Florida offers Stoops Job - Declined !

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
OU reportedly offers Stoops raise to counter Florida coaching offer

Daily Oklahoman
NORMAN - Oklahoma has offered Bob Stoops a raise, hoping to keep him from leaving for Florida, a television station reported Wednesday night.

Oklahoma City's KOCO-TV Channel 5 reported Stoops had been offered a job by Florida and said OU had countered the offer. The report did not list specific figures, though a source told The Oklahoman Florida's offer and OU's counter would be significantly higher than Stoops' current annual salary of $2.3 million.

A source said Stoops met with OU president David Boren on Wednesday but said the meeting's agenda might have concerned other subjects. Another source said Stoops and Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley might have spoken recently about the Gators' coaching vacancy.

Stephen Bentley, chairman of the OU Board of Regents, said Wednesday he knew nothing about any of it.

"That kind of upsets me if that's going on," said Bentley, publisher of the Lawton Constitution. "I hadn't heard that. ... There's nothing at all. The last time I talked with Bob, he was happy to be here. We're in the midst of the Big 12 championship and a national championship game, hopefully."

Stoops' current contract runs through 2010 and includes a $100,000 raise each year.

Stoops could not be reached Wednesday night. After practice -- before the TV station's report -- Stoops said he was not interested in any coaching vacancies.

"I'm not interested in any jobs," Stoops said. "For the third time and all these other ones coming up, I'm not interested in anything else. I'm very fortunate to have the job I have, period."

Several times in the last few weeks, Stoops said he was not interested in the Florida vacancy created when Ron Zook was fired Oct. 25, midway through his third season with the Gators. Zook had replaced Steve Spurrier in January 2002 -- but only after Stoops, a former Florida assistant, turned the job down.

But persistent rumors have circulated that Florida continues to pursue Stoops and that Stoops might be interested. Several Florida newspapers reported variations of the theme Wednesday.

Also, Stoops' name has popped up on candidate lists at Notre Dame and with the Cleveland Browns. Stoops turned down Notre Dame's overtures three years ago and turned down the Browns in January 2001.

Stoops did not address any specific rumors Wednesday but said he wasn't leaving OU.

"That's just not happening," Stoops said. "People have a lot of opinions about me that aren't true, that they don't know. Opinions are opinions. The bottom line is very few of them really know.

"But it surprises me, though, that more of them don't understand how fortunate and happy I am to be here at Oklahoma with such a great program, such great tradition, working with such great players and administration.

"To me, this is an elite program. And again, I'm fortunate to have this job."

I like how Stoops handles this. I think if Franchione would not have talked so much Coach Speak in the past when jumping around that people would be more trusting of Coaches being offered other head coaching positions.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
It's being bandied about on a Sooner site I frequent that OU has signed Stoops to an extension valued at $4 million a year!!! :eek:

royhitshard

Reaction score
Thank God! He is worth every penny! Bomar and Peterson will rule the next three years!

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Man he has it good 2.3 mil a year with a 100k raise for the next batch of years.

He does not have to work the grueling hours of the NFL and still banks big.

Noone

Reaction score
The word is he was offered a raise and he wants the money to go to his assistants to help keep them here and when they do leave so he can attract the ones he wants on staff.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.7 million.

royhitshard

Reaction score
If that is true, that would be the smartest thing he has ever done...besides going to OU.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
royhitshard said:
If that is true, that would be the smartest thing he has ever done...besides going to OU.

I don't know if that specific rumor is true... but Stoops has always lobbied hard for his assistants to be well-paid. So it wouldn't surprise me.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Looks like Meyer may be taking Florida per ESPN...

Surprising. Most of SLC had him pegged for ND...

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Don't be suprised if Florida offers him the job again in 3 years. This seems to be a trend now. And like with the first two offers, Gator fans will swear they heard the AD say Stoops is coming there.

This is getting old. NEXT

royhitshard

Reaction score
I dont think Stoops will leave OU until he has AT LEAST three NC. He doesnt want to be shown up by Bud and Barry......unless BP leaves Dallas. That might be the bait he would take if offered the job.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
royhitshard said:
I dont think Stoops will leave OU until he has AT LEAST three NC. He doesnt want to be shown up by Bud and Barry......unless BP leaves Dallas. That might be the bait he would take if offered the job.

Stoops is definitely ambitious but he isn't going to leave OU. OU is tied with Alabama for having the second most national championships(7) behind Notre Dame(8) so it's ridiculous to suggest that OU is an inferior program to Florida. Florida may have developed Gatorade but their tradition was basically noexistant until Spurrier arrived there. Oklahoma is a great place to coach. It's basically like coaching at Nebraska except you have much better weather. The fans worship you and there are no professional teams in Oklahoma to distract the fans just like Nebraska. I think the one position that truly intrigued Stoops was the Notre Dame position because of the prestige. But I think Stoops realized like Urban Meyer that Notre Dame has so many restrictions and they consistently play a competitive schedule every year. How often do you see Notre Dame play a team like North Texas or Troy St?

Stoops knows his best chance to win a national championship is by remaining at OU. I think Stoops will one day jump to the pros if he wins another title at Oklahoma and the Cowboys may be that position.

TLW47

Reaction score
I don't like OU but I'd sure be willing to see how Stoops would do with the Cowboys. He might be somebody that could rebuild our team and get us back to the top. Everybody raves about his coaching ability. I guess he could do it at the pro level.