Twitter: First year records of Super Bowl winning coaches with new teams

Xeven

Reaction score
MM picking up a team where it was coaching that was problem. Now we got good players and good coach.

Aven8

Reaction score
This should be a 13-3 rebound year because of the enthusiasm alone. Having said that, Covid might change all that.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Year 2 or 3 is when I think this team can contend.
There will be a lot of bumps in the road the 1st year.

pansophy

Reaction score
This is why stats without context don’t mean anything. What do almost all first year coaches have in common? They are taking over bad teams. I’m not sure you can say that about the Cowboys.

Johnny23

Reaction score
This is mostly irrelevant, b/c a lot of them were taking over rebuilds. How many moved to a playoff team?
The 1999 Seahawks made the playoffs and were the last team Marino beat in the postseason before Jimmy's last game coaching in that slaughter at the hands of the Jags. They were very up and down that year I think they started 6-2 or 7-2 that year and won a bad afc west.

Johnny23

Reaction score
My recall is not 100 pct but I believe all those jobs were rebuilds. Dallas is not a rebuild.
Seattle wasn't a rebuild. They had been screwed out of the postseason in 1998 because of bad calls vs. Parcells Jets.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is why stats without context don’t mean anything. What do almost all first year coaches have in common? They are taking over bad teams. I’m not sure you can say that about the Cowboys.

fJaHQkr.gif

It's a job half completed, and therefore numbers that don't mean much. They needed to finish the job by showing what the records of those teams were BEFORE these coaches were hired so that it can be better determined what they were stepping into. Only then can you have anything resembling a basis for comparison.

Johnny23

Reaction score
fJaHQkr.gif

It's a job half completed, and therefore numbers that don't mean much. They needed to finish the job by showing what the records of those teams were BEFORE these coaches were hired so that it can be better determined what they were stepping into. Only then can you have anything resembling a basis for comparison.
Holmgrin took over a Seahawks team that was loaded with talent coming off back to back 8-8 campaigns with very similar players composition as ours the last two seasons. Dennis Erickson was in over his as a coach on the NFL level especially when he was given the keys to a team that was supposed to be up and coming. Seattle cut bait with Rick Mirer and signed Warren Warren Moon to try to push for a playoff position and possibly steal a Super bowl.