For all you PFF fans - Dallas has their 16th best roster

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Who ever the idiot was that rated D-law over Parsons needs to be slapped right now.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
PFF will lose some fans with that ranking.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Just another reminder

PFF final ranking had the Dallas Cowboys' offensive line #1 in all of the NFL last year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Philly has their 7th. Washington is basically tied with us at 17.

This creates quite the connundrum for those PFF fan boys on this board that love to use their rankings to show how awesome some of our players are and how fans are wrong to criticize some of our players. PFF thinks we have a pretty middling, average roster.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-roster...hs-weaknesses-x-factors-every-starting-lineup

PFF is used far more often by people trying to backup their claims that specific Cowboys players suck.

PFF player evaluations are worthless. I've posted the job listing and a resume from a guy that worked for PFF as an 'analyst'.
- Zero experience is required to 'grade film'. It's spelled out in the job posting for 'Analyst'.
- The resume showed that the guy's previous experience was selling paint at Sherwin-Williams.

Sydla

Reaction score
PFF is used far more often by people trying to backup their claims that specific Cowboys players suck.

PFF player evaluations are worthless. I've posted the job listing and a resume from a guy that worked for PFF as an 'analyst'.
- Zero experience is required to 'grade film'. It's spelled out in the job posting for 'Analyst'.
- The resume showed that the guy's previous experience was selling paint at Sherwin-Williams.

Bingo. PFF has it's value but people put way too much emphasis on them, especially as support for whatever position they have (and then conveniently ignore PFF when it tells them something they don't like).

And I quibble with this notion that PFF is used far more often to discredit Cowboys players. The reason I even posted this is that there was a thread last week where someone listed how awesome our roster was and used PFF ratings for proving that when the PFF grades were high for a player but then ignored it when the PFF grades were low (like for Diggs).

DanA

Reaction score
DanA----how if we kept those people we be right at top...but losing those guys and taking a step back is really moving forward.....not being a "hater" just an old man easily confused

Just my opinion but talent without chemistry and a strong locker room culture isn’t enough. On paper we were as talented as anybody, but guys like Collins, Gregory and Amari command big pay checks, are very good players, but aren’t the leaders you want.

Then there was the individual circumstances:
  • Behind Collins you have a model citizen in Steele making huge leaps forward.
  • We we’re always going to have to choose between Cooper and Gallup, we chose the cheaper better locker room presence which is a better fit considering Ceedee.
  • Gregory has immense talent but did we need to spend 14.5m per season on a RDE when we have Tank and Parsons? Armstrong at half the price has been 90% as productive and again a model citizen.
  • CW hasn’t been a negative at any stage off the field but stylistically is a bad fit for an inside zone running back (Zeke).

We also took out about 20% of the penalties we received with Williams (12), Collins (10), Gregory (7) and when you consider the games Collins and Gregory missed they are as bad as Connor Williams.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Who ever the idiot was that rated D-law over Parsons needs to be slapped right now.

Their grades are based on position. So Lawrence probably grades out as a better DE than Parsons does as a LB. Most of Parson's stellar plays last year came with him playing edge and not linebacker.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I mean the rankings make sense when you factor in their two starting DT's have 49 grades and Diggs has a 58.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-roster...hs-weaknesses-x-factors-every-starting-lineup

The Cowboys come in at 16th with PFF saying:

Biggest strength: Micah Parsons came into the league as a rookie last season and made a legitimate case for not just the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year but also Defensive Player of the Year. He was PFF's highest-graded off-ball linebacker and one of the most effective pass-rushers in the NFL when defensive coordinator Dan Quinn opted to use him as an edge rusher. The Randy Gregory loss in free agency is going to hurt Dallas up front, but few teams can send two pass-rushers as talented as Parsons and DeMarcus Lawrence after opposing quarterbacks. Parsons' ability to fill multiple roles at a high level depending on where he's needed most in a given situation provides a lot of flexibility to the Cowboys on defense.

Biggest weakness: As good as Lawrence has been up front for the Cowboys over the past five years, the rest of the defensive line has some concerns. Dallas' defensive tackles combined for a 33.1 PFF run-defense grade last season (30th in the NFL), and the only real addition to the group this offseason was fifth-round pick John Ridgeway. The Cowboys are relying on younger players such as Neville Gallimore and Osa Odighizuwa to take a step forward in 2022.

X factor for 2022: Cornerback Trevon Diggs became one of the most polarizing players in the NFL last season due to his boom-or-bust, risk-taking play style. Diggs' 1,016 passing yards allowed into his coverage in 2021 led the NFL, but he was still a valuable component of the Cowboys' better-than-expected defense because interceptions are such high-leverage plays, and Diggs came away with 11 of them. The question now becomes how replicable those results are this season.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

This creates quite the connundrum for those PFF fan boys on this board that love to use their rankings to show how awesome some of our players are and how fans are wrong to criticize some of our players. PFF thinks we have a pretty middling, average roster.

Guess @MountaineerCowboy missed this thread. But how can he miss a thread when he's on site so much?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Good, keep this comming it needs to be on every wall at the Star...its about time these guys see ..."You gotta earn it". The problem with this franchise is for some reason they think building the team wins the games when it just gets you into TC...Earn a higher ranking this season! Rank the Beagles #1 for all i care they can be paper champions all they want...

Edit: and dont sit back at midseason and pat yourself on the back..you showed how that works out last season.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
I dont mind Diggs giving up yards but hes gotta be ble to lock down recivers when needed. I agree the interior of our defense has been a huge weakness for a very very long time now. Why these imbeciles refuse to address it is beyond me.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I like the optimism. We truly do have a lot of unknowns going into this season. A best case scenario can happen. We're also not used to a good defense. If ours steps it up a notch, anything is possible.

There's really a lot to look forward to on defense. Will Tank step up? Will Osa and or Gallimore improve? I think they will. What about DT Hill? Will Joseph beat out Brown at CB? That alone would be great. Some other players to look at as well. If the Cowboys can step it up defensively it will take some of the pressure off of the offense. We're not used to that. These are a lot of things PFF can't really judge.

i hope i dont get dinked for responding a few weeks after this posted.....been gone....not sure where cut off is where that post is too old do not bring it back?....but so many unknowns....Jerry did not like Cooper or RT....could have kept them both and been much better for those are some of our wink links...we are hamstring or ankle or knee issue at receiver to be really screwed....cowboys have decided the youth will pick up the slack whether they have played or not.....we got the money to be much better established going into camp....it just hurts me deeply when we choose to press the "dumb" button...like 2018 we were a hot mess until we traded #1 round pick for Cooper who saved our season and we made it to divisional playoff game....Cooper not being vaccinated and collins lying and then trying to pay off health provider was last straw for both with Jerry......Jerry even being old allows his emotions to cloud honest evaluation and cowboys and fans pay

Flamma

Reaction score
i hope i dont get dinked for responding a few weeks after this posted.....been gone....not sure where cut off is where that post is too old do not bring it back?....but so many unknowns....Jerry did not like Cooper or RT....could have kept them both and been much better for those are some of our wink links...we are hamstring or ankle or knee issue at receiver to be really screwed....cowboys have decided the youth will pick up the slack whether they have played or not.....we got the money to be much better established going into camp....it just hurts me deeply when we choose to press the "dumb" button...like 2018 we were a hot mess until we traded #1 round pick for Cooper who saved our season and we made it to divisional playoff game....Cooper not being vaccinated and collins lying and then trying to pay off health provider was last straw for both with Jerry......Jerry even being old allows his emotions to cloud honest evaluation and cowboys and fans pay

That trade Jerry made back in 2018 is now a rare thing for him to do. They traded for Robert Quinn, but he came cheap. For most of the last decade the Cowboys don't do a lot in the off season or on draft day. They draft and fill holes using bargain FAs. Even in the draft they just sit there in the early rounds and accept whatever falls to them. That said, we still have an interesting season coming up. But it's mainly the defense I'll be watching. Our offense isn't going to go far if our D is only average or even above average.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That trade Jerry made back in 2018 is now a rare thing for him to do. They traded for Robert Quinn, but he came cheap. For most of the last decade the Cowboys don't do a lot in the off season or on draft day. They draft and fill holes using bargain FAs. Even in the draft they just sit there in the early rounds and accept whatever falls to them. That said, we still have an interesting season coming up. But it's mainly the defense I'll be watching. Our offense isn't going to go far if our D is only average or even above average.

our defense could be really special....we were worried about interior d lineman but we got guys putting on weight and muscle and then we got the Vanilla Gorilla i dont care if its 7th round....it was 7th round we got

dang it whats his name....under weight dude who terrorized interior until he got into fight with Jerry in lockerroom.....Vanilla Gorilla is my pet cat this camp season....love the mean streak...if he can take to being

coached and focus the meanness in proper play ( if its possible ) he may be diamond in the rough....i like our D line....yes maybe we could have gotten a guy during off season but i think with Quinn he has these

defensive players eating nails for breakfast already....i really think we wont miss Gregory although the way we lost him is pure managment incompetence...

...but we got several who can come in fresh that are good....i worry about our linebacking corps...why not get Barr???....we need good vet back up/starter....our backfield is fine no issues there

and for first time our safety group is real good....our corners will be real good if....FAT whoever can rise up and put his music career in wraps....and Goodell does not ding him for violating player policy...but like our

backfield and D-line pretty good and with Quinn the D-Whisperer....i believe better than our offense....if Kellen Moore can have us playing like we did first 7 games last year and yes Dak calf injury biggest reason

we went into tank....but our OC has to be better adjusting....i think Dak being healthy and so lean and mean this year could spell big trouble for opposing defenses?....i mean i hope so...like i hope every year

only to have my heart ripped out of my chest....i will be 64....cannot take too many more ....i think fans who have been fans 50 years should get free medical ...who am i kidding...they just want our money and fanship

they smoking stogies on super yacht and guzzling Johnnie Walker blue at 300 per liter...i heard liter per half if we are winning and double that if we are losing???....

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Sydia---i demans all PFF be given urinalysis....they just take it too far too often