Financial philosophy shift on OL?

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Team has poured a ton of money into the OL over the years and has zero to show for it. Wonder if they have decided to try and do something different and go cheap?

- no Tyron
- not re-signing Biadasz
- last year of Zack
- maybe last year of Steele if he doesn’t rebound.

Tyler, Bass, Asim and some rookies coming in make for a cheap lineup.

Aven8

Reaction score
This philosophy was adopted by JG. I’ve complained about it for years as the defense always got the shaft. With Mike on board he’s proven that when an Olineman goes down we can continue. Something JG never could do.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It seems Ball and Waletzko are, at best, marginal backups. There is really no one waiting in the wings other than, perhaps, Asim.

But, for once in a long time, need meets a real strength in the draft. I fully expect the Cowboys to draft an OT in the first

fivetwos

Reaction score
Team has poured a ton of money into the OL over the years and has zero to show for it. Wonder if they have decided to try and do something different and go cheap?

- no Tyron
- not re-signing Biadasz
- last year of Zack

That implies that they determine that something hasn’t worked and will change it as part of some master plan to win. No.

They do the draft and then collect what they think are bargain players. Has nothing to do with a position group or overall philosophy.

There’s no plan otherwise. The HC that just wants a paycheck knows it but at least Jerry is comfortable. That’s the important part of things.

No chance. Not even a chance to get lucky.

I’m getting there.

75boyz

Reaction score
Regardless of contracts or draft round pedigree, I'd settle for a more effective run scheme, philosophy and run blocking techniques change taught by the coaches.

Not confident at all these coaches have a clue in coaching an effective run game plan.

Epic fail last year.
And no, prime Tony D., Emmitt or Zeke were getting hit behind the line of scrimmage based on last year's fraud of a run scheme.
So it don't matter who totes the rock until you change the scheme.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

- no Tyron
- not re-signing Biadasz
- last year of Zack

I get frustrated trying to decipher if this front office even has a philosophy they follow in the draft and FA. What kind of players fit the team’s philosophy to build around?

With Dan Quinn as DC, he obviously put a ton of emphasis on speed, and position flex and we drafted defensive players to fit that philosophy. Now? Mike Zimmer is in charge and wants a bigger, more physical front 7. On offense we used to really value top end OL to provide a great running game. Now we run a west coast style passing game. Will that be reflected in this draft?

And…all these coaches may not even be here next year. It’s like we are run by fantasy football guys.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I get frustrated trying to decipher if this front office even has a philosophy they follow in the draft and FA. What kind of players fit the team’s philosophy to build around?

With Dan Quinn as DC, he obviously put a ton of emphasis on speed, and position flex and we drafted defensive players to fit that philosophy. Now? Mike Zimmer is in charge and wants a bigger, more physical front 7. On offense we used to really value top end OL to provide a great running game. Now we run a west coast style passing game. Will that be reflected in this draft?

And…all these coaches may not even be here next year. It’s like we are run by fantasy football guys.
That last sentence is my biggest issue with leaving your head coach on a one year deal. The draft for this team is everything, and I'm not sure how you effectively draft or even create your board without knowing what you're actually trying to build.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That last sentence is my biggest issue with leaving your head coach on a one year deal. The draft for this team is everything, and I'm not sure how you effectively draft or even create your board without knowing what you're actually trying to build.
Well said. And if this team implodes in 2024 or even just underperforms, a whole new “scheme”, HC, coordinators, etc will come in. IMO they would have been better off blowing it up this year.

I‘m hard pressed to remember when hanging a coaching staff out over a cliff with one year deals in place like this results in a great season. Maybe it’s happened before, I just can’t remember when.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score

AKA - its something we have known for YEARS - "fish stinks from the head"

For some reason this latest total collapse has zapped any enthusiasm I have for this dysfunctional team.

It has beyond cemented that Jethro doesn't have a clue and that Dak is not the one.

Just gonna have to wait a few years till this bunch is gone.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

For some reason this latest total collapse has zapped any enthusiasm I have for this dysfunctional team.

Its has beyond cemented that Jethro doesn't have a clue and that Dak is not the one.

You're not alone there my friend. This years disappointing end just hit different. Maybe as we get further from the 2023 season Ill be able to buy into a run it back type of season, but right now it just feels impossible to get excited about this same core returning in 2024.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Its has beyond cemented that Jethro doesn't have a clue and that Dak is not the one.

Totally understand that feeling. I hope I’m dead wrong but this off-season reminds me a lot of the off-season before the 2010 season.

In 2009 the Cowboys (in Wade Phillips’ third season) had been embarrassed by the Vikings in 2009 divisional playoff game 34-3. Jerry decided to stick with Wade Phillips going into 2010 even though many felt there were major problems with that team. The 2010 team was terrible out of the gate. We lost 4 of the first 5 games, then Romo got hurt and the team just quit on Wade, leading to a 1-7 record and Wade’s firing. Then we were handed Garrett. Ooooof.

Again, I hope I’m wrong. There are a lot of similarities with this situation.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Totally understand that feeling. I hope I’m dead wrong but this off-season reminds me a lot of the off-season before the 2010 season.

In 2009 the Cowboys had been embarrassed by the Vikings in 2009 divisional playoff game 34-3. Jerry decided to stick with Wade Phillips going into 2010 even though many felt there were major problems with that team. The 2010 was terrible out of the gate. We lost 4 of the first 5 games, then Romo got hurt and the team just quit on Wade.

That is my feeling as well. I'd love to be wrong but it really feels like we are just waiting for the ship to completely sink at this point. This team hasn't shown much confidence in their coaching staff or quarterback. No money unless they ruin the cap for future years, had problems with both run offense and defense and we are set to lose a ton of talent via free agency this year.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score

In 2009 the Cowboys (in Wade Phillips’ third season) had been embarrassed by the Vikings in 2009 divisional playoff game 34-3. Jerry decided to stick with Wade Phillips going into 2010 even though many felt there were major problems with that team. The 2010 team was terrible out of the gate. We lost 4 of the first 5 games, then Romo got hurt and the team just quit on Wade, leading to a 1-7 record and Wade’s firing. Then we were handed Garrett. Ooooof.

Yeah been saying for the last 2 years that we reliving the Jason years - it's the EXACT same problem...a mentally weak team.

Whether they collapse or make the play-offs again - I dont know if I really care.

Jethro is gonna ride Dak and co as long as they win enough and keep the fans watching and spending their money.

There is no joy in Mudville...

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
That is my feeling as well. I'd love to be wrong but it really feels like we are just waiting for the ship to completely sink at this point. This team hasn't shown much confidence in their coaching staff or quarterback. No money unless they ruin the cap for future years, had problems with both run offense and defense and we are set to lose a ton of talent via free agency this year.
The trenches are in deep doo doo on both sides of the ball...sad.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

We're run by a General Marketer.

Means that football philosophy comes and goes with every coaching change. This is the #1 problem with Jerry as General Manager.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This philosophy was adopted by JG. I’ve complained about it for years as the defense always got the shaft. With Mike on board he’s proven that when an Olineman goes down we can continue. Something JG never could do.
Probably not a good game to use because the opponent may have checked out already, but can’t help but think about that last game against Washington and how good they looked with some of those younger more agile bucks.