Fifteen Prospects You Need to Know; some of them u know

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Fifteen Prospects You Need to Know
Written by Eric Galko
Sunday, 31 January 2010 21:09
Of course, following the Senior Bowl, everyone is talking about Tim Tebow, which really isn’t unexpected. However, there are a few prospects that, following their senior seasons and post season All-Star games, should be talked about as well.

As the draft season goes into full swing after the Super Bowl, knowing these soon be to risers in the draft is a must-do for any draft follower for the 2010 NFL draft.

John Skelton, QB, Fordham
Remember Joe Flacco’s rise from an FCS program to being the 1st round pick and future of the Baltimore Ravens? Well, I can’t see that meteoric of a rise from Skelton, but he is the same type of prospect: perfect NFL quarterback size, rocket arm, improving footwork, and great coaching ability. He could go as high as mid round 2.

Matt Nichols, QB, Eastern Washington
Even less known than Skelton, Optimum Scouting’s Tyler Shannon has been touting Nichols as a top level quarterback prospect since the earlier part of the year. Nichols has good enough size and the passing ability of any other quarterback in this class. He showed good skills at the East-West Shrine game and may get a combine invite as well.

Mike Kafka, QB, Northwestern
Kafka is another in a long line of Northwestern quarterbacks who will get a look at the NFL. Kafka is more athletic than CJ Bacher was last season, and is a more polished passer. He’s got a quick release, moves well, and has good accuracy. Kafka wasn’t outstanding in college, but his East-West Shrine practices really have boosted his stock.

Joique Bell, RB, Wayne State
Bell, the winner of the Harlon Hill trophy, Division 2’s version of the Heisman trophy, has emerged as a solid prospect this off-season. He has shown that he has the talent of a Division 1 prospect, and through the East-West Shrine game and Senior Bowl, he’s emerged as one of the top running backs in the class.

Jacoby Ford, WR, Clemson
The Clemson quarterback issues the past few years have really hurt the Clemson receivers, and Ford has suffered a lot. Ford has elite speed and runs good enough routes to use that speed effectively. He has the deep speed, good enough size, and decent hands and really came on at the Senior Bowl. Ford could slide into the mid 2nd round area.

Andre Roberts, WR, Citadel
One of the more well-known small school receivers since the pre-season, Roberts hasn’t disappointed one bit this season. Usually small school receivers that have top 3 round potential having either undeniable size or have great speed. Roberts doesn’t have either, but can get deep, runs great routes, and one of the most reliable hands in this draft class.

Joe Webb, WR (QB), UAB
The former quarterback never really produced enough at UAB as a passer to get consideration as a quarterback, but has performed well thus far when it comes to developing as a receiver. Webb has shown decent hands, improving route running, and as expected, outstanding athletic ability. He could be the next Brad Smith.

Jimmy Graham, TE, Miami (FL)
The former basketball player, Graham has striking similaries to Antonio Gates as a prospect. While teams are constantly searching for the next former basketball player turned Pro Bowler, Graham has shown great athletic ability and development as a tight end, and may have become a Top 5 tight end in this class.

Andrew Quarless, TE, Penn State
With Penn State losing their top three receivers a season ago, Quarless emerged as a focal point in the offense. While he hasn’t seen the rise in the spotlight like tight ends like Anthony McCoy, Quarless has tremendous potential as a complete tight end, and I wouldn’t be shocked if he goes a few rounds higher than most expect.

Vladimir Duccassee, OG, Massachusetts
Maybe the most well known of this group, Duccassee risen in the limelight as he is the consensus top small school prospect. I’ve never felt Duccasee was a future left tackle, but can been an extremely valuable guard and could go as high as the 2nd round.

Alex Carrington, DE, Arkansas State
Probably has seen his stock rise the most of any prospect at the Senior Bowl, Carrington has risen from Sun Belt mediocrity to fringe 2nd rounder. He has the size, hands, and arm length to get a look, and he has dominated as much as any defensive player during the practices.

O’Brien Schofield, OLB, Wisconsin
After being arguably the best defensive prospect at the East-West Shrine game, Schofield got the invite to the Senior Bowl and was poised to continue his rise up the draft boards. Unfortunately, he suffered a torn ACL at the Senior Bowl. Although he could be a stretch to go in the first 5 rounds, a team could take a shot on him that he could regain his East-West game emergence.

Darryl Washington, LB, TCU
Washington has been a great contributor to the dominate TCU defense, even though last year’s TCU linebacker draft prospects Jason Phillips and Robert Henson made NFL rosters. Washington is a great athlete and has great range in both coverage and run game pursuit.

Myron Rolle, S, Florida State
It’s not very often (actually, I doubt it’s ever happened) that a top level talent leaves early from college, not for the NFL draft but to be Rhodes Scholar. There were questions about how he would re-adapt to the football world, but he seems in perfect shape and seems as though he’s never left. He still has to continue playing well and showcasing his skills, but Rolle has definitely re-emerged as a top notch safety prospect.

Nate Allen, S, South Florida
In what I feel is the best safety class I’ve ever scouted Allen should be right in that mix as top five in his position. The amazing thing is that even though there might be two or three safeties better than Allen, he’s still so talented that he’s still a top 40 prospect in this class. He may have jumped Taylor Mays already, and he could end up being a 1st rounder.

Gaede

Reaction score
On this list, I really like Andre Roberts and Nate Allen.

I'd love a draft that came away with one (if not both) of them

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3266228 said:
Mike Kafka, QB, Northwestern
Kafka is another in a long line of Northwestern quarterbacks who will get a look at the NFL. Kafka is more athletic than CJ Bacher was last season, and is a more polished passer. He’s got a quick release, moves well, and has good accuracy. Kafka wasn’t outstanding in college, but his East-West Shrine practices really have boosted his stock.

Ooooh, I'd stay FAR away from this kid... I mean, what if he woke up one morning and found he'd turned into a giant bug?? Talk about a wasted draft pick...

And now, I'll sit back and smile while thinking about all the readers who won't have the first clue WHAT I'm talking about... :D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
silverbear;3266976 said:
Ooooh, I'd stay FAR away from this kid... I mean, what if he woke up one morning and found he'd turned into a giant bug?? Talk about a wasted draft pick...

And now, I'll sit back and smile while thinking about all the readers who won't have the first clue WHAT I'm talking about... :D
You don't think there can be a Metamorphoses to literary knowledge?

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile;3267084 said:
You don't think there can be a Metamorphoses to literary knowledge?

I wondered if anybody would get the Kafka reference... I guess I'm not surprised you did, but I still smile thinking about all the readers who won't have the first clue what I'm talking about there... :D

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
silverbear;3266976 said:

I saw "FAR" and "bug" and thought Far Side comics.:)

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
silverbear;3267999 said:
I wondered if anybody would get the Kafka reference... I guess I'm not surprised you did, but I still smile thinking about all the readers who won't have the first clue what I'm talking about there... :D

People read Kafka in highschool, so I wouldn't puff my chest out too much. :laugh2:

silverbear

Reaction score
TheCount;3268177 said:
People read Kafka in highschool, so I wouldn't puff my chest out too much. :laugh2:

Chuckle-- I'll wager that not one in ten readers got the "Metamorphosis" reference...

silverbear

Reaction score
ninja;3268151 said:
I saw "FAR" and "bug" and thought Far Side comics.:)

Franz Kafka might have been the inspiration for that comic strip...

My all-time favorite Far Side strip had two deer talking, and one of the deer had a big target on his chest... the caption read "Bummer of a birth mark, Hal"...