FMN JJT Blog: Three Dallas Cowboys on the hot seat

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Three Dallas Cowboys on the hot seat

10:38 AM Wed, Aug 13, 2008 | Permalink
Jean-Jacques Taylor http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

This is a big game for a lot of players on the bubble because the third game is going to be the dress rehearsal. The starters will probably play a series or two into the third quarter, so there won't be much opportunity for others to shine.

And the fourth game is all about making sure none of your starters get hurt. Few players make the team based on what they do in the final game.

That said, here are three guys on the hot seat. They need to play well to make sure they're on the final roster.

Bobby Carpenter: Has practiced pretty well, but didn't play well against San Diego

Danny Amendola: There's really not a spot for him on the roster, but if he did some extra special things on punt returns or in the slot, the Cowboys might find space for him.

Richard Bartel: The quarterback has to show a lot more than he did in the first preseason game.

Who's on your list?

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (0) Leave comment | TrackBack (0) | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
This article was confusing, how many games have we played?

never mind I get it, the scrubs will get to play alot this game. Stupid wording

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Carp is not a starter. If he's not in danger of being cut, then how can he be on the "hot spot"? At worst, he's looking at another year of backup duty at LB and special teams play.

aikemirv

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2190515 said:
Three Dallas Cowboys on the hot seat

10:38 AM Wed, Aug 13, 2008 | Permalink
Jean-Jacques Taylor http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

This is a big game for a lot of players on the bubble because the third game is going to be the dress rehearsal. The starters will probably play a series or two into the third quarter, so there won't be much opportunity for others to shine.

And the fourth game is all about making sure none of your starters get hurt. Few players make the team based on what they do in the final game.

That said, here are three guys on the hot seat. They need to play well to make sure they're on the final roster.

Bobby Carpenter: Has practiced pretty well, but didn't play well against San Diego

Danny Amendola: There's really not a spot for him on the roster, but if he did some extra special things on punt returns or in the slot, the Cowboys might find space for him.

Richard Bartel: The quarterback has to show a lot more than he did in the first preseason game.

Who's on your list?

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (0) Leave comment | TrackBack (0) | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

Wade said Carp played well I believe.

Bartel was never in a "seat" to start with.

Amendola does not have to return punts or make catches in the slot. If he can cover punts and kicks he will get a spot on this team. We will go deep at CB and WR and S if they make plays on special teams. It does not really look like we keep more than 8 LB's, 7 DL, and 9 OL anyway so that leaves space for 6 CB/WR and 5 S

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
aikemirv;2190609 said:

Amendola does not have to return punts or make catches in the slot. If he can cover punts and kicks he will get a spot on this team. We will go deep at CB and WR and S if they make plays on special teams. It does not really look like we keep more than 8 LB's, 7 DL, and 9 OL anyway so that leaves space for 6 CB/WR and 5 S

I agree on all points.

I don't think the team currently has 10 offensive linemen worth keeping so there should be a roster spot there to carry 6 receivers or 5 safeties.

Bartel isn't worth a roster spot either so the team will likely carry only 2 quarterbacks again unless a solid candidate like McCown or Simms shakes loose.

If I had to put 3 on my list, they would be:

James Marten

Cory Procter

Erik Walden

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
aikemirv;2190609 said:

Did you see our coverage last week? and read he was on coverage teams....

aikemirv

Reaction score
Nors;2190665 said:

You know, why do you bother? If anyone thought you were an objective onlooker your opinion make carry a little weight, but we know you hate Amendola so ..........

aikemirv

Reaction score
Little Jr;2190666 said:
What? This is JJT answer to a Brad Johnson question on his latest Q&A:

TAYLOR: You had me going until you said Bartel looked better than Johnson. Give me a break. Bartel is not even just a guy, though he has improved from last season. Johnson will get some work with the first team in practice or during the game this weekend, so the Cowboys can figure out whether they need him to be the No. 2 or No. 3 quarterback.

The second-team line struggled and that played a role in Johnson looking bad. The Cowboys are trying to figure out how much of that is Johnson and how much of it is the second team.

If the 2nd team line played a role in how Johnson played maybe it did for Bartel as well. Johnson was 8-15 for 89 yds and 1 int. Bartel was 7-15 for 64 yds.

I'm not saying Bartel should be our #2. I just dont see how he can give Johnson the excuse of the OL play and not Bartel.

The thing with Bartel is that I heard he had this strong arm and all I saw were lollipops

fortdick

Reaction score
If necessary, Jerruh reactivates Jason Garrett to play QB.

He's still younger than Vinny, ain't he?

Little Jr

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2190515 said:
[BRichard Bartel: The quarterback has to show a lot more than he did in the first preseason game.

TAYLOR: You had me going until you said Bartel looked better than Johnson. Give me a break. Bartel is not even just a guy, though he has improved from last season. Johnson will get some work with the first team in practice or during the game this weekend, so the Cowboys can figure out whether they need him to be the No. 2 or No. 3 quarterback.

The second-team line struggled and that played a role in Johnson looking bad. The Cowboys are trying to figure out how much of that is Johnson and how much of it is the second team.

If the 2nd team line played a role in how Johnson played maybe it did for Bartel as well. Johnson was 8-15 for 89 yds and 1 int. Bartel was 7-15 for 64 yds.

I'm not saying Bartel should be our #2. I just dont see how he can give Johnson the excuse of the OL play and not Bartel.

Little Jr

Reaction score
aikemirv;2190682 said:
The thing with Bartel is that I heard he had this strong arm and all I saw were lollipops

True but I saw a lot of lollipops from Jonhson too. Like I said I'm not trying to say Bartel should be the #2 but if your gonna give Johnson the excuse of the OL give it to Bartel also. We should expect more out of our #2 than our #3 and we really didnt get agianst SD.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Nors;2190665 said:

Along with 10 other guys? Yeah, we all saw it.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Little Jr;2190692 said:

I have to agree somewhat with JJT. I though Johnson looked better than Bartel against San Diego, but I think both were victims of bad line play.

Little Jr

Reaction score
AtlCB;2190716 said:
I have to agree somewhat with JJT. I though Johnson looked better than Bartel against San Diego, but I think both were victims of bad line play.

That's cool but their #'s were similar. The #2 should look better than the #3 though. I also think SOME of it was the OL. I just dont see how he could put one on the hot seat and give the other on the excuse of the OL when they both played behing the same OL.

superpunk

Reaction score
fortdick;2190683 said:
If necessary, Jerruh reactivates Jason Garrett to play QB.

He's still younger than Vinny, ain't he?
Surprising factoid of the day...

The other day, as part of NFL Network's "As the Favre Turns" coverage, they were interviewing Jericho Cotchery to find out what it must be like to be on the same field Favre is on, and possibly even come into contact with him...anyhow - they were asking him about how hard Favre throws, apparently wanting him to pretend like Favre nearly breaks his hand after every pass, and Cotchery said something to the effect of "Yeah, I guess he throws as hard as anyone I've caught passes from since Testaverde."

Respect to Vinny's arm strength. It's not like he was a young man in New York.

AtlCB

Reaction score
Little Jr;2190731 said:
That's cool but their #'s were similar. The #2 should look better than the #3 though. I also think SOME of it was the OL. I just dont see how he could put one on the hot seat and give the other on the excuse of the OL when they both played behing the same OL.
The reason that Brad isn't on the hot seat is that he's the #2 QB and has experience as a starter. Bartel hasn't shown enough to win the #2 spot and hasn't done enough to convince the coaches that he may be a good backup in the future.

Little Jr

Reaction score
AtlCB;2190795 said:
The reason that Brad isn't on the hot seat is that he's the #2 QB and has experience as a starter. Bartel hasn't shown enough to win the #2 spot and hasn't done enough to convince the coaches that he may be a good backup in the future.

I see where you're coming from, I just look at it different. Since he is the #2 with experience I expect more from him. I'm not saying Jonhnson should be on the hot seat but I dont think Bartel should either. My main arguement is if he's gonna give Johnson the OL excuse Bartel should get the same bennefit of the dought. I understan Johnson is proven and Bartel isnt but Johnson isnt the QB he once was.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
aikemirv;2190609 said:

Don't you know journalists know more about football than Head Coaches?

Especially JJT, when he can get the name spelled right, and figure out how many years a player has actually been in the league, he's always spot on.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
CATCH17;2190930 said:
Rack.... Whats a good Madden Forum?

Madden sucks. I haven't played it in years.

But if you want a good madden forum, go here here.