Fine Coming For The Cowboys?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
FINE COMING FOR THE COWBOYS?

Posted by Mike Florio on October 15, 2008, 1:32 p.m.
Now that Pacman Jones has been suspended for a minimum of four game due to his latest violation of the Personal Conduct Policy, the question becomes whether the Cowboys will have to pay any of the salary that he would have earned to the charity of the league’s choosing.
Earlier this year, the NFL adopted a new procedure for deterring teams from acquiring and/or keeping players with off-field problems. As of June 1, clubs are subject to fines for violations of the Personal Conduct Policy committed by their players.
“The plan is that the club to be fined will be the club to which the player belonged at the time of the arrest or violation,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com in late May. “But it only applies to arrests or violations occurring after June 1.”
Though not arrested, Pacman Jones violated the Personal Conduct Policy; otherwise, he wouldn’t have been suspended. There’s a potential loophole, however. The NFL could find that Pacman wasn’t suspended for violating the Personal Conduct Policy, but for violating the terms of his reinstatement.
Regardless of whether the league opts to engage in splitting hairs, this is precisely the kind of situation in which a stiff fine might help teams be more careful about giving a player his next second chance.
Then again, if the Cowboys are required to fork over to the Human Fund the wages that Pacman would have earned over the next four weeks, will it really deter the billionaire who owns the team from taking risks in the name of winning games? As we’ve previously argued, the only way to get teams to think twice about acquiring players with a history of problems is to begin stripping away draft picks.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
that won't be good since according to Commander fans Jerry is broke.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2342677 said:
man, we better not....that will upset me!

It would be unbelieveable. We have had the cleanest team in the league for years, yet one imbecile would justify a fine or loss of choices? I can appreciate Goodall wanting to rattle his sabre, but that is unacceptable.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
No arrests occured and no violations of the league conduct policy happened.

A violation of goodells to pacmans conduct contract happened. I would be screaming NFL bias if a fine of draft picks were to happen.

Plumfool

Reaction score
no fine pac was suspended because he violated terms of his probation. And that was a HUGE issue for GOD Elll

zeromaster

Reaction score
If Goodell is going to take one or more draft picks from the Cowboys for A.Jones' drinking and acting up, and take but one draft pick from New England for violating a different but equally important code of conduct, someone should start questioning (a) his ethics, and (b) his ties to certain teams.

jmo

Kangaroo

Reaction score
zeromaster;2342707 said:
If Goodell is going to take one or more draft picks from the Cowboys for A.Jones' drinking and acting up, and take but one draft pick from New England for violating a different but equally important code of conduct, someone should start questioning (a) his ethics, and (b) his ties to certain teams.

jmo

Guys that is Mike Florio talking out his arse if anything Jerry will be fined nothing more

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This would be pure hypocrisy by the NFL. Why reinstate a player, then punish teams for signing the player you reinstated? If you don't want guys like him in the league then DON'T REINSTATE THEM! When Goodell reinstated Pac, he was giving him a second (or 3r or 4th) chance. Yet Jerry Jones could be fined for doing the same thing? Ridiculous and hypocritical.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I see nothing. I'm willing to bet big money Goodell and JJ worked together a great, great deal in trying to help AJ. Then Jerry worked very hard.

I find that a distinctly different situation than another player getting arrested or found in violation of the conduct policy. But Justice is a blind lady so I wouldn't be surprised either way.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry went out of his way to pay a security team to watch over Pacman! It's not Jerry's fault that Pacman did not adhere to the rules. If Jerry gets fined or loses a draft pick that would be totally wrong on many levels.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I don't think they're going to take any picks away cause this wasn't a NFL Personal Conduct violation this was Adam being too stupid to not violate his own probation that was mandated by a judge and thus violated the terms he agreed to when he was reinstated to the league.

links18

Reaction score
I could see him taking the pick we got back from the Titans as well as the one we were supposed to send them. I can't imagine him wanting to see us "benefit" from PAC's suspension. The point is to hold teams accountable for their players, not allow them to have an out when they screw up....

Kangaroo

Reaction score
links18;2342744 said:
I could see him taking the pick we got back from the Titans as well as the one we were supposed to send them. I can't imagine him wanting to see us "benefit" from PAC's suspension. The point is to hold teams accountable for their players, not allow them to have an out when they screw up....

Rodger never said teams would lose picks that was a suggestion by the writer what he thought the Commish should do. Like I said the writer was talking out his arse injecting his opinion as fact. Goddell stated before that starting June 1st Fines would be levied he is not going to start taking away picks he be out of a job. Plus he would have a warning anoucement before it ever even came to pass.

The writer is a dufuss

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
links18;2342744 said:
Then why reinstate him in the first place if you're so worried about him screwing up again? Goodell needs to look in the mirror first.

links18

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2342760 said:
Then why reinstate him in the first place if you're so worried about him screwing up again? Goodell needs to look in the mirror first.

Fair enough, but reinstating him does not mean a team has to hire him. I just can't imagine Goodell being happy about a trade which gives us an out if he gets in trouble and actually gives us an incentive not to take disciplinary action on our own and defer it to the NFL. I mean think about it, if Pac gets hurt or starts to suck real bad, under the terms of the trade, we actually have an incentive for the NFL to suspend him, so we can recoup draft picks. Still, the NFL approved of the trade so.......