News: Fish: Jerry Jones Would Consider Aikman as GM

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Jimmy wants to stay a legend - and retired. No way he's coming back to that headache, then run the risk of tarnishing his legacy.

Nah. He likes fishing too much.

That may be, but I think that Jerry should at least ask Jimmy to start with. I can see significant success happening if Jerry and Jimmy reunite. That magic they had was insane. I think we need that magic back. But, I could also see Jerry going with Garrett as a GM. As stated, Garrett's a bad HC, but he wasn't awful when it came to player acquisitions. Maybe having him as GM could be a decent idea.

Big_D

Reaction score
Anyone but Jerry at this point. That’s no exaggeration. I dont care one bit as long as it’s not a Jones family member. Or someone who is “like family”!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And what of the GM torch being passed to his son? How would any GM work within the family that wasn't part of it?

Tom Hagen learned that blood is thicker than water and so would anyone who took that job, if it was ever offered, which I do not see happening unless the son has told the father he doesn't want the GM title, Pres will do just fine.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I don't blame him for being pissed, just don't like that he did it publicly....Troy was a warrior, I still think Woodson would be more level headed and a better GM

The Cowboys don't need anymore level heads. They need someone to get after that ***!

Garrett wanted to be friends with his team. If you are the leader and are in war, someone has to get into the face of others...on TV.

It's a moot point, because it won't happen. If the Cowboys this season start losing games?

I don't want to see Dak trying to throw a cup in the trash. His team loves him, good. I want to see him on the sidelines this season in the heat of the battle...show the fans what you are...show some dog. Same with Zeke...

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Elway is tricky. He did get them to two SB's, winning one. However he does seem to struggle with tradional team building. If he gets Rodgers next offseason, he will probably build that team similar to how he put talent around Manning. It will probably be successful short term
I don't believe Elway is the GM any longer.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/.amp...ry-jones-would-consider-hiring-gm-troy-aikman

"I would consider it and I do consider it," Jones revealed. "I would not be averse to that. ... I'd put Troy at the head of the list''

Just talk or is it possible?

I don't know if Troy would be any better than Jerry. I guess I could see some saying it couldn't be worse, but I'd rather see us go with a legitimate personnel man who has cut his teeth helping stock good teams than a former Dallas Cowboy who has spent his retirement from football in a broadcast booth.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Last time Aikman had a hand as GM, he hand-picked some TE. Was the name David LaFlower? Worked out real well.

Aikman was never great as a QB. The team was great. Aikman stinks as an announcer. Listen to Aikman and listen to Romo. See the difference. One knows football, one doesn’t. Aikman is just a name some fans automatically gravitate to.

Does Aikman owe you money? Did he refuse to sign your jersey? Did he call your mama ugly?

I like Romo better as a broadcaster too, but Aikman also became a top broadcaster for a reason. He also was part of the reasons those 1990s teams were great.

LaFleur was admittedly a bad OK by him, but primarily because he couldn't stay healthy.

RoboQB

Reaction score
You ever see the film of him crapping all over Barry? That should be done in house and not on NFL films...

It was on the sideline and he was right.
Nobody was doing anything about it "in house".
Barry deserved it, as history proved.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Maybe...

*Maybe* Troy would be interested in a GM job. Sure wouldn't be in Dallas. He's made his views clear on the dysfunction that is Jerry...in part drove him to retire as player.
He’s lobbied publicly (on air) for becoming the Cowboys’ GM ......

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was on camera.....should have kept his mouth shut. Lost all respect for him when he did that.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Barry won a SB championship with Jerry's team. He did what he was paid to do. You could have probably won it and prove Jerry right.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Barry won a SB championship with Jerry's team. He did what he was paid to do. You could have probably won it and prove Jerry right.

Of course, an old coach is gonna defend an old coach... lol

You make it sound like Aikman KNEW he was on camera.
As you should know, things get heated on the sideline.
Fouts, Marino and about a thousand other QBs have
cussed players and coaches on camera.

You're still a good dude in my book though, Ranchy!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course, an old coach is gonna defend an old coach... lol

You make it sound like Aikman KNEW he was on camera.
As you should know, things get heated on the sideline.
Fouts, Marino and about a thousand other QBs have
cussed players and coaches on camera.

You're still a good dude in my book though, Ranchy!
I like that...respect! Salud....