For those saying good game defense

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Anybody blaming the defense is looking to divert the attention away from the real reasons why they lost. Those reasons are in the offensive side of the ball.

Defense couldn't stop them getting first down after first down. If they had a competent QB, this wouldn't even have been close. Its why they possessed the ball for 60% of the game. Its why we got the ball back with 50 seconds to go with no time left on the clock on that final drive.

btcutter

Reaction score
I just don't understand why, when we look so good blitzing, we refuse to do it more. They ran that three-man line with Jaylon blitzing a few times and it was money every time. That even allows us to keep all our DBs in the game.

The greatest issue with this defense is how risk averse it is. It's the same issue that plagued Linehan/Garrett offenses.

The defensive scheme overall is sound especially against a QB who probably can't beat you with him arm. The idea is to MAKE him beat you and drive the length of the football field without giving up big plays. This typically works well and actually worked given that they only got 4 FGs.

The problem as many had stated is the offense. If the offense had been able to get ahead with a lead then it really forces Bridgewater and NO offense to play catch up ball which is what they don't want to do and that really plays well into our defensive scheme. Unfortunately, our O failed to hold up it's end last night and played right into Payton's game plan of keeping it low scoring and close. Exactly how you play it when you have an inferior team....shorten the game and low scoring.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I guess.

It was almost more than 12 pts.

Saints should have scored at least 2 TDs.

The biggest problem was the TOP. They had the ball 2-to-1 over us.
Exactly how much time should our offense need to score more than 12 points?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The defensive scheme overall is sound especially against a QB who probably can't beat you with him arm. The idea is to MAKE him beat you and drive the length of the football field without giving up big plays. This typically works well and actually worked given that they only got 4 FGs.

The problem as many had stated is the offense. If the offense had been able to get ahead with a lead then it really forces Bridgewater and NO offense to play catch up ball which is what they don't want to do and that really plays well into our defensive scheme. Unfortunately, our O failed to hold up it's end last night and played right into Payton's game plan of keeping it low scoring and close. Exactly how you play it when you have an inferior team....shorten the game and low scoring.

I just don't agree with it from a philosophical standpoint particularly given the players we have. We seem to have the players to run a more up-tempo attacking defense and force the action. I'd rather control my destiny than sit back and say, "bet you can't go 80 yards with me giving you four yards every play." I'd rather bank on my ability to make plays than the lack of the other teams ability to.

cowboyec

Reaction score
as a whole those 11 on defense were the only reason we were in it.
most of the positives from last night were on that side of the ball.

jimmy40

Reaction score
You really should shut down an offense that has a QB that will not throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield. The fact that the Saints beat Seattle and Dallas doing this is unbelievable.

Verdict

Reaction score
Our best defense last night came by the refs. IMO

Our defense never tightened up til the redzone and even then it relied on several holding calls on Saints online to kill their drives.

All i am saying is dline is weak at the point of attack and it showed. Need to be more aggressive and tighten up against the run. The confusion saints played and the ability of Kamara was killing our defense.

Spot on, but these guys will dent it.

tomsanders921

Reaction score
Defense wasn’t the reason for the loss but they need to make some stops between the 20’s more often. They are on the field too much.

Dallas needs more push upfront and Lawrence needs to play better. Thank goodness for Quinn!
I would be interested to see the defensive stats in regards to the amount of first downs given up when the offense faces a 1st and 20. I would be willing to bet we rank near the bottom ( in a bad way) in giving these up. Part of the reason we can't force turnovers is because there is almost always something easy we are willing to give the offense. Short throws are available all day long until the opposing team gets close to the goal line. What's the point of fast linebackers and good corners if we give up the easy stuff all day long

dwreck27

Reaction score
12 points total... that’s awful for an offense.

except when your offense can only must 10 of its own...

WAYYYY too much money and supposed star power to not even get at least 2 TDs a game MINIMUM

FTWayne

Reaction score
12 points giving up, if you're offense can not put up more than 12 it's pretty pedestrian.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
They didn't accidentally not give up a Touchdown..

The bend don't break is frustrating at times but the reality is they gave up 12 points on the road. Great game by them.

And they got multiple big time stops. The sack by Jaylon and one by Quinn were huge. Defense held up their end with the exception perhaps of being able to stop the run better at the end when they knew the Saints were gonna try running clock.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Why is this board either/or about everything? The offense was total crap. But the defense wasn't great - 36 minutes of possession isn't great.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

Our defense never tightened up til the redzone and even then it relied on several holding calls on Saints online to kill their drives.

All i am saying is dline is weak at the point of attack and it showed. Need to be more aggressive and tighten up against the run. The confusion saints played and the ability of Kamara was killing our defense.

You know what causes holding call right? The DL beating there man.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why is this board either/or about everything? The offense was total crap. But the defense wasn't great - 36 minutes of possession isn't great.
I wonder if the offense turning the ball over could've had anything to do with the ToP favoring NO?

fifaguy

Reaction score

Take away the 6 points off turnovers we held them to 6 points. Can't really ask for much better than that defensively.

I get what you're saying. They are still weak against the run. But I think this was LVE and Jaylon Smith's best game of the year so far.

Anytime you can hold the other team to field goals only and under 14 points, the team is in a great position to win the game. They just could not get it done on offensive.

TheHerd

Reaction score
I wonder if the offense turning the ball over could've had anything to do with the ToP favoring NO?
Yes, it all plays together. But the defense doesn't have to allow a long drive after every turnover. They could force a 3 and out. Or even get a turnover of their own.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes, it all plays together. But the defense doesn't have to allow a long drive after every turnover. They could force a 3 and out. Or even get a turnover of their own.
They did get one. I get what you're saying, I really do...but how much ToP do we need to score more than 12 points? Also, if our offense had put any pressure on NO to feel the need to hurry up and score, they probably would've tried some longer passes, or forced some, helping our defense to create a turnover or punt.