Film session: Xavier Su'a-filo

coogrfan

Reaction score
I think he did an outstanding job, all things considered. He’s the perfect fit when you’re going up against big and powerful DTs. On the other hand, I worry about the times Dallas with face more athletic defensive tackles. Xavier’s game is built around power and strength, and not so much athleticism. Hopefully I’m worried about nothing.

Bingo.

revospeed

Reaction score
He’s the in the Ron Leary mood we need at LG. We don’t need a finesse guard like Williams is.

InTheZone

Reaction score
The play at the 2:07 mark was maddening. Prescott shuffling in the pocket, twice, then throws it late. If he does not start seeing things and anticipating better, he is going to be late with every throw and we could have the best WR group ever and he would still struggle.
If? I think we're going to be saying that for as long as he's here.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there. But when Xavier's assignment is to block to his right or pull to his right, he stance seems to have a pretty serious tell. He drops his right shoulder slightly and his elbow rest just on the inside of his leg. It looks like he's preparing as he takes his stance for his first step to the right.

Is he actually doing that or am I seeing things because I recognize he has poor feet?

Wouldn't surprise me given he's a backup much more concerned with not messing up and executing his assignments. What you're referring to is what the film room is for. They'll clean it up.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
He did well considering he was up against a top defender and being his first game with a new OL. Williams may be the answer for the long run, but we needed a better solution in the short term and maybe Sua Filo can provide that.

ESisback

Reaction score

In run blocking, absolutely. In pass protection he's a disaster.

Maybe that will FORCE us to run more, and when we do pass—play action, roll outs, quick slants, etc. Trying to make Dak a pocket passer that can go through his reads really quickly will prove to be too difficult, IMHO.

davidariust24

Reaction score
Sua filo played well. He has strength and size, something William's add as time progresses. William's is going to be a stud. I can see it. He looks like Tyrion Smith did his rookie season. Tyrone got bigger and better and by his third season he looked like a stud. William's may take as long or maybe sooner. Sua filo looked nice. He has the strength we are looking for right now. We are lucky to have him for the run game. Atlanta has more quickness in their defensive line and I wonder if that will give him problems.

coult44

Reaction score
The first play, the bad pass from Dak where he waited too long to throw it to Gallup............... Filo essentially hog tossed Fletcher Cox aside. Impressive.

There's no question Williams is lighter on his feet, possesses better footwork and is more athletic. But I wonder, for what we are trying to do now switching back to Columbo as OL coach, Filo doesn't work better (even with his flaws) than Williams.

I am in the small camp that long term, I think the better OL is with Williams at RT and Collins at LG anyway.

In the off season when we signed Fleming, I thought Lael would play LG and Cameron would play RT. Lots of people made signing him a huge deal. What has happened to him and that whole subject.!

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
This video represents A LOT more then the great job #76 did.

Dak needs to take advantage.

Relax and take advantage of your protection.

For the most part......it's pretty good.