Five Guys That Must Go From Good To Great In 2006

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
starheader-may28.gif

Every team in the NFL wants their younger players to continue to grow and become better players each and every season. The Cowboys have a nice group of young talented players on both sides of the ball, but if some of them don't step up their game in 2006 the Cowboys won't be hoisting up a Vince Lombardi Trophy next February.

Here's five of the young core guys that must improve in 2006.

1. Strong Safety Roy Williams - Some of you are saying that 'Roy is fine' or 'Roy does enough for this defense and we should be happy'. I don't agree. Williams is a great player when he is near the line of scrimmage, but he turns into an average player away from the line of scrimmage. He has to work on his coverage skills and his recognition skills. Now these two may go hand in hand for Williams. We all know that he isn't the fastest player on the field so he has to get a better feel from watching the quarterback where the ball may be headed. This should allow him the extra step or two to break up those long pass plays that have been troubling him over the last few seasons. Please don't try the argument that he's a Strong Safety and it's not his job to cover the deep ball either. As a 'Safety' you are the last line of defense so it is indeed his job.

2. Middle Linebacker Bradie James - Yes, he came on big last season in his first year as a starter in the middle. Well now I want to see him create more turnovers and be a physical presence on a few more plays. How many forced fumbles did James have in 2005? None. This is not acceptable for a guy who led the team in tackles. If he is able to bring more physicality to his game that will probably lead to some turnovers for the Cowboys defense. I want to see him with at least four or five forced fumbles in 2006 and maybe a few highlight reel hits. Tackles are great, but turnovers are better.

3. Cornerback Terence Newman - First let me say that his play in 2005 was dramatically improved over his work in 2004. Now let's improve it again in 2006. He is another guy who does not create nearly enough turnovers when you compare it to the number of times he is involved in a tackle or a pass defense. A lot of you are saying that he doesn't have a lot of interceptions because teams rarely throw at him. Remember that dropped interception against Denver last season? In 2006 he has to make those plays. If he can double his interceptions from 3 in 2005 to at least 6 in 2006 the Cowboys defense should be greatly improved. Newman only had 1 forced fumble, double that total too.

4. Running Back Julius Jones - I know, I know - he was injured. Well in some of the games that he wasn't injured he didn't exactly light it up. In the first four games last season he was very healthy and his longest run was all of 14 yards. That's not going to cut it in 2006. In those same four games his average per carry was below 4 yards. That's also not going to cut it 2006. I am a fan of Jones because I have seen him shine very brightly on occasions, but then other times he flickers out. He has to come out and light up some defenses early on in the season. Makes team a little scared that he's going to hurt them with a long run here and there. Two things, stay healthy and create some long runs to get the offense excited with his play.

5. Center Al Johnson - The word around Dallas is that Johnson gained 17 pounds of muscle this past off-season. Now the question is going to be, Does that make him a better player? I think Coach Parcells is going to give him every opportunity to win the Center job over Andre Gurode because he's a smarter player on the field. But if he can't hold back these bigger defensive tackles it won't matter because Gurode is still probably the bigger man. Johnson was considered a technician on the field, now Coach Parcells want him more in the style of a mauler. This type of play wears down defensive lineman a lot quicker and allows an offense to impose it's will on a team when the fourth quarter rolls around.

All five of these guys should have bright futures as Dallas Cowboys, but instead of settling on them as being good players I would like to see them become great players in 2006. I hope all of them take their game to a higher level while helping the Cowboys reach that goal of winning Super Bowl XLI.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
we should be worried about a few other players instead of the ones you named.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
Dude Williams and Newman are there (already great). Replace them with Ware and Spears.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
stilltheguru said:
we should be worried about a few other players instead of the ones you named.

I am worried about Johnson and Jones. They do need to step up and grow up.

But the other three? Unless they repeat their worst career years (Williams and Newman - 2004; James - his first two years), we will be fine.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It's interesting you put the "focus" on the secondary and at linebacker and not on the pass rush.

If we get a pass rush, then we don't have to worry so much about a free safety or Roy Williams having to cover the deep portion of the field.

Corners can't cover all day long. And if coverage isn't Roy Williams' strong point - I disagree, but for the sake of argument I'll play along - then you free him up from having to cover smaller, faster receivers by getting to the quarterback.

It's equally interesting that you place Al Johnson on the list.

Here's my amended list.

1. DeMarcus Ware. Yes, he showed potential, giving us a glimpse of what he could do when he put it all together, see Carolina game. But he has to develop more than one move. And he has to get more pressure/sacks on the quarterback. His development into a pass rush terror will help the secondary IMMENSELY. Not to mention that Cowboys fans are going to be too miffed if he has another single digit season and Merriman, who has gotten even bigger, gets 15 sacks.

2. Marco Rivera. Okay, he has reached his prime and being "great" may be a stretch. But we signed this guy to be a stabilizer on the offensive line, and he got injured. Hopefully, he's recovered fully - or as fully as a 11 year veteran can - and can play up to his free agency pay check.

3. Rob Pettiti. I give him a "good" because he was a low round draft pick who started. But he has to get significantly better and stop being a turnstile for quick pass rushing defensive ends. He represents the future. We need him to come through because the free agent signees are near or past their prime.

4. Marcus Spears/Chris Canty. We have the beef up front in these guys. Now they have to do a better job of getting to the passer and keeping huge offensive linemen off our linebackers. They should be coming into their own this year, and a major step by these two will take this club far this season.

5. Julius Jones. He has the talent. But he has to stay healthy. With TO in the stable, this is the year he should TRULY break loose for more than 1,500 and be considered an elite back. The question is, can he play for 16 games?

superpunk

Reaction score
Weird selections, IMO. Instead of Williams, Newman, I'd put Ware, Henry.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One positive for Al Johnson that's being often overlooked:

His biggest weakness was being manhandled by huge 3-4 nose tackles.

The good news for both Al and the Cowboys is that they face 0 teams running the 3-4 defense this season, meaning he'll have few if any guys lining up directly in front of him.

Given that he's another year removed from a serious knee injury and he's had another offseason adding lower body strength, I think Johnson will assert himself as the Cowboys center for now and the future.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
stasheroo said:
The good news for both Al and the Cowboys is that they face 0 teams running the 3-4 defense this season, meaning he'll have few if any guys lining up directly in front of him.
Did not realize that. Definitely good news for Al.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Newman isn't likely to generate a bunch of turn overs. Its just not likely to happen. He would need to develope into a player of Deions level for it to happen. Teams just don't throw his way enough for him to rack up big INT numbers.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Intresting but you left off key players
here's my list

1. Drew Bledsoe- Yes he performed decent given the OL he had, but we have shored up our OL, and With "hotel" back he should have ample time to throw the ball. With Witten, TO, and fason, all able to catch the ball, and being big bodies, there should be zero accuarcy problems. With Terry going deep, there should be a damn good TD/INT ratio. If Drew BLedsoe cannont perform with the cast around him, then he will need to be sat down.

2. Al Johnson- He was rountinley trampled on by guys big NT. It's time he step up or get sat down. I dont want to hear any ecxcuses, he played horrid last year, with time's looking decent. Fumbling the snap over and over with Bledsoe, getting ran down is in excusable as a center in the NFL.

3.DeMarcus Ware- Yes our Rookie of thte Year was only good last year. He showed great power and skill, but he must improve this year, in order to be a succes. With bobby carpenter on the other side there is no excuse for not having and outstanding year.

4.Jason Ferguson- The big papi, is one of the most important guys on this list that need to step it up. At times last year, he looked lazy and fat, and unable to play at the NFL condition. He must step up his game. He is the key for this DL success. He can be great when he wants to be. Now we just need him to want to be

5.Braide James- This is the supposde replacement for Dat. He has good size, and has some decent instincts, but he needs to step up his game. He is playing an important position in the 3-4 Def, and will definatly need to up his game, if he wants to keep his position, and if the Cowboys want to contend for the best defense in the NFL.

These are just 5 of the many guys that need to go from good to great.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
stasheroo said:
One positive for Al Johnson that's being often overlooked:

His biggest weakness was being manhandled by huge 3-4 nose tackles.

Given that he's another year removed from a serious knee injury and he's had another offseason adding lower body strength, I think Johnson will assert himself as the Cowboys center for now and the future.

Good point!

Wait, according to some Al Johnson is awful anyways. Nevermind.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
WHAT 3-4 TEAMS did we play last year?

and newman can be a deion like player.dont know why he cant be.he has the speed and quickness to be deionlike.

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Weird selections, IMO. Instead of Williams, Newman, I'd put Ware, Henry.

Why Henry? He was the MVP of the first half of the season, and would have been for the entire season had he not injured his groin. He & Bledsoe were the two FAs from last year who truly earned their bonus. The rest of that class needs to put it in gear.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Cogan said:
Why Henry? He was the MVP of the first half of the season, and would have been for the entire season had he not injured his groin. He & Bledsoe were the two FAs from last year who truly earned their bonus. The rest of that class needs to put it in gear.
Henry has something that OC's was able to see and test him on. Henry was getting a lot more balls thrown his way than Newman. More balls should lead to more picks. Henry isn't bad, but I wouldn't say he was great.

superpunk

Reaction score
Cogan said:

We don't know that he would have kept that up.

But mebbe I'd sub in Rivera.

Yeah - def Rivera.