For My 2,768th Post...

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
cobra;1136820 said:
What field do you want to practice in?

It looks like I'm going to start out in criminal law. Eventually -- when I get some experience -- I'd like to move into Family Law, Real Estate, or Estate Planning.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Congrats. May you be imbued with the wisdom of that great barrister, Lionel Hutz.

235-188-hutz.jpg

AbeBeta

Reaction score
peplaw06;1136706 said:
Now... who do I sue first??:eek:hboy:

Nice Job Pep -- now go sue the guy who compared you to Lionel Hutz.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
peplaw06;1136842 said:
It looks like I'm going to start out in criminal law. Eventually -- when I get some experience -- I'd like to move into Family Law, Real Estate, or Estate Planning.

Cool...do you have Sean Taylors phone number?

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
peplaw06;1136842 said:

Can't help you much with criminal law.

Family law is very lucrative, but it is highly stressful and depressing if you have the kind of personality that can't separate your work from your life. I know a lot of lawyers in good family law firms, so PM me some time if you need any help getting contacts.

Real estate and estate planning are low stress jobs, but I'd probably slit my wrists if I did either for a living. Droll and boring are adjectives that come to mind.

I do healthcare litigation here in Dallas myself.

Feel free to PM me some time if you want to talk about career paths.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
cobra;1136865 said:

Family law is very lucrative, but it is highly stressful and depressing if you have the kind of personality that can't separate your work from your life. I know a lot of lawyers in good family law firms, so PM me some time if you need any help getting contacts.

Real estate and estate planning are low stress jobs, but I'd probably slit my wrists if I did either for a living. Droll and boring are adjectives that come to mind.

I never knew you were an Attorney also...

Why is family law so stressful? I'm not a lawyer, so that's why I ask.

I would think criminal law would be stressful? Also, what would be more stressful, a prosecution laywer or defense lawyer?

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
5Stars;1136876 said:
Why is family law so stressful? I'm not a lawyer, so that's why I ask.

I would think criminal law would be stressful? Also, what would be more stressful, a prosecution laywer or defense lawyer?

Criminal law isn't stressful because its redundant. You go over and over and over drug arrests and DWIs that are all the same. About .05% of your practice involves interesting criminal cases. 99% of cases are plea bargained. So you handle the same stuff over and over and bargain the same stuff over and over. The redundancy leads to a situation where the criminal is depersonalized. It just becomes a repetitive exercise.

With regards to criminal law, I would say that defense lawyer is more stressful. Prosecution of criminal cases is easy. As I said, 99% of them will be plea bargained. So right off the top, you are getting a 99% rate of punishing the people who make it your desk. There isn't a lot of stress as a prosecution attorney because the system is set up for you to win. A defense lawyer is more stressful because you have someone's freedom riding on your work. There is the constant tension of trying to convince your client that he might be better off taking a plea bargain even though he might be innocent or you might have a defense at trial.

Family law is stressful because your practice focuses on breaking up families. That is a very depressing thing. And the thing about family law is that there is no winner: no matter the result, both sides are unhappy. Being around all that unhappiness and having things like custody of a child on your shoulders is a very depressing and stressful thing.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
cobra;1136891 said:
Family law is stressful because your practice focuses on breaking up families. That is a very depressing thing. And the thing about family law is that there is no winner: no matter the result, both sides are unhappy. Being around all that unhappiness and having things like custody of a child on your shoulders is a very depressing and stressful thing.

Very interesting...! I can understand what you are saying...

:eek:

But, would'nt Health Care litigation be stressful also? What does that entail?

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Well, just defend hospitals and doctors from all the times they been sued (and represent them the few times they want to sue anyone else). It is stressful to a degree, but not like family law. Usually in the cases that I handle, the correct result is going to occur. If someone has a legitimate claim, they get money to help ease their pain. If it isn't legitimate, then justice is done.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
peplaw06;1136706 said:
I thought I'd engage in a little shameless self-promotion.

Today the results of the July 2006 Texas Bar Exam were released, and yours truly is now officially licensed to practice law in the Great State of Texas!!

*whew*

It's still a little surreal. I keep going back to the website to double check and make sure my name is on the pass list...

Now... who do I sue first??:eek:hboy:

:D
Congratulations.

From what I understand Commanders fans have short man syndrome. Maybe you could start a class action lawsuit against all the major cities for building the sidewalks to close to their butts.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
cobra;1136928 said:
Well, just defend hospitals and doctors from all the times they been sued (and represent them the few times they want to sue anyone else). It is stressful to a degree, but not like family law. Usually in the cases that I handle, the correct result is going to occur. If someone has a legitimate claim, they get money to help ease their pain. If it isn't legitimate, then justice is done.

Wow, in just a few short posts about Attorneys, I have learned alot!

Attorneys get a bad rap, as do Police Officers...everyone hates them...until you need them!

Thanks, Cobra...you Salty *******! :D I will forever now read and understand why you post like you do...because everytime you post...there is usually nothing I can refute!

:starspin

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Hostile;1136939 said:
Congratulations.

From what I understand Commanders fans have short man syndrome. Maybe you could start a class action lawsuit against all the major cities for building the sidewalks to close to their butts.

:laugh2: :laugh2:

Oh, man!

Hostile, you are a bad mother(shut your mouth)!!!

:laugh1:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
5Stars;1136949 said:
Attorneys get a bad rap, as do Police Officers...everyone hates them...until you need them!

As with any field, a few bad eggs.

I grew up around them. Never met one I didn't like.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
cobra;1136865 said:

Thanks a lot... I may take you up on that.

I became interested in Family Law mainly because I've had quite a bit of experience with divorces, child support, etc. I figure I could relate pretty well to my clients, because of my family history. I've seen just about everything.

I was initially interested in Estate Planning, but recently learned about Texas' new laws regarding the thresholds for estate taxes. Apparently the first $2 million is tax free, so there's less demand for estate planning.

See I would think that healthcare litigation would also be stressful, as well as hard to separate work from your life. At least if your representing the doctors/hospitals... I'd think the plaintiffs would be pretty sympathetic figures, and I'd think it would be hard to try to keep them from getting compensation for whatever has happened to them. However, you're probably doing a lot of settlements anyway, just like everyone else.

To be honest, I really don't know where I'm going to end up. I may find that I want to do something I hadn't even thought of before. I'm not that set in what I want to do, you know... pretty flexible.