Video: Firestone Time Commercial

What was your reaction to the commercial?

• Total voters

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Im not a gamer... so its amusing to me.
and i have seen gamers play themselves into a stupor.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Side note: My wife laughed at the commercial, saying the wife/girlfriend was justified in destroying the husband/boyfriend's game console for his laziness. I replied okay, but the purpose of any commercial is to sell. In my opinion, the commercial would upset potential customers who saw little humor in wife/girlfriend retaliating against the husband/boyfriend's highly prized personal possession. Marketers use humor as a selling method lots of times, but I thought Firestone's attempt deadens a good bit of their sales pitch for what may be a good portion of their customer base.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Yea, right, .. when Firestone offers the "buy 3 tires, get one free" many guys won't do it just because of the "gamer" commercial.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I thought it was funny. If anyone did that to me, I'd immediately return the favor.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, right, .. when Firestone offers the "buy 3 tires, get one free" many guys won't do it just because of the "gamer" commercial.
lol. Well, you got me there. However, what happens when a competitor, for example Michelin, offers a comparative offer? Both manufacturers offers cancel the other's. Product appeal shifts elsewhere to quality, warranty, etc. The deciding factor may eventually rest on something less tangible.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
lol. Well, you got me there. However, what happens when a competitor, for example Michelin, offers a comparative offer? Both manufacturers offers cancel the other's. Product appeal shifts elsewhere to quality, warranty, etc. The deciding factor may eventually rest on something less tangible.

Chances are, Michelin is doing it too.

DE, .. watch commercials, and see if you notice that many, .. not all but many, have a woman making a guy look like a dork. Or the wife and kids making the Dad seem like a dork.
The guy always seems to be the foolish one or the dumb one in the commercial, .. or the butt of the joke.

See if you notice that going forward.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought it was funny. If anyone did that to me, I'd immediately return the favor.
Funny you mention that. The commercial's message was a little unsettling to me, so I immediately did an internet search to read what others thought. The whole thing is entirely unscientific, but I found most comments were negative in nature. Some thought the commercial was not funny at all and considered a retaliation scenario would be an appropriate follow-up commercial for Firestone. The positive comments for the commercial that I read thought the wife/girlfriend was completely vindicated in her action and did not deserve retaliation in any way, shape or form. The usual suggestion for retaliation was the husband/boyfriend to burn her shoes or something just as silly. What has fascinated me so far is that my poll has not attracted any positive votes for the commercial.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Funny you mention that. The commercial's message was a little unsettling to me, so I immediately did an internet search to read what others thought. The whole thing is entirely unscientific, but I found most comments were negative in nature. Some thought the commercial was not funny at all and considered a retaliation scenario would be an appropriate follow-up commercial for Firestone. The positive comments for the commercial that I read thought the wife/girlfriend was completely vindicated in her action and did not deserve retaliation in any way, shape or form. The usual suggestion for retaliation was the husband/boyfriend to burn her shoes or something just as silly. What has fascinated me so far is that my poll has not attracted any positive votes for the commercial.

I voted positive because I thought it was funny so you should have seen at least 1 vote. You cannot take this stuff too seriously.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

DE, .. watch commercials, and see if you notice that many, .. not all but many, have a woman making a guy look like a dork. Or the wife and kids making the Dad seem like a dork.
The guy always seems to be the foolish one or the dumb one in the commercial, .. or the butt of the joke.

I majored in marketing, so I often critique commercials more than I should. In my opinion, you are correct in your analysis. I would make this suggestion though. In commercials involving more than one demographic interacting with others, scan for instances where objects of significant value are destroyed to the detriment of a single party only. The key word is destroyed, not hidden or substituted for another object. I think you may find very few commercials of that nature on the boob tube. :)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I voted positive because I thought it was funny so you should have seen at least 1 vote. You cannot take this stuff too seriously.
You would think so, but I always say the world is made up of lots of different personalities. You would be surprised just how serious some viewers reacted to the commercial.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I majored in marketing, so I often critique commercials more than I should. In my opinion, you are correct in your analyis. I would make this suggestion though. In commercials involving more than one demographic interacting with others, scan for instances where objects of significant value are destroyed to the detriment of a single party only. The key word is destroyed, not hidden or substituted for another object. I think you may find very few commercials of that nature on the boob tube. :)

I would not know, I am sure you are right.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score

not only that... watch your children's tv shows on disney or nickelodeon.
the father is always the butt of all jokes...

intersting.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I've noticed big time. I can usually see "the joke" coming a mile away This commerical was no different. It's annoying.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I majored in marketing, so I often critique commercials more than I should. In my opinion, you are correct in your analysis. I would make this suggestion though. In commercials involving more than one demographic interacting with others, scan for instances where objects of significant value are destroyed to the detriment of a single party only. The key word is destroyed, not hidden or substituted for another object. I think you may find very few commercials of that nature on the boob tube. :)

I always thought the Dos Equis the most interesting man in the world commercials were a little odd.

I don't always drink beer but when I do...

So you usually drink other products and on occasion you drink the beer you are being paid to promote? Just odd to me.