Video: Film review of Dak Prescott, Tyron and Williams was impressive. vs Bengals

Blackthorn

Reaction score

Dak Prescott “was a cool as the other side of the pillow” during the game. The O-line looked impressive going against the studs of the Bengals. Tyron Smith and Connor Williams were destroying defenders on each level. I think this offense is clicking on all cylinders and is poised to do great things this season. I love how the backup Looney looked so polished as well. The rookie Williams was in beast mode when he pulled. My brain is having difficulty processing how great he looks. Totally ecstatic about this season. I think this line will be the best that I have seen since Aikman played.

Is it me or is Gallup refined? I listed a breakdown of the game. It was incredible to behold.

Sydla

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree a bit on Williams. Based on this Connor Williams just had his way with defenders and just man handled people and that doesn’t seem to be the case, even according to some of the best writers.

He showed his skill and flashed great play at times but other times he had his issues. On a couple of pulls he was late to get to his guy and on at least one Smith run, his missed block blew up the play for no gain.

I think people see the good plays and somewhat disregard the bad ones. He lacks consistency at this point but I think that will come. But his play this far has been OK, but it was probably unfair to just assume we’d have another rookie interior play in and be an all pro right from the start like Martin and even Frederick.

Overall though, thanks for the analysis.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Williams does look good. As Sydla says, Williams has a few negative plays but, IMO that is to be expected for a rookie OT being moved to guard... particularly when you’re talking about his second preseason game. Add in that he didn’t have Frederick next to him and you’d quickly expect a WHOLE lot of improvement throughout his first season.

Plus, all OL have some negative plays. Even the great ones do... especially in their rookie preseason.

Overall, I’m particularly happy with Connor at LG. He is going to be hell pulling out in front of Elliott.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Thanks for the video @Blackthorn! I had missed the first half of the game and this was a great summary.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Williams is very impressive on the move. He does have a bit of trouble dropping his hips and anchoring against bull rushes but I think that will be something that gets corrected next year by a full offseason in the strength program. At this point I think he is already better than what we had at LG a year ago and think he is only going to get better.

It is everyone after Looney that scares me. Fleming was so-so and Edwards seemed to hang in a little, the rest were very bad.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Williams is very impressive on the move. He does have a bit of trouble dropping his hips and anchoring against bull rushes but I think that will be something that gets corrected next year by a full offseason in the strength program. At this point I think he is already better than what we had at LG a year ago and think he is only going to get better.

It is everyone after Looney that scares me. Fleming was so-so and Edwards seemed to hang in a little, the rest were very bad.

At this point it's probably going to be the starting 5, Looney, Fleming and Edwards.

Love to know what the problem is with Fleming. He played better last season for the Pats.

dfense

Reaction score
I think Dak is a lot better when he gets rid of the ball to his first read. Three step drop, plant and throw. When he doesn't, that is when he gets into trouble.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point it's probably going to be the starting 5, Looney, Fleming and Edwards.

Love to know what the problem is with Fleming. He played better last season for the Pats.

You probably answered your own question - with the Pats - their scheme and Scarnecchia's coaching always make guys better than they ever are elsewhere.

Their recent success story looks to be Trent Brown from the 49'ers.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I thought Dak played fine but 5.7 YPA is not going to get it done on a consistent basis.

conner01

Reaction score

I think Williams did as well as expected. I expect his struggles this year will be with power and a good off season will help that
I never expected a rookie pro bowler but if he can be solid and grow physically he can be a good player down the line

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Dak Prescott “was a cool as the other side of the pillow” during the game. The O-line looked impressive going against the studs of the Bengals. Tyron Smith and Connor Williams were destroying defenders on each level. I think this offense is clicking on all cylinders and is poised to do great things this season. I love how the backup Looney looked so polished as well. The rookie Williams was in beast mode when he pulled. My brain is having difficulty processing how great he looks. Totally ecstatic about this season. I think this line will be the best that I have seen since Aikman played.

Is it me or is Gallup refined? I listed a breakdown of the game. It was incredible to behold.

The video is what I call highlight analysis.

It very similar to how many people love player in the draft based on youtube highlights.

The reality is that C-Will had both good and bad moments in the game.

This is true game analysis:
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/file-review-connor-williams-vs-cincy.412263/

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Watching this video and keying in on #52 OL Williams, you know, I think he played pretty well for his 2nd preseason game. Other than the couple of plays where he got pushed back and the other one play where he whiffed, I thought he was solid.

@Blackthorn Thanks for posting

Here is the deal...6 out of 10 plays...he's adequate.

2 out of 10....he's above average.

The other 2....he's gonna get your QB killed.

Now....do the math.

Over the course of a game....offense plays roughly 60 snaps....you gonna live w/ a rookie for the season that's gonna crap on your offense 20% of the time?

:popcorn:

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
He looks technically excellent. He just needs to improve his strength and ability to anchor.

This. I've noticed how much of a LT skillset he brings to pass pro: fast choppy feet as compared to a lot of cement footed Gs, gets his back flat, lets wild gap shooters run themselves outside of the pocket, passes off stunts, etc. It's rare to see a rookie guard with that refined of technique, and I think it bodes really well for his future.