seconds left.

ologan

Reaction score
Michael88Irvin;1296804 said:
Just watched the replay, and was not sure who the hell that was on our D-line that broke RIGHT (and rode up on D Ware's back) essentially double teaming the TIGHT END outside their LT and both by-passing him on the outside THEREBY creating that gaping hole...

as it turned out, it was Ferguson (our "run stuffing - middle clogging DT") who ended up OUTSIDE of D Ware and Alexander ran right through the hole where Ferguson started that play.

See for yourself... it makes you sick. We stop them on that play, we definitely get the ball back with plenty of time and great field position.

I thought the same thing,but that play,as huge as any in the game,I believe came on 1st. down. Had they not made it,they had two more to try and get it. I'm firmly beginning to believe that it just wasn't in the stars or the cards for us to win...too many hills for us to climb!

DipChit

Reaction score
Yeah that play sucked but to hang this one on the D in any way really would be pushing it.

We scored 13 offensive points. Thats not good enough especu\ially when you know your D isnt that stout going in and you know you have an offense that actually is capable of scoring twice that many.

Member the 90's team?

From 92-95 we scored at least 27 in every playoff game. 40 in the first playoff game in '96. Not all those points came on offense, but still.

From that point on we lost the next 3 playoff games in the decade. Scoring 17, 7, and 10. Even in '96, '98, and '99 our defense was still pretty decent.. ranking 3rd, 3rd and 5th respectively in points allowed. Didnt matter though when you cant hardly score yourself.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I know Romosapiens are doing all they can to try and put the blame on someone else, but to blame Ferguson is a bit of a stretch don't you think?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
He was blaming him for that one play not the game. You can't blame any one person for any game.

And, I do believe if Alexander doesn't have that big run and Seattle is stopped without a first down, the Cowboys still win the game.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Michael88Irvin;1296804 said:

I went back and watched the entire fourth quarter and recapped it here.

But yeah, Ferguson was awful on that play. BUT also watch James get BLOWN up by the offensive line and Roy runs right past the play, again.

Some one needs to teach Roy to play under control because if he made the tackle on the third and one run to Alexander, where he flew into the backfield out of control and missed the play, it might have made a big difference.

The very next play was the TD pass...uh in which Roy and James blew the coverage.

btcutter

Reaction score
Defense may not have been spectacular but it gave up 19 points. It held Seattle to several FG instead of TDs and stops Seattle when they had 1st and goal for no points. Were they great or perfect...NO....but they did a decent job for a win. Offense was bad....poor play design and play calling along with our pathetic OL play doomed us.

Don't put the blame on the D. The O was more at fault if you wanted to point fingers.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
btcutter;1298888 said:
Defense may not have been spectacular but it gave up 19 points. It held Seattle to several FG instead of TDs and stops Seattle when they had 1st and goal for no points. Were they great or perfect...NO....but they did a decent job for a win. Offense was bad....poor play design and play calling along with our pathetic OL play doomed us.

Don't put the blame on the D. The O was more at fault if you wanted to point fingers.

I don't agree.

The way I see things, when the fourth quarter started, we had a lead that the defense didn't hold.

I recapped it here in the Fan Zone.

That was an awful display by the defense.

The game could have been 55-52 going into the fourth quarter and if the defense stepped up and played well to hold the lead, I'd give them credit.

Conversely, if the score of the game was 7-0 and the defense gave up 10 points in the fourth quarter, I'd not be happy with their performance.

Ya know, I really don't care if the take off was great...the pilot provided a smooth ride...the food was good...and the in flight movie great...I want the damn plane to land.

ReturnToGlory

Reaction score
RxMan;1297406 said:
I think the D just tried to shoot a gap and maybe get lucky and get a safety. That's why Roy was out of position. Tried to guess the hole and shoot through. Should have just played solid D and got the ball back on the 50 with 30 seconds left.

It's unfortunate that the defense was not more aware of the situation which I blame on the lack of a leader on D. Imagine if Ray Lewis was our MLB. Despite what just happened he would have fired everyone up telling them that if we hold here, we have a very good shot. Or a coach could have huddled up the D to motivate them and calm them down.

A three and out means ball at mid field, 45 seconds to go with no timeouts. More than enough to kick a winning field goal.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Juke99;1298898 said:
I don't agree.

The way I see things, when the fourth quarter started, we had a lead that the defense didn't hold.

I recapped it here in the Fan Zone.

That was an awful display by the defense.

The game could have been 55-52 going into the fourth quarter and if the defense stepped up and played well to hold the lead, I'd give them credit.

Conversely, if the score of the game was 7-0 and the defense gave up 10 points in the fourth quarter, I'd not be happy with their performance.

Ya know, I really don't care if the take off was great...the pilot provided a smooth ride...the food was good...and the in flight movie great...I want the damn plane to land.

:lmao: Good one. The boys in the "tower" didn't impress me either, again.....

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1299030 said:
:lmao: Good one. The boys in the "tower" didn't impress me either, again.....

On the nosey.

I am so tired of "Well the defense played well most of the game..." etc.

Ya see, the way I look at it....If you're ahead in a championship fight and you get knocked out in the last round, you lose.

They dont say "Well, I know you got knocked out but because you were ahead on points and had a GREAT couple of rounds early in the fight, we're going to give you the win"

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Juke99;1296808 said:

That's a fact.

Romo's drop was a fluke.

I agree. 20-something FG attempts, something like 60+ PATs. 1 bad hold.

But that D was a question coming into the game. They played well, but still gave up the 2 big games.. one gave up the lead, the other lost the game.