Twitter: Fix it and fix it fast

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Garrett use to always say, "We'll look at what we did wrong and fix it." Well, that went on for over 5 years as HC. I think Quinn is a different cat, but the defense has not been anything but average all year long. Going in to the Denver debacle they were #18 in defense. I'm sure they're much lower right now.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of defensive problems were covered up by turnovers. And it showed.
This defense is better, but not by a lot. It could be better when the injured guys return. But it still needs another year. and the FO to get their heads out of their butts and get some real DT's and S's as well. For long term.

The S's are better, but they are not what a SB defense needs. The DT's are the same sieve. Need Hill and Gallimore to see what they have. Then they can look at the draft from there.

Draft needs are still in no order, DT, S, LB...then CB, DE but a DE not one of these...well, he played out of position types.
And OL to replace Smith and Willams.

Praxit

Reaction score
Watching the DQ presser, I got the distinct impression this defense is getting fixed quickly. DQ will not stand for that garbage they put on tape against Denver.
...yep ..yep. I also watched some of DC's presser. Dude, is focused on getting on right track, he firmly believes they will. Psychologically, he's a positive force to probably everyone around him. Smart man too.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Fundamentals sorely lacking Sunday. Tackling was abysmal, hats not flying to the ball, bad technique in coverage, DEs not setting the edge, etc., etc.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I used to love watching my coordinators on the whiteboard....oc would say I'm gonna do this and the dc would say, then l do this...and then the oc says, we'll then I'll do this and the DC would say but what if I do this! Lol....I would say shut the hell up and get to work!
It's a big chess match...I love it!!

OGCowboy

Reaction score
I believe they’ll be better as season goes along. I’ve always had much respect for DQ....he’s a git er done no nonsense coach in my book that doesn’t back down. Extremely positive attitude uplifting kinda guy.
Reminds me so much of my college DC....I would’ve run through a brick wall for the guy or at least attempted it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coaches cannot create talent, they are slaves to it and so is Quinn. And I do not think some consider just how far this team had to go with talent on the D side of the ball. They will need a draft at least as good as this one on D, if not better.

The best masquerade for a mediocre defense is turnovers but those are not coming at the same rate.

I tell you one place he can start, make sure the first guy there is making the tackle and let the second go for the ball. Tacking 101.

And if they show ATL the same amount of disrespect from the coaches and players as they did DEN, 6-3.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Between the hate and the language violation I had no choice but to report this.

I don't know how they do things in Hawaii, bro, but around here there are rules.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett use to always say, "We'll look at what we did wrong and fix it." Well, that went on for over 5 years as HC. I think Quinn is a different cat, but the defense has not been anything but average all year long. Going in to the Denver debacle they were #18 in defense. I'm sure they're much lower right now.

Thank God our offense kept us in the game esp from Q 1 to 3.........:muttley:

garyo1954

Reaction score

I think he said all that needed to be said with, "You did it, own it!"

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

We've got a defense designed to play with a lead. Small and fast to stop a passing game. When the offense scores nothing, opposing offenses don't have to pass. They can pick run or pass. If we go small and fast, they can run us over.

Seemed to me that they had some big physical WRs and TEs just running over our back 7. Seems like a recipe others should copy.

glimmerman

Reaction score
This defense is better, but not by a lot. It could be better when the injured guys return. But it still needs another year. and the FO to get their heads out of their butts and get some real DT's and S's as well. For long term.

The S's are better, but they are not what a SB defense needs. The DT's are the same sieve. Need Hill and Gallimore to see what they have. Then they can look at the draft from there.

Draft needs are still in no order, DT, S, LB...then CB, DE but a DE not one of these...well, he played out of position types.
And OL to replace Smith and Willams.
Give up a big run and stuff them for 2 downs with tackles for a loss. Then give up a 3rd down play. Sunday I saw them give up passes down the middle with 2 or 3 defenders just standing there watching. Reminded me of Marinelli days. They were not swarming to or around the ball. Just no effort. By the whole team. Our Defense can start strong but like any other team if our Offense don’t put up points to make them try to answer then they can pick us apart. Big runs and easy 3rd and long passes. Or they get the pass off and can’t make the tackle. That irks me. They get the pass and turn it up and we contact but don’t make the tackle.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
Fundamentals sorely lacking Sunday. Tackling was abysmal, hats not flying to the ball, bad technique in coverage, DEs not setting the edge, etc., etc.

Which was so weird because it was the exact opposite against the Vikings, we were flying to the ball, sure handed tackling, it looked great.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn't really matter how well they've stopped the run in the previous 6 games if they get gashed during this one. That leads to one and done in the playoffs. It's too late for a Fletcher Cox type addition to the DL, although he'd have been the best D lineman on the team if he'd been added. The 1T position has got to be a target in next year's draft. In my opinion and based on Sunday, the DL and OL are currently the missing links for a championship run.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Effort. Make the effort. Put in some good hard practice. We will now see how the staff and the leaders of the team do. Get in there and mix it up.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
It's simple. You're getting zero pass rush from your LE and next to nothing up the middle. How about letting Parsons line up at LE opposite Gregory on 3rd and 5+ plays. I would go with 3 down lineman, Parsons, Osa, Gregory. 2-3 LBers something like Kearse, LVE, Neal. Your 3 corners and 2 safeties Wilson, Hooker. Since you can't generate a pass rush with Gregory, Osa and 2 bums eliminate the bums, put Parsons on the line and start blitzing one of the other defenders. QBs hate when corners and safeties blitz, it annoys the crap out of them and olineman. I think this is better than sticking with the same trash. Basham, Armstrong and Golston offer very little in the pass rush department.