Twitter: Fish: Should McGovern start over Biadasz?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I admit to having NO Clue how good or bad this kid is playing. Guess few questions comes to mine

• Is he a liability and what I mean is he actually hurting the team to the point there's no reason to believe he will improve?
  • Is his issue(s) correctable?
  • Are you willing to burn a high draft 2022 draft pick as replacement?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
People have the generally tendency to not want to do anything different when the going is good (i.e., the team winning). That said, Biadasz has clearly had some struggles, if the team thinks they can improve by putting McGovern in, so be it.

Biadasz is still effectively a rookie (~10 NFL games now?), so there’s still room for growth. That said, he also may be limited in terms of ceiling.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I have not seen McGovern play center in the NFL. I have to believe that the reason they were trying Connor at center over McGovern is because McGovern was not a good option over Biadasz based on what the coaches had seen.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
People have the generally tendency to not want to do anything different when the going is good (i.e., the team winning). That said, Biadasz has clearly had some struggles, if the team thinks they can improve by putting McGovern in, so be it.

Biadasz is still effectively a rookie (~10 NFL games now?), so there’s still room for growth. That said, he also may be limited in terms of ceiling.

Good post! This is true for any young player but at what cost? If he's making the right OLine calls and just need experience and time in the weight room, that's shouldn't be an issue. It's why I asked if his issue is correctable?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I admit to having NO Clue how good or bad this kid is playing. Guess few questions comes to mine

• Is he a liability and what I mean is he actually hurting the team to the point there's no reason to believe he will improve?

His snaps this past week were a bit off.....he's probably starting to think too much. I would not be surprised if Belichick goes after him this week. It could be his make or break game, with the bye coming up it would be a good week to make a change if needed

DanA

Reaction score
I think Biadasz has three issues:
1. An inconsistent snap
2. Slow transition from snap (shotgun) to pass protection
3. A weak anchor and ability to reset

On the flip side, he's good at:
1. Communicating at the LOS
2. Pulling
3. Run blocking

In every offense, someone's got to be the weakness and IMO while that's Biadasz, that doesn't make him a bad player. In terms of "if" his issues are fixable.....of course they are, and he's worth persisting with. But I would not be against a high draft pick spent, perhaps not on an OC specifically, but on an interior linemen with position flex. Farniok was not drafted high enough to warrant much consideration, Connor Williams will be gone, and McGovern will be in a contract year. While Alarcon made tremendous strides, I'd feel much better if we had a 2nd/3rd round OC/OG developing behind expected starters Biadasz/McGovern. All going well that 2nd/3rd round pick would then take over from McGovern year 2 or if that Guard position is filled by someone else, compete with Biadasz to start as OC. Either way, that extra depth on the O-line would be nice to have.

Last edited:

terra

Reaction score
I think Biadasz has three issues:
1. An inconsistent snap
2. Slow transition from snap (shotgun) to pass protection
3. A weak anchor and ability to reset

On the flip side, he's good at:
1. Communicating at the LOS
2. Pulling
3. Run blocking

In every offense, someone's got to be the weakness and IMO while that's Biadasz, that doesn't make him a bad player. In terms of "if" his issues are fixable.....of course they are, and he's worth persisting with. But I would not be against a high draft pick spent, perhaps not on an OC specifically, but on an interior linemen with position flex. Farniok was not drafted high enough to warrant much consideration, Connor Williams will be gone, and McGovern will be in a contract year. While Alarcon made tremendous strides, I'd feel much better if we had a 2nd/3rd round OC/OG developing behind expected starters Biadasz/McGovern. All going well that 2nd/3rd round pick would then take over from McGovern year 2 or if that Guard position is filled by someone else, compete with Biadasz to start as OC. Either way, that extra depth on the O-line would be nice to have.
A relatively high pick is not to be wasted on a backup. Position flex is good for a backup but not for a starter- the old saying jack of all trades master of none is true for all but the very best (Martin). By the end of this season the team should have a good read on Biadasz. If they think that they need to upgrade then they will draft someone who is an upgrade, a center in college. Remember Biadasz was rather highly thought of in college and really is pretty much a rookie in a lot of ways. No training camp last year and then was injured. BP said one should give high draft picks three years to prove themselves before junking them. Now some picks are disasters from day one but the three year rule is pretty good when looking at a position like Center.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Not ready to change centers just yet but would hope that McGovern is getting snaps at center during the week.

DominantD

Reaction score
Biadasz is showing promise. Will he develop a little more lower body strength to better "anchor" next year? The issue of being bull-rushed is related to what we see with Connor Williams. Both players are mobile and play well. But side by side they can be exposed by big rushers. One of these two needs to get stronger so that the other's weakness is less impactful.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
His snaps this past week were a bit off.....he's probably starting to think too much. I would not be surprised if Belichick goes after him this week. It could be his make or break game, with the bye coming up it would be a good week to make a change if needed

I think Baddy has a higher ceiling than most. Maybe having him sit for a few games will help clear his mind. I agree his brain is probably his worst enemy right now. Purge the mind of outside thoughts and just concentrate on what you need to do. I've seen this with kids in baseball and rodeo. Overthink and you ain't doing the little things right.

DanA

Reaction score
A relatively high pick is not to be wasted on a backup. Position flex is good for a backup but not for a starter- the old saying jack of all trades master of none is true for all but the very best (Martin). By the end of this season the team should have a good read on Biadasz. If they think that they need to upgrade then they will draft someone who is an upgrade, a center in college. Remember Biadasz was rather highly thought of in college and really is pretty much a rookie in a lot of ways. No training camp last year and then was injured. BP said one should give high draft picks three years to prove themselves before junking them. Now some picks are disasters from day one but the three year rule is pretty good when looking at a position like Center.

Golston - We had Gregory/Lawrence
Odigi - We had Gallimore (himself a 3rd)
Gallimore - We had Hill (himself a 2nd)
Joseph - We had Brown on 5m per season (too much for a backup)
Wright - We just drafted Joseph
McGovern - We had Connor Williams (Martin/Frederick untouchable)
Jaylon - We knew he'd sit out a year
Chaz Green - We had Tron and Collins

I think the evidence points to you being dead wrong about high draft picks "wasted" on backups. We might want 2nd/3rd rounders to compete for starting spots, but they aren't handed them year 1. And plenty of high draft picks have position flex. Just look at Parsons (DE/MIKE), Byron Jones (S/CB), Connor Williams (OT/OG), McGovern (OC/OG), Golston (DE/DT), Crawford (DE/DT), Bruce Carter (edge/LB). Lots of guys with position flex in the first three rounds.

fivetwos

Reaction score
His run blocking is at a very high level, and his snap problems are only recent.

That's not a guess.

This part is.....

What's the alternative? Williams? I think proved he couldn't snap well in the preseason. You'd beg for Biadasz in this case.

McGovern? Love him as a guard, but not sure he can snap well either.

Farinok? Ready to have a rookie make all the line calls?

All in all we are using the best overall option.

I personally would help him out by starting McGovern at LG. He is better than Williams there.

Also once Collins is back Martin may be able to help inside more often, with Biadasz improving in the meanwhile.

People need to let this center "problem" go for now. It'll fix itself. Not every position can be perfect nor does it need to be. That pretty much needed to be the case under Garrett. Those days are over.

kevinhickey

Reaction score

I was wrong about Steele starting at RT; so I will leave it to the coaches. They are on top of things.