Fix this 1 negative and reap a lit of positives

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I wish we'd just start off in the 2 minute drill. It's seems to be our best offense. Sadly I think that's when coaches have the least input. Maybe it's just because defense play softer in those scenarios.
I like this idea. Up tempo seems to help Dak and puts the D on their back foot a bit.

You can’t sustain it continually, but mixing it up and putting the pedal to the floor when you have the D in a look that gives you favorable matchups or when you have found a nice rhythm makes a ton of sense.

Also— when Dak uses his legs, our offense plays better. Just that little extra threat tends to help ease the D off a bit.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Over his career, irregardless of his OC or HC, Dak and the offense have often been plagued by slow, sloppy starts.

He can find his rhythm at times, sometimes even mad-scrambling back into a comeback or near comeback, but over and over and over again— this offense is sluggish out of the gates.

Fix this problem, and a lot starts to change. Doesn’t make the team flawless by any stretch, but it will go a long way towards positioning them to play their brand of football.

1. The D plays better with a lead. This team is built to rush the passer, and can’t do that when teams can pound the rock at will. When the offense grabs the early lead, we win far more games than we lose.

2. Confidence. This team plays best with a swagger, and when they are battling for every yard and dropping passes, and committing drive killing penalties, their morale plummets. Fast, up tempo starts get the good vibes going.

3. Playbook flexibility. When they are in control on the scoreboard, they can utilize the entire gameplan vs becoming one dimensional when playing from behind.

MM and Dak need to come out crisp and efficient. Too often we are out-coached to start games and look unprepared and unfocused.

This single negative pattern has a cascading trickle down effect for the whole team. Why can’t we dictate tempo, pace, and exploit weaknesses to gain an early advantage?

Dak gets blamed for inaccuracy, “deer in the headlights”, not being able to read a defense, failing to find the open guy, having an average arm etc… but IMO, much of his struggles boil down to this one problem:

Starting slow, sloppy, and sluggish. Fix it, and you fix a lot of what ails this team, and at least gives the team a chance to compete.
The offense will struggle as long as they’re 1 dimensional. It’s Football 101.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Prescott isn't playing poorly, the middle of his O line was straight trash, with essentially no running game.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Fix this 1 negative and reap a lit of positives​

giphy.gif

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Over his career, irregardless of his OC or HC, Dak and the offense have often been plagued by slow, sloppy starts.

He can find his rhythm at times, sometimes even mad-scrambling back into a comeback or near comeback, but over and over and over again— this offense is sluggish out of the gates.

Fix this problem, and a lot starts to change. Doesn’t make the team flawless by any stretch, but it will go a long way towards positioning them to play their brand of football.

1. The D plays better with a lead. This team is built to rush the passer, and can’t do that when teams can pound the rock at will. When the offense grabs the early lead, we win far more games than we lose.

2. Confidence. This team plays best with a swagger, and when they are battling for every yard and dropping passes, and committing drive killing penalties, their morale plummets. Fast, up tempo starts get the good vibes going.

3. Playbook flexibility. When they are in control on the scoreboard, they can utilize the entire gameplan vs becoming one dimensional when playing from behind.

MM and Dak need to come out crisp and efficient. Too often we are out-coached to start games and look unprepared and unfocused.

This single negative pattern has a cascading trickle down effect for the whole team. Why can’t we dictate tempo, pace, and exploit weaknesses to gain an early advantage?

Dak gets blamed for inaccuracy, “deer in the headlights”, not being able to read a defense, failing to find the open guy, having an average arm etc… but IMO, much of his struggles boil down to this one problem:

Starting slow, sloppy, and sluggish. Fix it, and you fix a lot of what ails this team, and at least gives the team a chance to compete.
I think its not just Dak, the whole offense is sloppy. they play 3 or 4 good plays and then shoot themselves in the foot at most critical times. like we were down 13-3 against ravens. had an excellent drive. got inside the 10, then a holding call, now its 1st and 19!!! and then a fumble inside the 10!!!

the offense is always o' so close, but makes small little mistakes. enought to turn TDs into FGs

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The premise of this thread is both valid and invalid. I say both because over the course of Dak's career it has been both. Early in his career, especially Dak's first three seasons, the Cowboys were known for taking the ball down the field and scoring touchdowns on the first drive. I think his rookie season they did it something like 11 or 12 of the 16 games. They did start slow in the playoffs but stormed back to take the lead only have the defense give it right back. The slow starts really only began to become a problem when Kellen Moore took over. I repeatedly lamented that Moore often used the first quarter to "feel the defense out" rather than to attack it. That's why we seldom saw any deep shots early in games even when we knew we had a matchup advantage outside. There were games where the opposing DB couldn't cover Amari Cooper in a phone booth and we took a quarter and a half to even throw him the ball. The thing is I can get behind feeling out a defense when there's a new DC or a bunch of new starters all over the place.. But coaches have all week to study film on guys and SHOULD know which matchups should favor them. For that reason there is no excuse not to attack the other team's weakness from the jump.

Praxit

Reaction score
..whatever offense they ran in the 4th qtr Vs Ravs. I'd run that.. lol.

Get some points up, then retort to whatever vanilla playcalling.

And keep TOP to your advantage.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Prescott isn't playing poorly, the middle of his O line was straight trash, with essentially no running game.
Really? what games have you been watching where dak isn't playing poorly?