Flashback to Day One: Jerry Jones Buys The Cowboys

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just a reminder the guy in charge today is mentally the same guy from 35 years ago and has been every day since.

Note: Tom Landry was such a humble man. Telling the media he would soon be forgotten. It is still worth a chuckle after all this time even though he did not mean it as a joke.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TBupSBx.gif

Jerry Jones is old. Gaffes, word usage, doodling, etc, do not make him senile.

Some people have seen various forms of dementia, up close, face-to-face, in family, friends, etc. It may be Jones' future but observations of dementia like senility will not automatically come from those who have witnessed and lived with it first-hand.

Reactions: CWR

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just a reminder the guy in charge today is mentally the same guy from 35 years ago and has been every day since.

Note: Tom Landry was such a humble man. Telling the media he would soon be forgotten. It is still worth a chuckle after all this time even though he did not mean it as a joke.

Landry was born and raised 30 minutes from my home....I was devastated....it is what it is. I'm still a Cowboys fan and refuse to crap on them....owners, coaches and players. Now, some fans are a different story! :muttley:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Wondering at what part of his career here did the ummmm ummmmmm uhhhhh licks lips,uhhhhh ummmmmm begin!????

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wondering at what part of his career here did the ummmm ummmmmm uhhhhh licks lips,uhhhhh ummmmmm begin!????
lol. You do not believe that speech pattern started after he purchased the franchise, do you?

shabazz

Reaction score
Just a reminder the guy in charge today is mentally the same guy from 35 years ago and has been
Mentally unable to adapt
Mentally unable to look inwardly
Mentally unable to delegate authority
Mentally unable to successfully negotiate contracts

He's like the person that peaked in high school and is living off the glory years....namely 1992 to 1995.

Since then....nada, zero, zilch

Jerryrage

Reaction score
Twelve current NFL teams have never won a Super Bowl. I'm just happy we have five. Thanks Jerry.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mentally unable to adapt
Mentally unable to look inwardly
Mentally unable to delegate authority
Mentally unable to successfully negotiate contracts

He's like the person that peaked in high school and is living off the glory years....namely 1992 to 1995.

Since then....nada, zero, zilch
Well, that too :muttley:but the OP video illustrates it is an incorrect assumption by certain members to declare Jones as senile. There are definitive signs of dementia.

To date, Jones has shown signs of normal aging that are not signs of dementia. Patterns and traits he demonstrated when he was younger are being naturally repeated in the present. The only difference between then and now is that age has slowed those natural patterns and traits.

Just a personal pet peeve. I have been in the company of patients with real variations of dementia often in my line of work, along with a family member. Dementia is not a joke. It is a condition that should not have labels cast casually.

Without a doubt, I do not care for Jones' managership of football operations. Not at all. I do not like him for that. However, I do not like it when he is said to be mentally incompetent when he is not. It cries indifference of a medical condition that inflicts terrible consequences for individuals, their family and those who know them. I lived through it. I would not wish it on another soul on this earth. Ever.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow I don’t want to sidetrack the thread are get banned but those 2 date are not comparable

I get maybe your not doing that just 2 important dates but the cowboys sale is not even in the same stratosphere
You have not sidetracked the thread. Introduce quarterbacks into it and that might do the trick, lol.

@Diehardblues might disagree but I doubt he would argue the differing historical impact of the two events. One was a devastatingly tragic day in U.S. history. The other was significant in a professional sports team's history.

Both are not equivalent to each other in terms of overall importance but they are not required to be for any individual. Human beings think differently but there are life circumstances where people think similarly. Such is the case with negative events. The death of a loved one. The cancellation of a beloved television show. A divorce. Getting stranded on a deserted highway. A deadly tornado striking a community. Being stuck in an airport for days due to weather. There can be countless examples.

None of those examples are equivalent. The negative gulf between losing a spouse and having a car breakdown in the middle of nowhere is massive, like the width and depth of the Pacific Ocean. Even so, individuals can mentally perceived and record negative circumstances, despite the real margin of importance between any of them.

Personally, I put 9/11 along side December 7th. I have made threads and posts on this site concerning both. November 17, 1985 means nothing to some Cowboys fans who were old enough at the time. understood the game of football and watched Dallas play that day.

There is zero comparison of importance between two of the most tragic days in American history and that fall day. However, I can remember what I was doing and where I was on that day over 38 years ago--when the Bears beat the Cowboys like a redheaded stepchild. It was one of the worst games I have witnessed in nearly 50 years following the team. And it was one of my worst days as a fan.

I think that is where Diehardblues is coming from. That said, I could be wrong, lol.

Flamma

Reaction score
You have obviously had a Wonderful Fantastic life then if that is one of the worst days in your lifetime! God bless!
I can't speak for him, but I was 22 at the time and did, up until that point, have an absolutely fantastic life. I couldn't have lived a better life short of someone telling me the Playboy Mansion was now mine. I hated that Landry was gone.

That said, I was somewhat excited by Jimmy Johnson coming in. A college coach that won a championship with a positive attitude gave me great hope. That was totally based out of ignorance. But it worked out.

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score
You have not sidetracked the thread. Introduce quarterbacks into it and that might do the trick, lol.

@Diehardblues might disagree but I doubt he would argue the differing historical impact of the two events. One was a devastatingly tragic day in U.S. history. The other was significant in a professional sports team's history.

Both are not equivalence to each other in terms of overall importance but they are not required to be for any individual. Human beings think differently but there are life circumstances where people think similarly. Such is the case with negative events. The death of a loved one. The cancellation of a beloved television show. A divorce. Getting stranded on a deserted highway. A deadly tornado striking a community. Being stuck in an airport for days due to weather. There can be countless examples.

None of those examples are equivalent. The negative gulf between losing a spouse and having a car breakdown in the middle of nowhere is massive, like the width and depth of the Pacific Ocean. Even so, individuals can mentally perceived and record negative circumstances, despite the real margin of importance between any of them.

Personally, I put 9/11 along side December 7th. I have made threads and posts on this site concerning both. November 17, 1985 means nothing to some Cowboys fans who were old enough at the time. understood the game of football and watched Dallas play that day.

There is zero comparison of importance between two of the most tragic days in American history and that fall day. However, I can remember what I was doing and where I was at that day over 38 years ago--when the Bears beat the Cowboys like a redheaded stepchild. It was one of the worst games I have witnessed in nearly 50 years following the team. And it was one of my worst days as a fan.

I think that is where Diehardblues is coming from. That said, I could be wrong, lol.
44-0 was an arse kicking for sure. @Diehardblues Greg accept my apologies.Mods accept my apologies. I am simply a patriot and ex military and the comparison of the 2 dates in MY mind should not take place. i took it the wrong the way and assumed something that wasnt necessarily the case.

An on topic note Tom Landry getting fired while seems like blasphame ended up being a positive for the cowboys.They needed a new direction. I do however think maybe they could have handled it a bit better but we now know many years later.Jerry dont handle things well.