Firefox Crashing

munkee

Reaction score
Hello All. I have an ongoing problem with the main page causing freezing and crashing in Firefox. I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.1 on Mac OS 10.4.7. I have also experienced the same issue on my Windows XP machine using Firefox 2.0. Using when I load the forum from the main page, there is a considerable delay before I am able to follow a link. The crashing occurs when I have run Firefox for more than an hour or I have a memory intensive application running in another Firefox tab.

Thanks for any help! :)

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
munkee;1346759 said:
Hello All. I have an ongoing problem with the main page causing freezing and crashing in Firefox. I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.1 on Mac OS 10.4.7. I have also experienced the same issue on my Windows XP machine using Firefox 2.0. Using when I load the forum from the main page, there is a considerable delay before I am able to follow a link. The crashing occurs when I have run Firefox for more than an hour or I have a memory intensive application running in another Firefox tab.

Thanks for any help! :)

I use FF at home and don't have any problems. Are you running the most current version?

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister;1346770 said:
I use FF at home and don't have any problems. Are you running the most current version?

If he is not, he is not far behind.

He said 2.0 in Windows and it is currently at 2.0.0.1

I have not had any crashing problems, however when the board has a great deal of users on at one time it can be slow loading the main page.

Just like it used to be when we had the stats area for people visiting the page the last 24 hours...almost always was slower to load for me.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
munkee.

What you might want to try...is when you first come to the main page.

Look at the bottom where all the names are and the blue bar that says Currently Active Users.

If you go to the far right of that bar there will be a double little arrow (pointing up) in a circle button.

Click on that button and it will close up that list with all of the names.

When you reload the main page it may load a little faster.

This depends on how many currently active people are on at a time, if it is just a few than you will not see a difference, if there is a great deal than you probably will.

Now that is not to say that will fix your problem...you may have other issues as you are the only one I am hearing from that is crashing.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It's been happening to me, too, since I upgraded to 2.0 (or 2.0.0.1) a couple of weeks ago.

And I never go to the main page, but straight to the Fan Zone or Daily Zone.

munkee

Reaction score
As with Choclate Lab, my problems came about with Firefox 2 and later. I had some probably with later version Firefox 1, but have consistently had problems with Firefox 2.

I will keep an eye out for the number of users on the site in relation to the slow downs and crashes. It's interesting that I do not have this issue once I am in one of the daughter forums, such as Daily Zone.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
munkee;1347100 said:
As with Choclate Lab, my problems came about with Firefox 2 and later. I had some probably with later version Firefox 1, but have consistently had problems with Firefox 2.

I will keep an eye out for the number of users on the site in relation to the slow downs and crashes. It's interesting that I do not have this issue once I am in one of the daughter forums, such as Daily Zone.

The only issue I have with FF is that it doesn't always keep my login info for webpages. It's a minor pain in the butt.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I got this from another board

I did this shortly after upgrading the Firefox.

I did not notice a big difference but some of the setting changes in this tutorial I had made earlier so maybe that is why. Maybe it will help some.

=========================================================

Hey all, I have been surfing around the net and my internet is getting a little slow sometimes. So I searched for ways to make Mozilla Firefox faster and found one way that is AMAZING. It makes your browser go MUCH faster and I would like to share it with you guys.

1. type "about:config" into your browser's address bar without the quotation marks.

2. Find these three entries:

network.http.pipelining
network.http.proxy.pipelining
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

3. Now, set both network.http.pipelining and network.http.proxy.pipelining to TRUE by right clicking. Then, right click network.http.pipelining.maxrequests and click modify and set it to 30.

4. Right click anywhere and select New -> Integer
Make the name nglayout.initialpaint.delay and set the number to 0.

There ya go, your browser should be hella fast.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I had that problem for a while, I just kept clicking report error and after a week or so it stopped, that's when I first down loaded the newest version...

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Munkee dont like Safari? me either lol

here are some of the knowen issues so this might help you:
Mac OS X

* The "Close Other Tabs" action on the shortcut menu of a tab can fail with an error when more than 20 tabs are open.
* Some users have reported problems viewing Macromedia Flash content on Intel Mac computers. To work around this problem, users can remove or move the PowerPC version of "Flash Player Enabler.plugin from /Library/Internet Plug-Ins.
* After installing a new plug-in, Firefox may continue to display information for the older version of the plug-in in about:plugins. If this happens, quit Firefox, delete the "pluginreg.dat" file from your profile folder, and relaunch Firefox.
* Java does not run on Intel Core processors under Rosetta.
* There is no Talkback on Intel-based Macs when running natively or under Rosetta. The Apple Crash report program should launch in the event of application crashes.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
I am getting random crashes on several boards and web pages usually when I hit my enter key

so something funky is going on

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
wow, it's IE and people bash IE.
it's firefox and people wanna figure out the 'real' cause.

fyi - for either it's how clean you keep your system. *ANY* form of shareware can cause problems (you can write solid core code but that doesn't mean the crap you put on top if it will be clean, yet the OS usually gets the blame).

shareware, malware, different toolbars, different object viewer, ad ons...the list can go on and on.

anyway - not here to pick a fight so i'll hush. just saying that computers need maintenance from time to time and the OS can't control what you choose to put on it, free program, beta programs - and so forth.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg;1493427 said:
wow, it's IE and people bash IE.
it's firefox and people wanna figure out the 'real' cause.

fyi - for either it's how clean you keep your system. *ANY* form of shareware can cause problems (you can write solid core code but that doesn't mean the crap you put on top if it will be clean, yet the OS usually gets the blame).

shareware, malware, different toolbars, different object viewer, ad ons...the list can go on and on.

anyway - not here to pick a fight so i'll hush. just saying that computers need maintenance from time to time and the OS can't control what you choose to put on it, free program, beta programs - and so forth.

I think that is one of the reasons I still with firefox. At home the wife uses the IE and it never fails, no matter how many times I tell her, that she winds up getting tool bars on it.

Sometimes she gets those messenger programs on the puter and I delete them :laugh2:

Now she has a laptop and I have not had a problem with the computer in some time (knock on wood).

In the past I usually did a reformat and install around once a year just to clean things off.

Since doing that I have only had hardware issues the last few years at home.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1493511 said:
I think that is one of the reasons I still with firefox. At home the wife uses the IE and it never fails, no matter how many times I tell her, that she winds up getting tool bars on it.

Sometimes she gets those messenger programs on the puter and I delete them :laugh2:

Now she has a laptop and I have not had a problem with the computer in some time (knock on wood).

In the past I usually did a reformat and install around once a year just to clean things off.

Since doing that I have only had hardware issues the last few years at home.

sometimes that's all you can do. i mean, you install adobe reader and it puts a google toolbar on your system. download some games, they want a toolbar on there. my brother has like 4 different toolbars loading up for travel, games more search engines that he could EVER use - he just didn't know any better.

when you get to that point i'm with ya - wipe it and start over and keep trying to educate.