Twitter: Fish: Cowboys interview Dan Quinn

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Since they’re going former coaches or McCarthy protege. Lewis or Quinn seem the best candidates.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Bill Belichik has been able to be an excellent head coach and have very good defenses for most of the years he's been HC in New England. We even see Bill Belichik take the chalk board and coach up his defense on the sideline during games in front of his D-Coordinators. That's what I want. A coach that knows how to coach up a defense every year even when he's been the head coach of his team.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
My only issue with Quinn is his coordinator reputation is built on only two years with a Seattle defense that was already good and had great players. I'd rather have someone who's been a coordinator for a longer period of time but that also might not get the best person.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Few nuggets if he's hired;

* return to Marinelli's scheme
*I think we still hire Witt or Simmons
* Kris Richard back?
* He and Jason Garrett are good friends ( Sabans Dolphin team together )
* I'm resisting holding his Falcon tenure against him. ( he could very well be a great-coordinator, terrible head coach type )
That 2016 Falcons team was good offensively and defensively. They should have won the Super Bowl that year. For some reason the media gives Shanahan the credit for the wins and Quinn the credit for the loss.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Pretty easy to look good with the talent they had. How has Atlanta’s defense been?
He was in Seattle before they became the legion of boom. He helped coach them up. Good coach we just need the players to help him improve the defense. The Falcons were the best team in Football in 2016 but blew the Super Bowl. They beat the crap out of Seattle and Green Bay in the playoffs.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Bill Belichik has been able to be an excellent head coach and have very good defenses for most of the years he's been HC in New England. We even see Bill Belichik take the chalk board and coach up his defense on the sideline during games in front of his D-Coordinators. That's what I want. A coach that knows how to coach up a defense every year even when he's been the head coach of his team.
That's EXTREMELY rare though. Only him and Mike Zimmer do that. All the other head coaches that come from the defensive side of the ball leave it all to there DC. While offensive coaches usually have an OC but are still calling plays. Defense is a different animal and is dependent on quite a few things.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think he's a good defensive coach but I am really hoping for an inspiring hiring and he's not that (granted, I am probably being stupid expecting anything inspiring from the Jones boys).

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From three guys that have officially interviewed or will interview hes the best option.

Still im not a big fan of washed up Coaches whose last really successful years are a longtime ago. I mean he did reach a Superbowl a few years ago but we know how that ended..

Last time he had a really good D was the 2013-2014 Legion of Boom in Seattle.
But its not that hard when you have prime Sherman, Chancellor and Thomas.

Hey if we bring him in we might not have to take 30 Points per Game from the opponent but blow 30 point leads :D

Just because he blew the SB bowl, or should say the TEAM did. Does not mean he is washed up or will not be a good hire. He did have them winning for a while and make the SB. He had good defenses before, with good talent. At least to what you say. With the talent in Seattle, who wouldn't succeed? Come on, they still needed coaching.

I am not saying hire him, as I do not know how I would feel actually. Can't be any worse, but then we thought that about Nolan taking over for Rod.
I guess no matter who they hire, I will not get overly excited.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since they’re going former coaches or McCarthy protege. Lewis or Quinn seem the best candidates.

I am not sure who I prefer of the 2. Maybe Lewis. But does it matter if it is either or someone else. I will not get hyped over any DC until I see results on the field. I am just happy Nolan is gone at this point.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Ok, so he was Seattle's Legion of Boom D-Coordinator before he went to be head coach for the Falcons.

What happened in Atlanta? Where was his Legion of Boom there?

You do realize that being the HC of a team and being the DC of a team are two very different roles and most of those roles have very little to do with talent acquisition right?

My3Sons

Reaction score
Seattle. He was the leader of the legion of boom.
True. It is also true that he had studs everywhere on that defense.
Earl Thomas
Richard Sherman
Kam Chancellor
Bobby Wagner
Michael Bennett
KJ Wright
Bruce Irvin
Chris Avril

These guys were all in their prime. When he didnt coach the above players, what did he do?

Maybe we could get Charlie Weis too. Did you see what he did with New England?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think he's a good defensive coach but I am really hoping for an inspiring hiring and he's not that (granted, I am probably being stupid expecting anything inspiring from the Jones boys).

This is where I am........he probably a decent coordinator, I'm just not feeling him. In fact, I almost rather have Simmons.