First 7-9 or 8-8 team to win the Superbowl

DFWJC

Reaction score
Numbers reversed....the Giants won in 2011 with a 9-7 record.

Anything's possible. The Cowboys would have to win in spite of their poor coaching, so they'd have to play against 11 players, the crowd AND their own coaches. Even an appearance in a Superbowl under such challenging conditions would be truly astonishing, it would be dream-like.

So, don't hold your breath. Expect the 20+ year nightmare to continue...
And they didn't get healthy on defense until late.
Defense carried them

Still, a massive fluke....helmet catch after QB in the grasp and all.

Aven8

Reaction score
If that happens than he can pull a Manning, Elway, and Strahan and go out on top.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
LOL

Now that I've given up on Garrett, and the season for the most part... it will be interesting to see if the Cowboys could pull a SB run out of their Arse... stranger things have happened. We went on a tear last year after being 3-5.

Bottom line: We have the talent. (#1 Offense / #8 defense?!) It would have to be IN SPITE of the coaching & play calling. Players doing it pretty much on their own?!

Even if we lose to the Rams (and/or the Commanders for that matter)... all roads to the playoffs/SB go through Philly. We win that game, then all bets are off... then it is just a matter of stringing 4 wins together. No problem right?! LOL
7-9 would be a first, but I think Oakland did it as 8-8 team with jim plunkett at qb way back when.
I guess you dont realize, that if cowboys get past div round, that could mean JG gets a new contract? SB win and he gets
20 year extension!!

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
7-9 would be a first, but I think Oakland did it as 8-8 team with jim plunkett at qb way back when.
I guess you dont realize, that if cowboys get past div round, that could mean JG gets a new contract? SB win and he gets
20 year extension!!

8-8? Nahhhhh, I don't think so. Not Oakland, or any team, nobody's won a SB at 8-8

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Idk why ppl think it’s not possible get n the dance guess what injuries bad snaps bad throws fumbles do happen can bounce our way I been telling this board we get n the playoffs I’m expecting zeke to go on a tear like he did them 3 games stretch he did n college JUST SAYIN

Even all those happens , what about D,if the opposing teams dont have to punt and our O is on the bench we cant do much , ( not to mention we cant rely on the kicker too)

Michael88Irvin

Reaction score
20 year extension!!

Not so sure... Hey, Jimmy Johnson got canned after winning 2 (back to back) Superbowls... IF we were to win a SB after this mediocre season (and that's a big IF - and would likely happen IN SPITE of JG anyway), I think JJ will be reluctant to continue down this path. He is not blind. He sees what we see. It is painful to watch, and not a good product. Although winning the SB would definitely give him reason to continue, I think if an elite coaching situation presented itself (Urban Meyer, etc), he would have to pull the trigger to satisfy his fan base (and his own sanity).

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Not so sure... Hey, Jimmy Johnson got canned after winning 2 (back to back) Superbowls... IF we were to win a SB after this mediocre season (and that's a big IF - and would likely happen IN SPITE of JG anyway), I think JJ will be reluctant to continue down this path. He is not blind. He sees what we see. It is painful to watch, and not a good product. Although winning the SB would definitely give him reason to continue, I think if an elite coaching situation presented itself (Urban Meyer, etc), he would have to pull the trigger to satisfy his fan base (and his own sanity).
Well with jerry you never know lol he could do either one.
I think most would have already let JG go, but he is keeping him to the end of season.

Michael88Irvin

Reaction score

DandyDon52

Reaction score
8-8? Nahhhhh, I don't think so. Not Oakland, or any team, nobody's won a SB at 8-8
your right, the oakland team I was thinking of won their last 8 to make playoffs, and I looked up worst team to win
SB and it was the NYG , they were 9-7, I think maybe 1 other team was 9-7, so for dallas to make SB with record
less than 9-7 is even more unlikely to happen.
But Dallas is the type of team, that could do it, because they have high potential they just play inconsistent,
and have horrible game plans, and no adjustments, no innovation.
But at times they have played very good, so it is possible I guess.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
your right, the oakland team I was thinking of won their last 8 to make playoffs, and I looked up worst team to win
SB and it was the NYG , they were 9-7, I think maybe 1 other team was 9-7, so for dallas to make SB with record
less than 9-7 is even more unlikely to happen.
But Dallas is the type of team, that could do it, because they have high potential they just play inconsistent,
and have horrible game plans, and no adjustments, no innovation.
But at times they have played very good, so it is possible I guess.

Dandy, if they do crawl into the playoffs, the Cowboys would simply have too much going against them:
  • themselves - too much pressure to be almost perfect, so with this self-imposed pressure comes mistakes and penalties
  • poor game schemes - so almost assuredly outcoached
  • overrated o-line can't consistently create holes
  • unreliable special teams
  • crowd noise (when they have to go on the road)
  • non-impactful BBDB defensive scheme
  • almost no one on the defense will likely enter the playoffs "playing at the top of their game"
  • and more (this is the short list)
Unlike the 9-7 Giants in 2011 that won it all, there's NO WAY this team would be coached up to play with reckless abandon, a nothing-to-lose mentality. It's the Cowboys, so the pressure is always immense, internally and externally.

Thus, it's just too much for this team (or ANY team) to overcome, unless they get really lucky in consecutive games with the opposing team simply collapsing under their own pressure of being the decided favorite (as the Cowboys will certainly be the underdog throughout the playoffs).

Could it happen? Sure, anything's possible, but... :confused:

Michael88Irvin

Reaction score
Dandy, if they do crawl into the playoffs, the Cowboys would simply have too much going against them:
  • themselves - too much pressure to be almost perfect, so with this self-imposed pressure comes mistakes and penalties
  • poor game schemes - so almost assuredly outcoached
  • overrated o-line can't consistently create holes
  • unreliable special teams
  • crowd noise (when they have to go on the road)
  • non-impactful BBDB defensive scheme
  • almost no one on the defense will likely enter the playoffs "playing at the top of their game"
  • and more (this is the short list)
Unlike the 9-7 Giants in 2011 that won it all, there's NO WAY this team would be coached up to play with reckless abandon, a nothing-to-lose mentality. It's the Cowboys, so the pressure is always immense, internally and externally.

Thus, it's just too much for this team (or ANY team) to overcome, unless they get really lucky in consecutive games with the opposing team simply collapsing under their own pressure of being the decided favorite (as the Cowboys will certainly be the underdog throughout the playoffs).

Could it happen? Sure, anything's possible, but... :confused:

All true, but in light of this crappy season, it is one interesting scenario to follow - to possibly become the first to do so?!
Getting in at 7-9 or 8-8 is rare to begin with, so to actually have a team talented enough to do it (notwithstanding the obvious and well noted obstacles & handicaps)... our #1 Offense and #8 Defense just might have the wherewithall to pull it together and 'gel' at just the right time.

Michael88Irvin

Reaction score
All true, but in light of this crappy season, it is one interesting scenario to follow - to possibly become the first to do so?!
Getting in at 7-9 or 8-8 is rare to begin with, so to actually have a team talented enough to do it (notwithstanding the obvious and well noted obstacles & handicaps)... our #1 Offense and #8 Defense just might have the wherewithall to pull it together and 'gel' at just the right time.

Confidence and momentum work in strange ways...

KMY_Amber

Reaction score

Hey, we can dream, right? :flagwave:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would be cool, but at this point seems too far fetched to even discuss as a real possibility. If they can manage convincing wins against the Rams and Eagles I might start hoping, but I'm not there right now.

Michael88Irvin

Reaction score
Hey, we can dream, right? :flagwave:
The thing is we actually 'must' lose to the Rams (lol) to make the scenario happen...:popcorn:

then we start the win streak at Philly :igglestrophy:, then beat the Skins... 8-8 (on a roll - LOL), then host / beat the #5 seed :starspin:... gaining confidence and momentum... then all bets are off. Anything can happen in the next playoff game - and winning that puts us in the NFC championship, and our talented guys aren't going to lay down there. Could become Glory Road. LOL :starspin:

Yep, probably a pipe dream, but stranger things have happened.
Downside: we may end up being stuck with the Clapper if that 'dream' scenario pans out :clap::thumbdown:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
OMG! Really? Is this what it comes down to all of us Cowboy fans? We could win the SB? I like optimism in certain situations, but if I see a rattle snake, I'm the hell out of there! It's not going to happen. However, for some stupid reason, I'm actually liking watching this team flounder and embarrass themselves. If that is the mind of the players...that's cool, because when this team sees a rattle snake, they run like fools.

To, hell with it! Let's go to Disneyland.

9of11

Reaction score
LOL! I wish....it would be great and one of the all time great Super Bowl runs.......but.....We can only wish.