Video: Film Study: Analyzing the Cowboys Oline vs the Rams

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This Oline keeps improving week by week, and the video creator does a good job analyzing and explaining how the Cowboys Oline performed vs the Rams.

Enjoy...

Sure, some mistakes were made by a few of our Olinemen. No Oline is going to be perfect, but overall, the Cowboys Oline performed very well against the defending Super Bowl Champions Aaron Donald and the Rams front 7 Dline. Clearly, by the end of the 3rd quarter, the Cowboys Oline wore down the Rams Dline, and the Rams Dline wanted no more of the Cowboys Oline throughout the 4th quarter to end the game.

PS: Don't pay attention to the ridiculous PFF ratings on our Oline. Those clowns don't know what they are watching.

reddyuta

Reaction score
the rams D did more than enough to win the game,their oline is too bad right now to sustain drives.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This Oline keeps improving week by week, and the video creator does a good job analyzing and explaining how the Cowboys Oline performed vs the Rams.

Enjoy...

Sure, some mistakes were made by a few of our Olinemen. No Oline is going to be perfect, but overall, the Cowboys Oline performed very well against the defending Super Bowl Champions Aaron Donald and the Rams front 7 Dline. Clearly, by the end of the 3rd quarter, the Cowboys Oline wore down the Rams Dline, and the Rams Dline wanted no more of the Cowboys Oline throughout the 4th quarter to end the game.

PS: Don't pay attention to the ridiculous PFF ratings on our Oline. Those clowns don't know what they are watching.

Cant blame the Oline because some over the hill, plodding RB can only average 3.5 ypc. There was one particular run that defines Zeke and a 3rd and 1. He got a handoff and went left. There was NOONE if he just cut it outside. Could have picked up another 20 yards. Pollard probably scores on the play. Instead Zeke dives inside into two guys.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
LG had a game very upbeat about this O-line and how funny that it was going to be our undoing...just goes to show how much the winds change from season to season in the NFL...one of our strengths is the oline and its depth,,lol

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
That hold that was called on Tyler was nowhere close to the hook / stranglehold that their RT was using on Parson the entire game.
Tyler could have easily deployed this hooking technic on Donald on that play to prevent the sack if he knew the refs were wearing their Stevie Wonder glasses for the day.
:banghead:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Cant blame the Oline because some over the hill, plodding RB can only average 3.5 ypc. There was one particular run that defines Zeke and a 3rd and 1. He got a handoff and went left. There was NOONE if he just cut it outside. Could have picked up another 20 yards. Pollard probably scores on the play. Instead Zeke dives inside into two guys.
I hear you, bro, but Zeke ran well inside overall. He picks up those tough yards when they are needed most of the time. Zeke & Pollard make a great combination.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I hear you, bro, but Zeke ran well inside overall. He picks up those tough yards when they are needed most of the time. Zeke & Pollard make a great combination.

Not understanding this tough yards thing. Just because its only a few yards doenst make it tough. Do you think 40 other backs in the NFL couldnt come in and average 3.5 ypc behind our line? Is Zeke doing something special? Dowdle could get 3.5 ypc.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Enjoy...

I was able to rewatch the first half just now.

They are playing very well as a unit. They were doing the same this time last year though and they decided to make changes that didn’t work out.

Hopefully they stick with what works, although keeping both Peters and Tyron on the sidelines may be tough.

One thing about the first Tyler/Donald sack…Tyler got beat bad even when holding, but still had the presence of mind to recover the fumble. Big play in the game.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Not understanding this tough yards thing. Just because its only a few yards doenst make it tough. Do you think 40 other backs in the NFL couldnt come in and average 3.5 ypc behind our line? Is Zeke doing something special? Dowdle could get 3.5 ypc.
Ok, so why isn't Dowdle playing and starting for another team if he is so good and capable of averaging at least 3.5 ypc?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
3.5 ypc isnt good.
I know you don't like Zeke, but averaging 3.5 ypc while mostly running inside between the Tackles is actually very good. That means your Offense should be in a good situation to move the sticks when running the ball inside.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I know you don't like Zeke, but averaging 3.5 ypc while mostly running inside between the Tackles us actually very good. That means your Offense should be in a good situation to move the sticks when running the ball inside.

IF zeke was playing well I would love him.

Lets stop with the inside runs thing. Zeke is averaging 3.8 ypc on all his runs. He is #41 in the NFL in ypc. Take out the QB and WR's on the list and he is still in the 30's.

There is NOTHING special that Zeke is doing that 30 other backs in the NFL couldnt be going given 15 carries per game behind our current Oline. Nothing at all to brag about or applaud. He is barely getting the job done. Not to mention he only has 1 TD in 5 games. Pollard on the other hand behind the same Oline against the same competition is 7th in ypc for RB's.

Does his value increase because of his leadership and pass blocking abilities? Yes, slightly. He is woeful in the passing game. Woeful.

I dont understand how anyone can be saying he is doing a good job. Last year at this time Zeke was averaging 5.5 ypc and had like 5 TD's. The Cowboys running game was killing it. He was playing great. Zeke isnt injured and he is playing at his post injury ypc rate. Maybe things will get better for him when Dak gets back and they go into a two deep zone again.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Lets stop with the inside runs thing. Zeke is averaging 3.8 ypc on all his runs. He is #41 in the NFL in ypc. Take out the QB and WR's on the list and he is still in the 30's.

There is NOTHING special that Zeke is doing that 30 other backs in the NFL couldnt be going given 15 carries per game behind our current Oline. Nothing at all to brag about or applaud. He is barely getting the job done. Not to mention he only has 1 TD in 5 games. Pollard on the other hand behind the same Oline against the same competition is 7th in ypc for RB's.

Does his value increase because of his leadership and pass blocking abilities? Yes, slightly. He is woeful in the passing game. Woeful.

I dont understand how anyone can be saying he is doing a good job. Last year at this time Zeke was averaging 5.5 ypc and had like 5 TD's. The Cowboys running game was killing it. He was playing great. Zeke isnt injured and he is playing at his post injury ypc rate. Maybe things will get better for him when Dak gets back and they go into a two deep zone again.
You're right, but remember, opponents so far know Dak has been out, so they have concentrated on stopping our run. Opponents have not been worried about stopping our pass since they know our backup QB has been forced to start, along with a depleted WR corps. Add our rebuilt Oline, we'll, that explains Zeke's lower ypc average.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I know you don't like Zeke, but averaging 3.5 ypc while mostly running inside between the Tackles is actually very good. That means your Offense should be in a good situation to move the sticks when running the ball inside.

on positive note, he did run hard most of the game. Needed both guys. I would like to see Pollard get more carries. Its so frustrating.

that last drive when they knew we were running it, Zeke had 3 carries for like 1 yard so that probably dipped his average below 4 for the day.

Just want to see more from the guy. Im not even giving him #@$% about the money anymore. Just want bigger plays. Make a difference.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You're right, but remember, opponents so far know Dak has been out, so they have concentrated on stopping our run. Opponents have not been worried about stopping our pass since they know our backup QB has been forced to start, along with a depleted WR corps. Add our rebuilt Oline, we'll, that explains Zeke's lower ypc average.

I can get on board with that one. Legitimate point. Lets just hope that when they start playing a 2 deep zone when dak gets back, Zeke and Pollard can make them pay for it.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
on positive note, he did run hard most of the game. Needed both guys. I would like to see Pollard get more carries. Its so frustrating.

that last drive when they knew we were running it, Zeke had 3 carries for like 1 yard so that probably dipped his average below 4 for the day.

Just want to see more from the guy. Im not even giving him #@$% about the money anymore. Just want bigger plays. Make a difference.
I hear you brother. Yes, I'm all for both Dak and Zeke taking a paycut at the end of the season so we can afford to keep Pollard and several other players due for new contracts.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score

I saw that play and thought the same thing. Now, I won’t disrespect him by saying he can “only” average 3.5 ypc. His play was a key to sustaining drives and keeping the defense fresh which is his current role.

Compared to 2016, he’s not the same player. That’s understandable. He’s had a couple thousand carries since then and slammed himself into free rushers another couple times. He’s also not the same age.

I’m sure everyone would love for his 20+ carries to translate to 150+ yards so we can win In fantasy but the dude is not a robot. The current Zeke is quick but not as fast as he once was, elusive but not a game breaker. Those are good attributes to have if you also have decent hands AND are cerebral enough to handle protections on plays where you can’t just run the ball. The totality of the guy is why you have to play him the majority of the snaps. This is not bad. Zeke is still a great player.

Cool thing about this team is, Tony Pollard is that game breaker. He is very fast and elusive. He can also catch and willing to break tackles and fight for extra yardage. He is an excellent complement to Zeke in this offense.

So why doesn’t he get all the carries?

He has a slighter build and isn’t as physically imposing and that isn’t ideal for short yardage. He has also proven that he is not capable of being an asset in pass protection. I don’t know how much more you need to see but the most recent example almost got his QB decapitated in the last game. When he’s in the game, especially with Rush as the QB, you almost tell the defense that he’s running the ball. That is not a bonus.

I say all of that to say, I’m not with the Zeke slander. He’s not what he once was (which is why he got paid or whatever) but he’s definitely not a liability. Dude is a weapon and if healthy it’ll show when the games matter most.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

The real issue is that Zeke is probably the only RB rostered that can read, understand and pick up necessary and vital blocking assignments.
Pollard is clearly the better runner, but has proven to be Mr whif in the backfield on passing downs, and will get your QB killed.
Moore has been doing a better job getting Pollard more involved, I believe that is evident.
Pollards role will grow as this OL improves, and Zekes pass protection role is reduced.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Good stuff.

Pollard’s TD was beautiful. Everyone from LT to WR got their blocks right.

I like some of the stuff he’s pointing out with Cooper replacing Dak. He’s probably right about that Donald sack. I believe Dak would have moved up in the pocket too.

Excited about our Oline. They’re all young except the Hall of Famer. They’re going to keep improving, and I think with so much youth we’ll see more games like that where they just wear out a defense. Peters being hurt is great. He can still mentor Tyler, and it stops the dumb rotation stuff with Connor McGovern. Let those 4 young bucks build some chemistry.