Five 2020 NFL Draft Prospect Comparisons I Love

bodi

Reaction score
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/six-2020-draft-prospect-comparisons-i-love

OKLAHOMA WR CEEDEE LAMB :: HOUSTON TEXAS WR DEANDRE HOPKINS
Not the biggest. Not the fastest. Not the quickest. But crisp movements, incredible body control and terrific hands. Yeah -- this comparison checks out from a traits perspective. Lamb's best case scenario is he can develop into the same all-around player that we've seen DeAndre Hopkins become with the Houston Texans.

Lamb isn't Hopkins yet -- but remember, Hopkins didn't go until the 27th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft because he didn't have elite speed or elite size. And Lamb, at 6-foot-2 and 191 pounds, isn't going to be the biggest or fastest prospect of the 2020 wide receivers and likely will suffer some of the same narratives. Consider me okay with it.

BOISE STATE EDGE CURTIS WEAVER :: PHILADELPHIA EAGLES DE DEREK BARNETT
You ever just look at a guy and say "Holy S*$%! That's so and so!"? That was the first 2 games of watching Weaver for me this weekend. Similar physical build, a similar burst off the snap, similar presence with his hands and ability to get skinny through gaps.

And -- don't shoot the messenger here -- their production is similar, too. Barnett had 19 sacks and 33 tackles for loss through his first two seasons, while Weaver offers 20.5 sacks and 28 tackles for loss through his first two with the Broncos.

Sure, Boise State is a little different setting than Tennessee. But the physical tools and strengths/weaknesses are all there.

COLORADO WR LAVISKA SHENAULT :: KANSAS CITY CHIEFS WR SAMMY WATKINS
This is a usage comparison. You want to have success using Laviska Shenault in an NFL offense? Use him exactly how the Bills used Watkins before durability became a question. Watkins was lightning in a bottle in short spaces and difficult to prevent from stacking defensive backs on the perimeter as a deep threat.

You want to not have success using Laviska Shenault in your offense? Use him exactly how the Colorado Buffaloes deemed they needed to use him last year.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Regarding the two other comparisons you didn't mention:

Xavier McKinney - Minkah. I don't see that at all. The author mentions versatility and I just see McKinney as a solid-but-not-spectacular safety. Minkah is a Swiss-army knife with big play ability.

Jake Fromm - Andy Dalton. I see that all day. Fromm is a bus driver just like Dalton. He can run your offense and generally won't get you beat, but at the same time, you can't expect him to put the team on his back and win games.

As far as Curtis Weaver, every year I ask friends (online draft guys and scouts) to give me some names of players that no one is talking about that we will be talking about come draft season. I also had some insight into him from an Army buddy who coached him in high school and 3 of my former players who have played at Boise State the last few years. I'm literally surprised @Floatyworm hasn't been singing his praises already.

With our love of Boise State players (who is that region's Cowboys scout? because he seems to have a lot of sway), I wouldn't be surprised if he's our pick. Value and need may match up perfectly.

curtis-weaver.jpg