For better or worse, Dallas obviously telegraphed their desire to take Tyler Smith

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
I know Mel Kiper brought this up before the draft, and it was even mentioned by Stephen A Smith on First Take prior to the draft (4:30 mark).

Sort of like Jerry showing their draft board, I'm trying to figure if this was intentional, they didn't care, maybe they were trying to send smoke screens trying to deceive other GMs because last year Micah Parsons came totally out of the blue. Who knows. But in this case, where there was smoke, there certainly was fire. Apparently they really liked this kid. Not sure why the need to make sure many (including the media) knew about that ahead of time, but whatever. I do believe TN wanted to jump ahead of Dallas and take him at #23, because TN obviously knew who Dallas was picking. IMO, not the best strategy.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
That is what i heard or read as well. The Cowboys were intent on getting Smith for some reason and so had tunnel vision to where any one else was not in the picture as long as Smith was there. Obviously, Smith was there and the fact Titans tried to jump over them to get him confirms there was knowledge around the league of the Cowboys' choice. I could care less, but I would think its not good for other teams to kind of know what you intend to do. Goes for other things the FO does with personnel.

Jarntt

Reaction score
You can say Micah came out of the blue, but the reality was EVERYONE knew we were taking one of the two CBs. They just both happened to go before we picked. So, same thing. WE telegraphed. This team can say they go BPA all they want, but they clearly draft for need unless bowled over with value like with Lamb.