Final 2008 Mock, Version 8.0

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
You sick of my mocks yet? As always I provide the links to previous Mocks.

Version 1
Version 2
Version 3
Version 4
Version 5
Version 6
Version 7

I had a lot of fun with the Mocks this year. It's just more fun with two 1st round picks. This Mock I am approaching it a bit differently again. I am going to assume we won't have trade partners on Draft day. What would I do to plug the holes and move forward?

I still believe #28 is headed to Detroit, but I openly admit the Lions are stupid. At this point if I were Jerry, I'd forget the Pacman deal and put the pressure squarely on Bud Adams.

Here we go, your comments, good and bad are always welcome.

22. Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona, 6'0", 190. I have tried Mocks leaving him out of the picture. I stand by my belief that this kid is exactly what the Doctor ordered for this team. Point blank he fits better than any other option. He can take over for Henry as the #2 guy. He can return punts. If we lose Newman to Free Agency after 2008 he can potentially be the #1 guy. What else is there? He is the 4th or 5th CB on most boards, but I still say he is the best in this Draft class. Give me a smart player every time. This kid is every bit of smart.

28. Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami, 6'2", 212. You can flip flop these first 2 picks if it helps you sleep better. The bottom line is, we need secondary help more than any other need at this point in the Draft. Yes, that includes RB and WR because IMO the value is not there at this point in the Draft for either position. I don't want to reach. IMO neither of these picks are reaches and they fill a need.

61. Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina, 5'11", 195. This settles two problems. What to do at backup RB and what to do at KR. I'd be happy with Rice, Jones, Charles or other options in the 2nd round, but I do not want to reach into round 1. I just don't want to do it.

92. Markus Monk, WR, Arkansas, 6'6", 218. Jerry can roll the dice three ways. One, he gets a WR who if he comes back to 100% is potentially a 1st round value. Two, he can continue to hope Terry Glenn makes it back. Three, it's another young WR to develop.

126. Jeremy Zuttah, OL, Rutgers, 6'3", 303. Projects to be the guy who replaces Kosier one day and makes sure the OL stays solid depth everywhere. I love getting OL in the middle of the Draft, especially ones who have a nasty streak.

163. Owen Schmitt, FB, West Virginia, 6'2", 247. I can't be convinced this guy isn't potentially the best blocking FB in the NFL by the end of the year and him opening holes for Barber just flat out is what I call exciting.

167. Darnell Terrell, CB, Missouri, 6'2", 200. We need depth at CB and potential steals in the late rounds in particular. This kid has good size and great hands. In fact he is 5th all time on Missouri's receiving lists with 138 career catches, but he projects to CB in the NFL. He's worth the risk to be the 5th or 6th guy until he learns the ropes. That's the bonus, he is smart enough to learn them well.

235. Rodney Kinlaw, RB, Penn State, 5'9", 197.
We need a 3rd RB and whether that is Alonzo Coleman or someone else, this kid is my sleeper to be a Cowboy in 2008. If we don't draft him here, he will be one of our first UDFA signings. My guess is they go ahead and take him here rather than risk not getting him.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Perfect. Sign me up for one of these.

I just don't know that Chris lasts till the end of the 2nd.

That top 5 is absolutely perfect, hell I'll throw in the top 6. We can argue about the last two later. ;)

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
Hos, I'd take this draft in a heartbeat. I'm all-in on Cason; I think the top three CBs will be gone by 22 (no Talib for me) and I don't think the drop off is worth risking him, unless Stewart is still on the board. If Stewart is still there at 22, that's my pick and I do what I need to to grab Cason. If it shakes out the way you have it, I'm thrilled with our day one haul. I'm a little nervous going into day two without a WR, but all the top prospects have real flaws and the position is the biggest crapshoot to begin with. I like Avery, Bennett and Jackson a little better than Monk, but they're all very different WRs from Monk. If I'm nitpicking, I'm wishing there was a DT in the mix. Don't know Terrell and Kalvin McRae is my preferred late round RB, but if the top half of your draft played out, I'd be too drunk and happy to care about the rest. Well done.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Best one yet Hos

Unlike many I'm not sold on addressing the WR position in what I consider a weak class of WR's when nex years class is shaping up so well and there will be a few gems on the FA marke as well. I think Monk is a perfect fit.

I love it.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I was eagerly anticipating your final mock. How many hits did you have last year?

I would be thrilled to land Cason and Phillips in the first round. Both are talented (people will nitpick about their exact slotting), fill needs, and are the sort of high-character players that you want on your team. The rest of the draft looks great, as well, although I still think TE is more likely than FB.

Hm, I had Phillips and Felix Jones with Godfrey in the second. Maybe I need to revise my final mock one last time. Darn it, Hos. :cool:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
hate the idea of Phillips as one of our 1st round selections, but the rest I really dig

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hostile;2045241 said:
You sick of my mocks yet? As always I provide the links to previous Mocks.

Version 1
Version 2
Version 3
Version 4
Version 5
Version 6
Version 7

I had a lot of fun with the Mocks this year. It's just more fun with two 1st round picks. This Mock I am approaching it a bit differently again. I am going to assume we won't have trade partners on Draft day. What would I do to plug the holes and move forward?

I still believe #28 is headed to Detroit, but I openly admit the Lions are stupid. At this point if I were Jerry, I'd forget the Pacman deal and put the pressure squarely on Bud Adams.

Here we go, your comments, good and bad are always welcome.

22. Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona, 6'0", 190. I have tried Mocks leaving him out of the picture. I stand by my belief that this kid is exactly what the Doctor ordered for this team. Point blank he fits better than any other option. He can take over for Henry as the #2 guy. He can return punts. If we lose Newman to Free Agency after 2008 he can potentially be the #1 guy. What else is there? He is the 4th or 5th CB on most boards, but I still say he is the best in this Draft class. Give me a smart player every time. This kid is every bit of smart.

28. Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami, 6'2", 212. You can flip flop these first 2 picks if it helps you sleep better. The bottom line is, we need secondary help more than any other need at this point in the Draft. Yes, that includes RB and WR because IMO the value is not there at this point in the Draft for either position. I don't want to reach. IMO neither of these picks are reaches and they fill a need.

61. Ray Rice - RB - Rutgers

92. Markus Monk, WR, Arkansas, 6'6", 218. Jerry can roll the dice three ways. One, he gets a WR who if he comes back to 100% is potentially a 1st round value. Two, he can continue to hope Terry Glenn makes it back. Three, it's another young WR to develop.

126. Jeremy Zuttah, OL, Rutgers, 6'3", 303. Projects to be the guy who replaces Kosier one day and makes sure the OL stays solid depth everywhere. I love getting OL in the middle of the Draft, especially ones who have a nasty streak.

163. Owen Schmitt, FB, West Virginia, 6'2", 247. I can't be convinced this guy isn't potentially the best blocking FB in the NFL by the end of the year and him opening holes for Barber just flat out is what I call exciting.

167. Darnell Terrell, CB, Missouri, 6'2", 200. We need depth at CB and potential steals in the late rounds in particular. This kid has good size and great hands. In fact he is 5th all time on Missouri's receiving lists with 138 career catches, but he projects to CB in the NFL. He's worth the risk to be the 5th or 6th guy until he learns the ropes. That's the bonus, he is smart enough to learn them well.

235. Rodney Kinlaw, RB, Penn State, 5'9", 197.
We need a 3rd RB and whether that is Alonzo Coleman or someone else, this kid is my sleeper to be a Cowboy in 2008. If we don't draft him here, he will be one of our first UDFA signings. My guess is they go ahead and take him here rather than risk not getting him.

THere, I fixed it for ya.

Bigdog

Reaction score
love the draft especially Cason. I think we can trade down and still get him. I agree with you on him being a smart player. I take a smart player that doesn't make mistakes any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Good job.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Sasquatch;2045267 said:
I was eagerly anticipating your final mock. How many hits did you have last year?

I would be thrilled to land Cason and Phillips in the first round. Both are talented (people will nitpick about their exact slotting), fill needs, and are the sort of high-character players that you want on your team. The rest of the draft looks great, as well, although I still think TE is more likely than FB.

Hm, I had Phillips and Felix Jones with Godfrey in the second. Maybe I need to revise my final mock one last time. Darn it, Hos. :cool:
I had 4 hits last year. Folk, Courtney Brown, Spencer and the trade out of the 2nd round if Steve Smith was off the board. In truth I probably need Hillis over Schmitt for mine to hit that many because I do think the Cowboys are higher on Hillis than Schmitt. I like Schmitt, so I can't let it go.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rack;2045274 said:
THere, I fixed it for ya.
I would take Rice so fast your head would swim. He is probably my favorite RB in this draft class not named McFadden.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Sitting Bull;2045254 said:
Hos, I'd take this draft in a heartbeat. I'm all-in on Cason; I think the top three CBs will be gone by 22 (no Talib for me) and I don't think the drop off is worth risking him, unless Stewart is still on the board. If Stewart is still there at 22, that's my pick and I do what I need to to grab Cason. If it shakes out the way you have it, I'm thrilled with our day one haul. I'm a little nervous going into day two without a WR, but all the top prospects have real flaws and the position is the biggest crapshoot to begin with. I like Avery, Bennett and Jackson a little better than Monk, but they're all very different WRs from Monk. If I'm nitpicking, I'm wishing there was a DT in the mix. Don't know Terrell and Kalvin McRae is my preferred late round RB, but if the top half of your draft played out, I'd be too drunk and happy to care about the rest. Well done.
I haven't done a DT in any of my Mocks. I just don't see us going there when we have Tank and Ratliff. I wouldn't blink though if we did take one and moved Ratliff back to DE. Churn the roster and bye bye Bowen if need be.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
errr i was going to make a mock like this with the Phillips and Cason in round one then CJ in round then i would prob went Beau Bell Monk and Hillis. I like this mock i think if our draft turned out like this get ready for perfectsville =)

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I would absolutely LOVE for the Draft to go down this way... I would

:mchammer:

Smith22

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2045273 said:
hate the idea of Phillips as one of our 1st round selections, but the rest I really dig
Put me in this camp.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Yeah that's one thing I would adjust about this draft, I'd like to add another pass rusher. I think we should add at least one a year, even if it's later in the draft.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I like this draft for the most part. I think its a little early for Cason, but I'm fine with him on this team. Love the Johnson, Monk, and Kinlaw picks in particular.
I'm not going to pretend to know whether Kenny Phillips can play, but my buddy is a die hard Canes fan and he said Phillips can't cover and gets beat repeatedly. Based on that, I'm not wild about him because this team needs a ballhawk at safety.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score

I think he's a mid 2nd round prospect, Kiper thinks he could be availabe with our late 2nd, so taking him in round 1 with our #22 pick to me is just a crazy reach!

Don't think there's a good enough reason to pick a safety here at this spot!

61. Chris Johnson, RB, East Carolina, 5'11", 195. This settles two problems. What to do at backup RB and what to do at KR. I'd be happy with Rice, Jones, Charles or other options in the 2nd round, but I do not want to reach into round 1. I just don't want to do it.

Has no chance of being on the board!

TOO EARLY for this pick IMO!

He's a 2nd round prospect, will be LONG GONE by this pick!

163. Owen Schmitt, FB, West Virginia, 6'2", 247. I can't be convinced this guy isn't potentially the best blocking FB in the NFL by the end of the year and him opening holes for B1arber just flat out is what I call exciting.

Don't think we need a F.B., but don't mind the pick!

Don't know enough about the other picks!
Basically I give this draft a D- Because you reached in round 1, and most of the other ournds theplayers really don't have a realistic possibility of still being on the board!

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No to Phillips, a BIG no, but the rest looks sweet.