Final Mock Draft V 4.0

morasp

Reaction score
With less than two weeks to the draft this is my final mock draft that I'll post. My goal was to find three players with the potential to be year one starters or contributors and to try and replace Byron Jones, Robert Quinn, and Randall Cobb. The draft was done on fanspeak using the recently updated on the clock big board. For my big board I used NFL.com based on player grades. I also wanted to get as many players as possible that could eventually become starters which is a 6.1 (good backup with a chance to become a starter) grade on NFL.

17:R1P17 Edge K'Lavon Chaisson LSU Grade 6.88 Rank 6 There has been a lot of discussion on Chaisson but I think he could be an early contributor at least on passing downs.
Overview
Possessing an impressive diversity of moldable pass-rushing ingredients and moves, Chaisson has begun putting the recipe together to become a game-altering pass rusher. While some long-limbed rushers lack the bend and leverage to maximize their length, his fluidity and agility allow him to dip, corner, change direction and close in tight quarters or with extended range. He's not a physical run defender and might be a liability early in his career against power. Chaisson's stock has gained momentum with his surging performance matching the elite athletic qualities. It adds up to an increasingly confident projection as an impact pass-rusher with Pro-Bowl potential.
Strengths

• Wears the 18 jersey, given to high-character leader
  • Good lower-body thickness for a longer frame
  • Smart player on and off the field
  • Very quick laterally and up the field off snap
  • Tremendously agile and flexible
  • Has two-hand swipe and rapid inside-spin counter
  • Hides play-side shoulder, dips and elongates around the corner for wins
  • Inside counters are low, smooth and dangerous
  • Converts speed to power with long-arm bull-rush
  • Consistently hits quarterback on T/E twists
  • Range to disrupt the mesh-point against zone-read
  • Easy change-of-direction talent to chase in all directions

51:R2P19 CB Jaylon Johnson Utah Grade 6.43 Rank 25 I'd be surprised if Johnson fell to 51. NFL has him ranked the third best CB and I think Mel Kiper has him third or fourth.
Overview
Boundary bully with an improving skill set to clamp down on WR1s and limit their exposure to the football. Johnson is built for press, with the size, length and athleticism to force receivers to work harder getting into their routes. His eagerness to stay tight to the route leads to inconsistent balance and positioning from time to time, but his foot quickness and agility allow for rapid recoveries. He's equipped to play the deep ball but needs to fully prove himself in that area. He's a physical press corner with off-man ability whose anticipation and ball skills should continue to help him make plays as a CB1 and first-round pick.

82:R3P18 WR Van Jefferson Florida
Grade 6.27 Rank 76 Jefferson is a good route runner and would compete for the slot WR3 position.
Overview
Versatile, skilled receiver who has played all three receiver spots but is likely to do most of his damage from the slot. Jefferson has average size and won't run away from quality man coverage, but he will separate from it with premium route-running and unique looks and angles that keep cornerbacks on their heels. He needs to prove he can deal with NFL size and strength banging on him at the catch point. Jefferson is a pro-ready receiver whose skill level and competitive nature outweigh average explosiveness and he should find quick work as a WR3/WR4.

123: R4P17 DL James Lynch
Grade 6.14 rank 115 Lynch had very good production last year with 19.5 TFL, 13.5 sacks, five PBU, three FF, and two blocked kicks and could play on the inside or outside.
Overview
Active, powerful defensive lineman with some moldable upside still to be had. Teams who view him as an even front three-technique may not view his gaudy, high-impact production as translatable to the pros, but his snap quickness and power to displace at the point of attack are important traits for interior success. Lynch played in a team-oriented upfield scheme and flashed potential to handle read-and-react duties if asked to slide out to five-technique. He should come into the league as a scheme-independent, rotational defender with the tools to challenge as an eventual starter.

164: R5P18 S Julian Blackmon
Utah Grade 6.24 Rank 87 NFL has Blackmon rated as the fifth best safety after the big five so when he was there in the fifth I grabbed him. He still needs some development but he has the talent to play big nickel, down safety or split safety.
Strengths
  • Has grown into man-sized frame
  • Good combination of size and speed
  • Plays with rugged demeanor when it's time
  • Disciplined reading man cover keys against play-action
  • Starting cornerback experience with ability to check tight ends
  • Adequate pattern recognition underneath
  • Has nine interceptions in three years
  • Factors favorably when supporting versus quick game
  • Plays through blockers in space
  • Quick to close distance and aggressive hitter in run support
  • Wipe-out talent when running the alleys
179: R5P33 CB Javaris Davis Auburn Grade 6.11 rank 122 Like Amik Robertson Davis is a shorter CB so he would probably play slot but he's a good player and a speed merchant with a 40 time of 4.39.
Overview
The similarities to former Auburn and current Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones are striking. Both played inside/outside and had great speed, ball skills and a quality football IQ. Like Jones before him, Davis is a little deficient in size and play strength, which shows up on occasion, but he's a tough competitor who doesn't give in easily at the catch point. He's light on his feet and can bounce and weave in any direction the route takes him. Davis is a slot corner with quality man-cover skills and top-end speed with CB3 upside.

231 R7P17 LB Justin Strnad Wake Forest
Grade 6.1 rank 130
Overview
He's built like a tall, puffed-up safety, but he also runs like one with the range to find play after play when he's kept clean. Strnad could have issues against downhill running attacks due to a lack of size and hand usage. He's an explosive athlete and aggressive striker, but big backs could wear him down on the pro level. He has the twitch and burst to roam from sideline to sideline and should play faster and more efficiently as his recognition improves. He's an ascending playmaker whose athleticism, third-down talent and special-teams ability could make him a middle-round selection as a 4-3 WILL or 3-4 ILB if his medicals check out.

Carson

Reaction score
Solid mock. Not as high on Chaisson as some. But overall fills needs and tons of talent.

JBS

Reaction score
Johnson is a guy I'm uneasy on...I wouldn't hate the pick but not my top choice

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Really, like the class. I've come full circle with Chaisson. He really played well down the stretch in the most meaningful games. I actually had the same three top picks in my last projection.

morasp

Reaction score
Really, like the class. I've come full circle with Chaisson. He really played well down the stretch in the most meaningful games. I actually had the same three top picks in my last projection.
If those were our first three picks I would be thrilled.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'll get on board with that.
I'm not Chaisson biggest fan but I see the potential and if means we dont take Murray I'm all over it.
Love the Johnson, Jefferson and Lynch picks.

Creeper

Reaction score
This is a draft that is probably most realistic. I am hoping we can do better than Chaisson in the 1st round. I have gone full circle with him. Wasn't thrilled at first, warmed up to him, back to not thrilled. But he may be the best choice at 17 because it's very possible Kinlaw and Henderson are both gone. A trade down might be a better move depending on what value they get in return. Its a shame they couldn't get a deal done with Quinn.

Johnson is a solid pick. I'd rather have AJ Terrell available at 51, but again, he probably won't be.

Love Van Jefferson for the Cowboys but, again, I have a feeling he is gone by the time the Cowboys 3rd round pick comes up. I think the secret is out on Jefferson.

I have Lynch listed at 289 lbs. The Cowboys seem to be going bigger in the middle. He can add some lbs I am sure but he is a project.

I like Blackmon too. Good pick at this point in the draft.

If Javaris Davis wasn't so small, he'd be way up on some draft boards, but he is really small at 5'8". He does have speed. Is he too small to play special teams?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I don't know what is with this board's recent fascination with Van Jefferson....

I'm about to review 2 Florida games (for CJ Henderson), so I'll watch him, but he never really stood out to me.

Also, two Utes (My Cousin Vinny callback) DB's and not my boy Terrell Burgess? It's like you guys hate me?!?

Last edited:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't know what is with this board's recent fascination with Van Jefferson....

I'm about to review 2 Florida games (for CJ Henderson), so I'll watch him, but he never really stood out to me.

Also, two Utes (My Cousin Vinny callback) DB's and not my boy Terrell Burgess? It's like you guys hate me?!?
This is why:

cowboyec

Reaction score
:thumbup:
really hope Chaisson makes it to us at 17.
he's become my favorite.
hope it happens.

big fan of Van Jefferson.
good size.
excellent hands.
good route runner.
tough.

like both those corners...and the S can also play CB if i'm not mistaken.

James Lynch intrigues me.

solid mock.
thanks for the work you put in on this and all of your draft stuff.

Creeper

Reaction score

I like Jefferson for his 3rd round value. He is not #1 on my WR list though.