Football 101: The Dallas Cowboys Uniforms Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4492523 said:
I was facepalming at Jerry, not your mistake. In case that's what you thought.
And the yep?

It doesn't matter. Tone.

CaptainMorgan

Reaction score
Man hands down the 94-95 double stars are the best looking unis we have had and its not even close.

Fmart322

Reaction score
Just once i'd like them to wear the home white with the road pants. That would look better then the mint green. I also loved when the cowboys had the number on the pants too. Even if they had the star logo there instead, like the saints have with their logo on their pants, that would be cool.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
In the 77-78 Dallas wore their numbers on the sleeve ( On the Bad luck blues )

I love those Jerseys

wick

Reaction score
For my money, the 1979-80 uniforms were the best. Numbers on the tops of the shoulders, the silver-blue pants, royal blue jerseys, and the white shoes. That look is money.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CaptainMorgan;4499911 said:
what year(s) was it that the helmet stripe was red white and blue?
It is shown and discussed in the OP. 1976.

Everson24

Reaction score
percyhoward;4499921 said:
1976, for the bi-centennial.

That was cool.

I absolutely hated that red stripe. I was worried at the time that they would make it permanent.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
Everson24;4500020 said:
I absolutely hated that red stripe. I was worried at the time that they would make it permanent.
I wish they would have. Looks cool to me.

casmith07;4500057 said:
So you hate America?
Sarcasm? I hope.

EJ Blue

Reaction score
in for later

I wonder at which point in this thread I'll see the first mention of 'green pants'.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
EJ Blue;4500233 said:
in for later

I wonder at which point in this thread I'll see the first mention of 'green pants'.
The OP, 1986.

andyhdz

Reaction score
great post but here are some notes.. :)

You didn't mention the biggest change about the '79 and '80 jerseys which were those strange white collars on the blue jerseys which have never been done before or since. Coincidentally in '79 and '80 Texas Stadium had their end zones that said Texas Stadium instead of Cowboys.

About the 50th anniversary patch the Cowboys didn't actually do anything wrong. Teams can either celebrate the anniversary which is tied to the year or the season. The Cowboys celebrated the 50th anniversary year which is correct 1960-2010. If they wanted to celebrate the 50th season in 2009 their patches would have notated that and hopefully not have said anniversary. Some teams screw that up and say anniversary when they really meant season.

I also agree with others that the '86-90 blue jerseys were the best.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
andyhdz;4502946 said:
great post but here are some notes.. :)

You didn't mention the biggest change about the '79 and '80 jerseys which were those strange white collars on the blue jerseys which have never been done before or since. Coincidentally in '79 and '80 Texas Stadium had their end zones that said Texas Stadium instead of Cowboys.

About the 50th anniversary patch the Cowboys didn't actually do anything wrong. Teams can either celebrate the anniversary which is tied to the year or the season. The Cowboys celebrated the 50th anniversary year which is correct 1960-2010. If they wanted to celebrate the 50th season in 2009 their patches would have notated that and hopefully not have said anniversary. Some teams screw that up and say anniversary when they really meant season.

I also agree with others that the '86-90 blue jerseys were the best.
You're new here, so unless you are a former member coming back with a new name you don't know this about me.

I hate that patch and can in no way, shape, or form support the celebration of it, and the implementation of it is so galling to me that I would risk jail to slap Jerry in the mouth over it.

If someone ever gives me a Cowboys related gift with that patch it will "accidentally" get lost, stolen, destroyed, or in some way obliterated. I wouldn't buy an authentic Ware jersey for a penny if it had that patch.

That is how much I hate it.

I deeply appreciate the reminder about those white collars. I will edit the post tonight.

fgoodwin

Reaction score
andyhdz;4502946 said:
Technically you're right, but once the Cowboys started down the path of celebrating anniversary seasons, not years, they should have stuck with it.

Consider this: the Cowboys and the eight original AFL teams all started play in the same year and the same season. Yet the Cowboys celebrated their tenth anniversary a year after the original AFL teams did. And consider this: the Cowboys and Vikings began play a year apart, yet they celebrated their tenth anniversary the same season. How do you square those two sets of facts? You can't because they don't make any sense.

Look I understand Jerry wanted to milk a third straight year of marketing out of the "Last year of Texas Stadium", "First Year of Cowboys Stadium", "50th Anniversary" hype. But I don't like that he broke with tradition.

Reactions: BAT
Status
Not open for further replies.