First game losses hurt

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
but aren't the entire season. It's been a few hours now and I'm still upset although not completely downtrodden as all the analysts cannot be wrong, this is a very good team.

The first game of the season always brings out the highest level of excitement, especially after the offseason we had. There is nothing like the first competitive game in eight months. Unlike hockey, baseball or basketball where if you lose, there is often another game the next day, in football it is a looooooooong seven days or more. To have them lose after being undefeated in preseason and after eight months is disheartening.

Unlike previous years, we have legitimate hope this year. Yeah Bledsoe has flaws but so do most QBs in the NFL. Hell, Peyton Manning is probably the best in the business but he still can't win when it counts. He had a terrible game, but he hasn't thrown for close to 45000 yards for nothing. He isn't Troy Aikman but few are. If he had that terrible game in October, people would complain but it would not engender the type of mendacious arguments thrown up since about 4:15 PT today. He will be fine.

The defence did not perform the way I expected it to perform. Damn, it allowed Leftwich and no name WRs to run roughshod over it. Watching Leftwich strut around like he is John Elway made me want to puke.

Yeah I know the 3rd and 14 call was a give up call but given goofo Suisham couldn't hit from 36, what made you think he would have hit from further if we had been sacked?

I still say we win 11-12 games this year.

All is not lost.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
:worthy:

and the 1st loss hurts so much, because there is nothing else to look back on, so we can't say, "oh, well look how great we played last week", so it leaves alot of uncertainty, and 7 days of uncertainty means lots of gnashing of teeth, anxiety and hand-wringing

Kangaroo

Reaction score
That and we looked just like much of last year.

Oline played better (not great better) and Bledsoe still makes big time mistakes against good teams.

The defense looks the same good until it counts then they give up a big play on 3-14 or 4-25 stupid things like that.

So why are we anything better than a 9-7 team when this year looks just like last year.

hooskins

Reaction score
It would be really interesting to see a statistic that shows how teams, which lose the first game, fair for the rest of the season.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Kangaroo said:
That and we looked just like much of last year.

Oline played better (not great better) and Bledsoe still makes big time mistakes against good teams.

The defense looks the same good until it counts then they give up a big play on 3-14 or 4-25 stupid things like that.

So why are we anything better than a 9-7 team when this year looks just like last year.

The big difference I saw, though, was that I don't think we had such good starts against good teams last year.

That to me, at least on this otherwise dreary, dreadful day (lol), is a small sign of encouragement. We obviously have more playmaking ability on offense than last year.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Dale said:
The big difference I saw, though, was that I don't think we had such good starts against good teams last year.

That to me, at least on this otherwise dreary, dreadful day (lol), is a small sign of encouragement. We obviously have more playmaking ability on offense than last year.

Bingo

It's almost as if it came too easily and the boys got complacent. Hell, it should have been 17-0 but Bledsoe overthrew Owens down the middle in the second quarter.

They got complacent, the Jaguars picked it up and boom we lost.

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score
Our first 2 weeks of 1993. Cowboys start 0-2. We know how it ended.

+--------+-------------------------------+----------+---------+
| Week | Opponent | Result | Score |
| 1 | at Washington Commanders | L | 16-35 |
| 2 | Buffalo Bills | L | 10-13 |

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
LowTech said:
Our first 2 weeks of 1993. Cowboys start 0-2. We know how it ended.

| Week | Opponent | Result | Score |
| 1 | at Washington Commanders | L | 16-35 |
| 2 | Buffalo Bills | L | 10-13 |

Even worse, the Washington team that beat us only won three games all season.

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan said:
Even worse, the Washington team that beat us only won three games all season.

1989.....the Cowboys go 1-15. Our lone victory, 13-3 over the Deadskins. That looks even worse for the skins.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
You arent going to win when you go 5-6 plays on offense and punt it away, repeadetly, or turn it over. Outpossesd 35 - 25...thats not a good thing. Jacksonville took it to us after the 1st quarter. No one to blame but ourselves. We're alot better than this, but we deserved to lose the way we played today.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
We're alot better than this, but we deserved to lose the way we played today.

that's how I would describe it, 1st game jitters? j/k, we just got outplayed

we lost the time of possession battle, the field goal battle, field position battle, the turnover battle, and that all led to us being outscored