Football 101: The Talent Evaluation Process

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk;4422525 said:
The Giants Super Bowl win was after the 2007 season, but the Super Bowl itself was 2008.

Anyway, great response. How are you ever going to get better if you aren't judging yourself against your competition? It isn't just the NFL that does that. Any well run business is very aware of their competition.

However, I guess you could just continue to operate the same way and hope something changes. I guess you're happy and think this is just a string of bad luck, but the bottom line is that this team isn't good enough, hasn't been good enough and hasn't been as well run as the rest of the upper echelon teams in the league.
Uh, there is a great big difference between how fans measure and how teams measure. If you don't know that well I am sorry.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile;4422720 said:
Uh, there is a great big difference between how fans measure and how teams measure. If you don't know that well I am sorry.

So, Dallas is judging their recent efforts as successful? The more you tell me, the more worried I get.

This reeks of the arrogant "roster is set!"/special teams mentality that happened in 2009 and set the franchise back a couple of years.

However, I certainly appreciate your sympathetic tone when informing me that Dallas is actually doing pretty good. I'm sorry you don't know what a successful NFL franchise does and that Dallas doesn't seem interested in trying to become one.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk;4422770 said:
So, Dallas is judging their recent efforts as successful? The more you tell me, the more worried I get.

This reeks of the arrogant "roster is set!"/special teams mentality that happened in 2009 and set the franchise back a couple of years.

However, I certainly appreciate your sympathetic tone when informing me that Dallas is actually doing pretty good. I'm sorry you don't know what a successful NFL franchise does and that Dallas doesn't seem interested in trying to become one.
:laugh2:

Yeah, that is in line with what I said throughout this thread. Great job Chicken Little.

Of course you get more worried. Your fairy tales aren't coming true.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile;4422886 said:
:laugh2:

Yeah, that is in line with what I said throughout this thread. Great job Chicken Little.

Of course you get more worried. Your fairy tales aren't coming true.

What fairy tales? That the Dallas front office has proven they aren't on par with the rest of the league. That Dallas hasn't fielded a team good enough to win in quite some time.

It is pretty simple. 1 playoff win in 15 years. 8-8 record with one of the easier schedules in the league. This team isn't good enough and hasn't been for quite some time.

You can create your "Football 101" threads where you try to justify the Cowboys unique front office structure as being normal, but you still can't refute the bottom line. Dallas hasn't been good enough and it is largely due to the failure of the front office to bring in sufficient talent.

NoDak Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;4422719 said:
He said it didn't bother him and I took him at his word.

What else was he supposed to say to the press about the guy who is his boss and signs his checks?

Just how bad to you think the media storm would have been if he had said anything different? You can bet Garrett thought of this, and decided to give the PC answer to try and squelch as much of it as possible.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
NoDak Cowboy;4422949 said:
What else was he supposed to say to the press about the guy who is his boss and signs his checks?

Just how bad to you think the media storm would have been if he had said anything different? You can bet Garrett thought of this, and decided to give the PC answer to try and squelch as much of it as possible.
I love how so many football fans think guys have muzzles on. So much easier to think your own opinions are right than to simply think maybe it really wasn't that big of a deal.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Hostile;4422969 said:
I love how so many football fans think guys have muzzles on. So much easier to think your own opinions are right than to simply think maybe it really wasn't that big of a deal.

You know Hos, I was sitting here peacfully enjoying that picture in your signature...;)

Dodger12

Reaction score
Hostile;4422719 said:
He said it didn't bother him and I took him at his word.

Hostile;4422969 said:

First, I appreciate the response and I think you knew depending on how you answered it you were going to get some (some) flack but I won't go that route. But I will say this; much has been made about Hatcher's interview and the lack of leadership in the locker room. I don't think that's any revelation to JG which is why we're drafting players who were team captains and leaders on their respective college teams. I'm all for that and support JG in that respect.

But I can't believe Garrett doesn't see the negative perception Jerry gives when he visits his HC on the sidelines to discuss personnel and then makes a statement to the effect of "I didn't want Jason to make that decision alone" or something to that effect.

He never would have done it with Jimmy or BP. Yes, he did visit the sidelines with various guests including the Saudi Prince and that pissed Jimmy off but that's different then having a conference with your HC about personnel during the game. It undermines the HC and therein lies the problem. Garrett may very well be the savior and as good a HC as you say but we won't see what he really brings to the table in this environment with Jerry.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dodger12;4423044 said:
First, I appreciate the response and I think you knew depending on how you answered it you were going to get some (some) flack but I won't go that route. But I will say this; much has been made about Hatcher's interview and the lack of leadership in the locker room. I don't think that's any revelation to JG which is why we're drafting players who were team captains and leaders on their respective college teams. I'm all for that and support JG in that respect.

But I can't believe Garrett doesn't see the negative perception Jerry gives when he visits his HC on the sidelines to discuss personnel and then makes a statement to the effect of "I didn't want Jason to make that decision alone" or something to that effect.

He never would have done it with Jimmy or BP. Yes, he did visit the sidelines with various guests including the Saudi Prince and that pissed Jimmy off but that's different then having a conference with your HC about personnel during the game. It undermines the HC and therein lies the problem. Garrett may very well be the savior and as good a HC as you say but we won't see what he really brings to the table in this environment with Jerry.
Let me ask you a question and I want an honest response, not what you think all your fellow fans want to hear.

You are Jason Garrett. What aspect as an owner is more important to you?

A. An owner and/or GM who is actively engaged in giving you whatever pieces you want to mold the team you have to coach, but who interjects himself at times into your world?

or...

B. An owner and/or GM who stays out of your world, but low balls offers to Free Agents who could help your team, or fails to trade for a player you want, and tells you to win with what you have?

NoDak Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;4422969 said:

Who said anything about muzzles? And I didn't say my opinion was any more valid than anothers. No need to insert words that simply aren't there. But speaking of which, isn't that what you or anyone else does when they argue their opinion on any matter? It's pretty rare when somebody states their opinion on a subject, then doesn't comment again.

I only talked of trying to squelch a media storm with his answer. You don't think that is even remotely plausible?

Let me ask you this. If Garrett would have said he didn't like Jerry coming down giving his two cents during the game, what do you think the reaction would have been? From both Jerry and the media. Or even fan reaction, for that matter.

If your wife comes home with a hideous new hairstyle and asks you what you think, do you say it looks like a hot pile of crap and a waste of money, or reply with something a little more along the lines of keeping the peace?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hostile;4423055 said:

A. An owner and/or GM who is actively engaged in giving you whatever pieces you want to mold the team you have to coach, but who interjects himself at times into your world?

or...

B. An owner and/or GM who stays out of your world, but low balls offers to Free Agents who could help your team, or fails to trade for a player you want, and tells you to win with what you have?
Ha, this is all too typical. Love how you've set it up so it has to be either/or. Why can't it be an owner who writes checks but also doesn't come down to the sideline to tell his head coach to take the starting QB out of the game?

And Garrett told you himself in that Hansen interview that he's not always totally honest with the media. Of course, no coach is, which should be obvious.

NoDak Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;4423055 said:
Let me ask you a question and I want an honest response, not what you think all your fellow fans want to hear.

or...

Where is option C? An owner and/or GM that let's a coach do their job without constant meddling, and still does what they can to draft, aquire via trades/FA players that the coaches want? Guys like Ted Thompson and Tom Benson/Mickey Loomis fit into this option.

I vote option C.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4423103 said:
Ha, this is all too typical. Love how you've set it up so it has to be either/or. Why can't it be an owner who writes checks but also doesn't come down to the sideline to tell his head coach to take the starting QB out of the game?

And Garrett told you himself in that Hansen interview that he's not always totally honest with the media. Of course, no coach is, which should be obvious.
What is all too typical is that every move the team makes is wrong according to many of you. Yet when shown repeatedly how other teams operate in the exact same ways...excuses.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
NoDak Cowboy;4423107 said:
Where is option C? An owner and/or GM that let's a coach do their job without constant meddling, and still does what they can to draft, aquire via trades/FA players that the coaches want? Guys like Ted Thompson and Tom Benson/Mickey Loomis fit into this option.

I vote option C.
Tom Benson?

Dancing on the football field with a fruity little umbrella Tom Benson?

The Tom Benson who for years couldn't assemble a winning team with a road map, a St. Bernard, and GPS?

Tom Benson who drove Jim Finks crazy?

He is your litmus test?

Dodger12

Reaction score
Hostile;4423055 said:

or...

Of course I would pick "A" but why does it have to be either/or of those two scenarios? Everyone knows that Jerry is going to be involved and he will interject himself. That's not going to change any time soon; I get that.

But if JG is as good of a HC as we all hope he is, then even he can see the negative perception that a sideline conference gives to the players.

NoDak Cowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;4423118 said:
Tom Benson?

Dancing on the football field with a fruity little umbrella Tom Benson?

The Tom Benson who for years couldn't assemble a winning team with a road map, a St. Bernard, and GPS?

Tom Benson who drove Jim Finks crazy?

He is your litmus test?

Yeah.

That same Tom Benson that finally figured out he needed football people. That same Tom Benson who owns a team that is consistantly competing for the top prize.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4423124 said:
I never said that.
It's how you act CL. You guys sound more like Commanders fans than you do Cowboys fans and I'm really sorry if that stings and stinks, but it is the truth.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hostile;4423129 said:
It's how you act CL. You guys sound more like Commanders fans than you do Cowboys fans and I'm really sorry if that stings and stinks, but it is the truth.

Doesn't sting in the least, because it's obvious that disagreeing with the way Jerry runs things and the job he does doesn't make you a Commanders fan.