For the first time I must give Romo some criticism

playmakers

Reaction score
I never in the past have said anything negative about the guy because I am one of his biggest fans. Being neutral and having the best interest for the team at hand, the last couple games theres one thing that is starting to stick out for me and that is hes looking for Jason Witten way too much. He tried to force the ball to him a couple times vs Cincy and turned it over. As a fan watching the game Romo has changed a bit recently. I know Owens is doubled on every play and replays support that but so is Witten. Why hasnt there been any attempt to get Miles or Patrick the ball? Every week one of those players should catch 5 balls in this offense. I know they scored touchdowns but on most weeks thats there only catch. With all the talent Bennett has he should be a 2 catch a game guy as a back-up. It might be me but Im just not seeing the effort to develope anyone. Its either Romo/Witten or Romo/Witten or Romo/Witten or a throw to Owens. If were going to win a championship this cant be. I hope this is only temporary but over the last 2 weeks I noticed a change in Tony. Our offense even though we put up 24 and 31 points has not been the same. It has had many stagenate periods throughout the last two games. Theres just not alot of consistency. We have alot of talent here I just hope they dont waste it like they did with Fasano whose doing alot better than anyone else here thought including myself.

Just some food for thought. Do you think in the last two games hes tried to force the ball to Witten too much. Dont quote me but I think he had 9 catches vs Washington and 7 last week. Thats alot. opinions

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
playmakers;2315472 said:
I never in the past have said anything negative about the guy because I am one of his biggest fans. Being neutral and having the best interest for the team at hand, the last couple games theres one thing that is starting to stick out for me and that is hes looking for Jason Witten way too much. He tried to force the ball to him a couple times vs Cincy and turned it over. As a fan watching the game Romo has changed a bit recently. I know Owens is doubled on every play and replays support that but so is Witten. Why hasnt there been any attempt to get Miles or Patrick the ball? Every week one of those players should catch 5 balls in this offense. I know they scored touchdowns but on most weeks thats there only catch. With all the talent Bennett has he should be a 2 catch a game guy as a back-up. It might be me but Im just not seeing the effort to develope anyone. Its either Romo/Witten or Romo/Witten or Romo/Witten or a throw to Owens. If were going to win a championship this cant be. I hope this is only temporary but over the last 2 weeks I noticed a change in Tony. Our offense even though we put up 24 and 31 points has not been the same. It has had many stagenate periods throughout the last two games. Theres just not alot of consistency. We have alot of talent here I just hope they dont waste it like they did with Fasano whose doing alot better than anyone else here thought including myself.

Just some food for thought. Do you think in the last two games hes tried to force the ball to Witten too much. Dont quote me but I think he had 9 catches vs Washington and 7 last week. Thats alot. opinions

completely agree on that. During the streak of INTS/Games, most were meant for Witten. (at least from what i recall) the only game I remember it being thrown someone else way was the washingon game. Witten is great, i'd rely on him heavily also, but it seems the majority of the int's are because romos forcing them to him and T.O

As great as Witten is, Tony relies on him to often lately.

playmakers

Reaction score
Heres the line vs Cincy from NFL.com

Receiving REC YDS TD LG
J. Witten 8 79 1 29
T. Owens 2 67 1 57
P. Crayton 1 15 1 15
M. Barber 2 8 0 6
F. Jones 1 7 0 7

If you look at it its pretty pitful the Witten disperity. Lets hope it doesnt become a norm because we need parity with our recievers and TE's not domianice.

playmakers

Reaction score
Im not hating, as I said in the first line this is the first time I was thinking negativly. I would call it moreso constructive criticism. Witten and he are best friends and its starting to show imo on the field.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with critcism. All players have flaws and ups and downs.

Going over the top with it is where the problems lie with fans and this board lately.

Romo needs to be sharper and I for one think he will be. He is due to break out on someone.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
playmakers;2316533 said:
Witten and he are best friends and its starting to show imo on the field.

Has nothing to do with defenses..............

Psst..................I was the second gunman on the grassy knoll. ;)

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Muhast;2315475 said:
During the streak of INTS/Games, most were meant for Witten. (at least from what i recall) the only game I remember it being thrown someone else way was the washingon game.

This year, two of his interceptions were intended for Witten, two were intended for Austin, and one was intended for Owens.

In the final four games last year (including the playoffs), they were intended for Owens three times, Glenn twice and Crayton once.

So, of his 11 interceptions during the nine-game streak, only two were intended for Witten.

ddh33

Reaction score
I think the problem is that Witten is usually the first or second option on every play. Since TO is the other primary option, and he usually has two guys covering him, with a pass-rush getting closer to Tony, Romo fires it to Witten...

I'd like to see more guys involved in the passing game. I think it would help the team. At the same time, I think it's a testament to how good TO, Romo, and Witten are that those numbers are where they are.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Romo has sort of improved on his interceptions, but he still has plenty of room for continued improvement.

1 INT every 25.9 pass attempts

1 INT every 27.4 pass attempts

1 INT every 32.4 pass attempts

There never is a good time to throw an interception and Romo's timing seems very poor with two thrown into the end zone, the one at Philly being a momentum changer and the one against the Commanders being a contributing factor in the loss.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being critical of Romo and his turnovers. I think he is critical of himself because of them no matter what he tells the media. I like his approach to the media on this. I just hope he can continue to improve his game.

playmakers

Reaction score
Adam, I was just refering to the last two games and not the season. Correct me if Im wrong, I do beileve the Commanders dropped a wide open interception intended for Witten. I was just saying in the last two games he seems to be forcing the ball to Jason a bit too much. Do you agree that in the last two games even though we put up 55 points the offense has become stagnate at times for the first time all season?

playmakers

Reaction score
Im not talking about his ints, Im talking about him throwing to Witten too much and because of that other players can not develope.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Muhast;2315475 said:
completely agree on that. During the streak of INTS/Games, most were meant for Witten. (at least from what i recall) the only game I remember it being thrown someone else way was the washingon game. Witten is great, i'd rely on him heavily also, but it seems the majority of the int's are because romos forcing them to him and T.O

Honestly, as much as Austin stepped up against GB, and as effective as Crayton can be...can you blame Romo for looking T.O. or Witten's way? Those are his main targets.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
This goes back to last year, but I always though Romo was more effective when he ran out of the pocket more. I'm not talking scrambles, but planned roll outs.

landryscorner

Reaction score
Muhast;2315475 said:

Guys im not surprised on these PICKS that are being thrown Witten's way, check this out, on that last INT on Sundays game it was a Straight lateral shot, one thing about romo is his Height, He just doesnt have it, I think it's hurting him on his outs also, pick there to last week one thing for sure, Romo is struggling a bit

ANTHONYSCOTT

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2315510 said:
ROMO is our best qb ever......dont hate.....APPRECIATE!

I know you donttruley mean this, if so you must be as your name states (CRAZY).

alancdc

Reaction score
playmakers;2316579 said:
Adam, I was just refering to the last two games and not the season. Correct me if Im wrong, I do beileve the Commanders dropped a wide open interception intended for Witten. I was just saying in the last two games he seems to be forcing the ball to Jason a bit too much. Do you agree that in the last two games even though we put up 55 points the offense has become stagnate at times for the first time all season?

Agree with you. We have too many weapons to not be able to spread it around. NE did it, and we could to. When he is at his best he has, what, six different guys catching passes. It has not been that way lately. Go back to the Philly game, and it was spread around as best I can remember. One of the big plays of that game was a throw to Bennett.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
My three issues:

1) He's been a little erratic with the ball lately. Romo is a guy capable of hitting about 70 percent of his passes on a somewhat consistent basis. He certainly hasn't been pin-point accurate the last three games.

2) The turnovers must stop. We're getting away with them at the moment, but we won't in January. I'm confident he'll get out of this slump.

3) I'd like to see a little more leadership out of him than the old hanging head, alone on the sideline act. I've never understood why he's like that? It's my only criticism of his makeup.

Oh, and one last thing: I hope he remembers to just have fun. He's at his best when he's the grinning, giggly Romo. He seems to be getting somewhat defensive with the media and seems a little less joyous on the field at times. For his sake, he can't let the pressures and the potential annoyances of some of the media's questions get to him. I think that threatens his makeup as a fun-loving football player.