Fonoti ever play LT?

Hiero

Reaction score
Toniu Fonoti from the chargers is a good player, ive seen him before and the chargers are trying to trade him. the guy is 6'4 350 a huge physical beast. Has he ever played LT? or do you guys think he could play LT? if he has any experience, id love to bring him in, maybe wont start against seahawks, but could work his way into the cards game, and then we have a bye week so that gives us more time.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Hiero said:
Toniu Fonoti from the chargers is a good player, ive seen him before and the chargers are trying to trade him. the guy is 6'4 350 a huge physical beast. Has he ever played LT? or do you guys think he could play LT? if he has any experience, id love to bring him in, maybe wont start against seahawks, but could work his way into the cards game, and then we have a bye week so that gives us more time.

Talent wise he is the best we could probably get in a trade...I see him staying at LG and moving Allen to LT if we make that trade.

Hiero

Reaction score
KingTuna said:
Talent wise he is the best we could probably get in a trade...I see him staying at LG and moving Allen to LT if we make that trade.
talentwise he is far superior to anything we could get. far far superior. the guy is a beast physically. I hope we get him. maybe he can take over at center lol.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't believe Allen could play LT. However, I am in favor of bringing Fonoti in. I could see him being a guy who could probably play either guard spot. Maybe we move slide in Fonoti at RG, move Rivera over to RT (I believe he has played there before) and have Pettiti play LT. That way, we can move Campbell over to the left side to help Pettiti and we aren't forced to expose one of our tackles in pass protection. Basically, it would be the same thing were doing now except were covering our left side rather then our right.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Just checked the Chargers message board from the chargers webiste..

Lot's of talk about trading Toniu Fonoti but no one knows anything there yet.

HDC

Reaction score
KingTuna said:

I don't think Allen has the foot quickness anymore to play OT. You can see how poorly he plays when he has to move (other than straight ahead). He no longer is reliable picking up stunts when he has to turn to one side or the other. If he can lock on, he's great, but I doubt he can handle speed rushers at tackle.

Hiero

Reaction score
Good info from the other board:I would love to get this guy regardless of whether or not he can even play LT. not sure if he can play center, but that would be ridiculous lol. He would kick both gurode and johnson out of the starting role. He could backup rivera or allen, both of whom are old.

Number: 77
Name: Toniu Fonoti
Position: Guard
College: Nebraska
Height: 6-4
Weight: 350
DOB: 11/26/81
Experience: 4th NFL Season
Acquired: Draft 2A - 2002
Hometown: Hauula, Hawaii

Had Drew Brees not had such a phenomenal year in 2004, people might very easily have mentioned the name Toniu Fonoti (TONE-u Foe-no-TEE) when discussing NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

Related:

Fonoti reports to camp
After sitting out the 2003 season with a foot injury, Toniu returned to the field in 2004 more determined than ever. He started every game and finished the season as an All-Pro. Toniu’s devastating blocks filled the highlight reels as he helped pave the way for the league’s sixth-ranked rushing offense. As a unit, the Chargers offensive line surrendered only 21 sacks in 2004, fourth-fewest in the NFL.
Toniu began his professional career wearing number 71, but last year he switched to 77, the number he wore as a collegian at Nebraska.

A huge man on the field, Fonoti is otherwise a gentle giant. He is a devout family man who enjoys spending time with his wife, U’ilani, and the couple’s daughter, Fetogi. Toniu wears a tattoo on his left arm bearing Fetogi’s name. His younger brother, Taualai, is a senior outside linebacker at Stanford.

TRANSACTION HISTORY: Selected by Chargers in second round (39) of NFL Draft, April 20, 2002.

2004: First-team All-Pro by SportsIllustrated.com... selected to USA Today’s All-Joe Team... named Chargers Alumni Player of Week along with fellow starting offensive linemen following Week 11 win at Kansas City... started Weeks 1-16 and Wild Card Playoff game at left guard.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Hiero said:
Number: 77
Name: Toniu Fonoti
Position: Guard
College: Nebraska
Height: 6-4
Weight: 350
DOB: 11/26/81
Experience: 4th NFL Season
Acquired: Draft 2A - 2002
Hometown: Hauula, Hawaii

Fonoti reports to camp
After sitting out the 2003 season with a foot injury, Toniu returned to the field in 2004 more determined than ever. He started every game and finished the season as an All-Pro. Toniu’s devastating blocks filled the highlight reels as he helped pave the way for the league’s sixth-ranked rushing offense. As a unit, the Chargers offensive line surrendered only 21 sacks in 2004, fourth-fewest in the NFL.
Toniu began his professional career wearing number 71, but last year he switched to 77, the number he wore as a collegian at Nebraska.

A huge man on the field, Fonoti is otherwise a gentle giant. He is a devout family man who enjoys spending time with his wife, U’ilani, and the couple’s daughter, Fetogi. Toniu wears a tattoo on his left arm bearing Fetogi’s name. His younger brother, Taualai, is a senior outside linebacker at Stanford.

TRANSACTION HISTORY: Selected by Chargers in second round (39) of NFL Draft, April 20, 2002.

2004: First-team All-Pro by SportsIllustrated.com... selected to USA Today’s All-Joe Team... named Chargers Alumni Player of Week along with fellow starting offensive linemen following Week 11 win at Kansas City... started Weeks 1-16 and Wild Card Playoff game at left guard.

SIGN THIS GUY TODAY!!! Make the trade!!

Hiero

Reaction score
This guy would be a huge boost to our run blocking which imo has been weak for most of the year. We should get this guyw hile the getting is good. LA and Rivera are both old, who knows when they could go down, we should have a starter there available. If he could somehow play LT he'd be a godsend.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Hiero said:
This guy would be a huge boost to our run blocking which imo has been weak for most of the year. We should get this guyw hile the getting is good. LA and Rivera are both old, who knows when they could go down, we should have a starter there available. If he could somehow play LT he'd be a godsend.

I agree! This is a move that is worth trading a draft pick for. We NEED talent and he would be SOLID...

Less than 4 hours left to make it happen...

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
KingTuna said:
I agree! This is a move that is worth trading a draft pick for. We NEED talent and he would be SOLID...

Less than 4 hours left to make it happen...

AND he's only 24................

Hiero

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
AND he's only 24................
MAKE IT HAPPEN BILL!!!!!!!!! he is the young samoan larry allen. you dont even have to give up much to get him.

Hiero

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
What is San Diego asking in return?
In this day and age, cant be much. 2nd day pick? No way theyre asking for much.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I guarantee the Chargers will ask more than he is worth for him. I doubt this happens.