Video: Fish Cowboys - get serious about safety - Patrick Peterson

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Are u going by how you view Reggie Robinson as a CB rather than safety, .cuz there's been audio per post draft that Jerry proclaim the team
were looking at Reggie as a safety ...rather than CB.

Now with a new defensive Coordinator and a new DB coach, that may be re-evaluated this time around.

Yes and the Cowboys have had so much luck converting corners to safeties. So for arguments sake how about a link with this audio of post draft statement by Jones. Oh since that was after last year's draft and they were LOKKING into that which means POSSIBLY, but then they didn't do it may mean that they didn't think it was a good move after all. All you're trying to do is bring in a player that hasn't played a full season for the last 4 years and then a maybe was going to be but never was a corner turned into a safety. Like I said stick to Madden football.

bigE79

Reaction score
You have no clue of what you speak. The history of the NFL is littered with Safeties that were once CBs. And it didn't take them to get long in the tooth to convert. Dont quit your day job.
Charlie waters is a great example.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes and the Cowboys have had so much luck converting corners to safeties. So for arguments sake how about a link with this audio of post draft statement by Jones. Oh since that was after last year's draft and they were LOKKING into that which means POSSIBLY, but then they didn't do it may mean that they didn't think it was a good move after all. All you're trying to do is bring in a player that hasn't played a full season for the last 4 years and then a maybe was going to be but never was a corner turned into a safety. Like I said stick to Madden football.

- Cowboys have not had ANY luck in acquiring safeties, whether converting, free agency, trades or drafting safeties.
That's just the trend and way of thinking and regards they have made up in their minds about the safety position.

- The Jamal Adams trade failed thru, ditto with Earl Thomas trade and they barely pursued him when he became a FA.

-They never made a bid on free agent Tyranny Mathieu, nor ex-Dolphins Minka Fitzpatrick. Their latest FA flop is Ha Ha Clinton Dix who never even made it out of camp, nor did any other
NFL team even bothered to pick up Dix during the season.

- And what's how history trend when it comes to drafting safeties ?
Xavier Woods ? .. JJ Wilcox ? .. we hope Donovan Wilson is the gem find they hoped. but that's the steady low risks that they're gambling to hit it big.

- Was the team really prepared to select Juan Thornhill instead of Trysten Hill ?

- As for a link with Jerry audio, you have search tools as I do, so Sorry Joey. i'm not about to do that much extra work for you.

- If Patrick Peterson is being talked about as a possible Cowboys pursuit per Fish rant, is it as the declining coverage CB that he has become, or will it be as a converted FS ?

- If Peterson is indeed in consideration as a immediate vet CB starter here, then what kind of term would they seek in him, and I would have to think it will be cheap one as they
tend to want to chase. Thus I would have to hope that an early round CB would still be in the plan while Peterson serves a 1 year incentive lade deal.

- And if they really do pursue Peterson as an immediate CB starter, what does that say about recently re-signed Anthony Brown ?

kskboys

Reaction score
Whether safety or corner it still doesn't change the fact that he hasn't played an entire season for the last 4 years. Then you want to switch Sherman to FS and then say the Cowboys better have his heir apparent Reggie Robinson ready except Robinson is a corner not a safety. Stick to Madden football.
Robinson is either a S or not in the NFL.

kskboys

Reaction score
Man, some people are so naive thinking CB's can't be switched to S. Devin McCourty was CB. Malcom Jenkins also. Mathieu was a college CB.

Happens all the time.

quickccc

Reaction score
first of fits hypothetical, we need a player or players like Boston, Sherman, and/Or PP as stop gaps to bridge the young guys in yet another new defense and Quinn will need time to find the young replacements to learn his system..

you do realize we are likely cleaning house with most of our DBs from 2020 so plans are needed and bodys like vets will help..

I could understand vet players like Sherman or Peterson who have had past substantial success and skill set ala All pro or Pro bowl accolades that could still come in handy depending
upon the scheme and role with a certain DC but Boston has never been on Peterson or Sherman's level as pure playmakers.

It's a reason why he's still traveling around the NFL going from team to team with none of them having an interest in re-signing him long term.
Imo, he's a Ha Ha Clinton Dix type signing. Even though Dix has a single Pro bowl selection, vs the journeyman Boston.

I agree that in some cases you have to have stop gap filler band aids,.. - while you develop heir apparent eventual starters.
Some teams never even pursue heir apparents- and eventual pay the price for such non-moves.

But i'd like to pursue other options first before resorting to a Boston. .

quickccc

Reaction score
Sign Dak & Jets FA Safety, Maye.

.. and we still direly need a hulking run stuffing 1 tech..
.. .a starting CB (when Awuzie departs)
..….two starting LBs (ala Jaylon & Lee) along with LB depth.
...it appears team will gamble that 3 tech types Gallimore and Hill will develop

blueblood70

Reaction score
I could understand vet players like Sherman or Peterson who have had past substantial success and skill set ala All pro or Pro bowl accolades that could still come in handy depending
upon the scheme and role with a certain DC but Boston has never been on Peterson or Sherman's level as pure playmakers.

It's a reason why he's still traveling around the NFL going from team to team with none of them having an interest in re-signing him long term.
Imo, he's a Ha Ha Clinton Dix type signing. Even though Dix has a single Pro bowl selection, vs the journeyman Boston.

I agree that in some cases you have to have stop gap filler band aids,.. - while you develop heir apparent eventual starters.
Some teams never even pursue heir apparents- and eventual pay the price for such non-moves.

But i'd like to pursue other options first before resorting to a Boston. .
gothca IMHO HaHa was prematurely released as scapegoats' for not getting Nolans defense before Game 1..hmm seemed like that was the entire defense was it not,,bet he would have been better then most of what we fielded all year outside of diggs and wilson..now nolans the scapegoat..how is is nearly ours entire FA class was let got for underperforming? bet was more to do with scheme issues first half of the year and they all were scapegoats..

just because one time it doesnt work doesn't mean Biotins not worth look..

Ill let Quinn work that out, these are all hypotheticals here..

quickccc

Reaction score
FS is about speed
Sherman has none
He would be a horrible choice for FS

- Sherman no longer has CB speed but it doesn’t take great 40 speed to play at FS , it takes great instincts, anticipation and knack of the game and the position role.

- There’s been success examples of safeties have been in the league that have excelled at FS - despite average 4.6 or worse physical speed
Ala Malcolm Jenkins, Tyranny Mathieu, Eddie Jackson, etc.

- It also takes ball hawk skills, tackling ability and ability to match up in single coverage vs TEs and slot WRs.

- And as I previously post, those once great CBs like Rod and Charles Woodson, and Aneas Williams could no longer run and cover as CBs, they made easy converted transitions to FS because
of their great instincts and knack for the game and ability to make plays on the ball for big play INTs.

- Sherman has a history of being an INT ball hawk, the questions would be counted on to tackle and support more as a safety, what about his durability
If he’s had issues staying healthy at CB, how does that spell out as a full time safety ?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
- Cowboys have not had ANY luck in acquiring safeties, whether converting, free agency, trades or drafting safeties.
That's just the trend and way of thinking and regards they have made up in their minds about the safety position.

- The Jamal Adams trade failed thru, ditto with Earl Thomas trade and they barely pursued him when he became a FA.

-They never made a bid on free agent Tyranny Mathieu, nor ex-Dolphins Minka Fitzpatrick. Their latest FA flop is Ha Ha Clinton Dix who never even made it out of camp, nor did any other
NFL team even bothered to pick up Dix during the season.

- And what's how history trend when it comes to drafting safeties ?
Xavier Woods ? .. JJ Wilcox ? .. we hope Donovan Wilson is the gem find they hoped. but that's the steady low risks that they're gambling to hit it big.

- Was the team really prepared to select Juan Thornhill instead of Trysten Hill ?

- As for a link with Jerry audio, you have search tools as I do, so Sorry Joey. i'm not about to do that much extra work for you.

- If Patrick Peterson is being talked about as a possible Cowboys pursuit per Fish rant, is it as the declining coverage CB that he has become, or will it be as a converted FS ?

- If Peterson is indeed in consideration as a immediate vet CB starter here, then what kind of term would they seek in him, and I would have to think it will be cheap one as they
tend to want to chase. Thus I would have to hope that an early round CB would still be in the plan while Peterson serves a 1 year incentive lade deal.

- And if they really do pursue Peterson as an immediate CB starter, what does that say about recently re-signed Anthony Brown ?

First off when people state something and are asked for a link they usually do just to rub it in the person's face, but when they say they're not going to do it it usually means they just made it up and know there isn't a link out there. Next the ONLY ones talking about acquiring Peterson are sportswriters who are just speculating to get clicks. So all you've given us is your speculation and sportswriters speculation and both of those and 2 bucks can get you a cup of coffee.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Robinson is either a S or not in the NFL.

Robinson is a corner and if the Cowboys were serious about converting him to a safety they would have done it this last season. He may not be with the cowboys although a corner for depth on a rookie contract that is less than 1 mil cap hit, may be kept and if released I didn't know you had an in with the other 32 teams to know that another team wouldn't sign him for depth and let him progress some more. He could end up on some teams practice squad. MY last question is if you think he is so bad at corner then what makes you think he would be all that good at safety, he would still have to cover players?

quickccc

Reaction score
First off when people state something and are asked for a link they usually do just to rub it in the person's face, but when they say they're not going to do it it usually means they just made it up and know there isn't a link out there. Next the ONLY ones talking about acquiring Peterson are sportswriters who are just speculating to get clicks. So all you've given us is your speculation and sportswriters speculation and both of those and 2 bucks can get you a cup of coffee.

Ditto with Your views and own speculations, you don't seem to offer anything differently,..
Great try... for all the blah blah whining in demanding an audio link, feel free to " speculate " what'd you think,
in submitting to your demands but i'm not for doing extra work for the likes of you with the addition to something you could do for yourself on your own time.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Ditto with Your views and own speculations, you don't seem to offer anything differently,..
Great try... for all the blah blah whining in demanding an audio link, feel free to " speculate " what'd you think,
in submitting to your demands but i'm not for doing extra work for the likes of you with the addition to something you could do for yourself on your own time.

So you've got nothing just like i thought. The problem with your last reply I didn't speculate on anything, in fact I pointed out all the speculation that has gone on.