For those who've said it will never happen

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
There was also a segment on ESPN last night on what he said. It's simply embarrassing. With the combination of our glorious past and circus like present -- it's really easy to see how people hate us so much.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love clicking a link to a site that you have to become a member to before you can read the article.

Not ripping on the OP...just talking in general as it has happened many times and not just on this site.

I don't mind clicking on a link to read the full story at all...just don't feel like clicking on it to find out I have to sign up for the site in order to read it. Waste of my time.

tantrix1969

Reaction score
Hate to break it to you, but it's pretty obvious he isn't controlling as much as he used to.

original

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Can you post the article? I don't have access and I'd like to read it. Thanks!

Cowboys' mediocrity a ratings winner
784x2048.jpg

] Jamie Squire / Getty Images

Jerry Jones (right), with CBS CEO Les Moonves, smiles from AT&T Stadium, known as Jerry World. Cowboys fans lately haven't had a lot to smile about.

By Roy Bragg

April 10, 2014 | Updated: April 10, 2014 11:29pm

SAN ANTONIO — I speak for all Dallas Cowboys fans when I say “Jerry Jones, you idiot. You are killing me. Kill ... ing ... me!”

Jones confirmed this harsh reality in a Wednesday news conference announcing the 50th Academy of Country Music Awards would be conducted in Jerry World next year. Which, if you think about it, is fitting since the state of the Cowboys is a lot like a depressing George Jones song.

“As you know, the Cowboys have not gone to the playoffs in several years. We have not gone, yet we're the most popular TV show there is on television. We lead all teams in TV ratings. ... 24 of the last top 25 shows were NFL games, and any time your Cowboys play they're up there at the top and leading. Now what causes that? What causes that is creating some aura, creating some excitement.”

Last edited by a moderator:

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
Thanks, AmberBeer. That was embarrassing to read.

I don't think I will ever be able to support any other team, but I don't know how long I can continue to support this charade. I will always be a fan of the teams from the 1970s and the 1990s, however.

Last edited:

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know even I complained about the link.

However do NOT post full articles.

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

Reaction score
Hate to break it to you, but it's pretty obvious he isn't controlling as much as he used to.

He still picks assistant head coaches before he picks a HC and in player matters easily lets them bypass the HC for him.

But since he's not as controling, the Cowboys are a good organization again - right?

StevenOtero

Reaction score
He still picks assistant head coaches before he picks a HC and in player matters easily lets them bypass the HC for him.

But since he's not as controling, the Cowboys are a good organization again - right?

It would seem that the Cowboys are on their way to becoming a responsible organization. 'Good' remains to be seen.

No doubt, when it's all said and done this is Jerry's circus. The past 3 drafts have given me a little bit of hope.

boysfan69

Reaction score
Jerry Jones is a joke as a GM but he is one hell of and Owner. just not a football GM

DFWJC

Reaction score
The more coverage like this out there about Jerry's destruction of the football Cowboys, the sooner he'll step away. Here's more of what will ultimately bring Jerry down.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/c...wboys-mediocrity-a-ratings-winner-5394073.php

I think the Cowboy draft process is now set up like this.

• Scouts put together a preliminary board based on scheme specific requirements provided by the staff
  • The coaches and scouts tweak those results...and at this stage Jerry may have some input.
  • The final board is made with some reasonable flexibility based on need and value. Again, I'm sure Jerry has at least some say if he wishes.
  • On draft day, aside from trades, they go by the board with some minor flexibility. Ex. if they have 3-4 players all ranked the same, then they have flexibility on who to pick.
  • If they get to a pick and they have 3-4 players all ranked about the same and a debate ensues, THEN Jerry, if needed, can make the final call. But lots of voices may be heard.

I don't see, for example, the Cowboys scouts and coaches having a board in place and then Jerry overriding the board by taking a player they have ranked way below where they are picking. He could override the board and trade out of the pick, but that is different.

Take Manziel for example. If the organization builds a draft board with Manziel at 18, it does not matter if Jerry ranks him much higher than that unless he falls to 16 and they have several players ranked above Manziel but in the same tier. Only then would Jerry's final say take over.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think the Cowboy draft process is now set up like this.

• Scouts put together a preliminary board based on scheme specific requirements provided by the staff
  • The coaches and scouts tweak those results...and at this stage Jerry may have some input.
  • The final board is made with some reasonable flexibility based on need and value. Again, I'm sure Jerry has at least some say if he wishes.
  • On draft day, aside from trades, they go by the board with some minor flexibility. Ex. if they have 3-4 players all ranked the same, then they have flexibility on who to pick.
  • If they get to a pick and they have 3-4 players all ranked about the same and a debate ensues, THEN Jerry, if needed, can make the final call. But lots of voices may be heard.

I don't see, for example, the Cowboys scouts and coaches having a board in place and then Jerry overriding the board by taking a player they have ranked way below where they are picking. He could override the board and trade out of the pick, but that is different.

Take Manziel for example. If the organization builds a draft board with Manziel at 18, it does not matter if Jerry ranks him much higher than that unless he falls to 16 and they have several players ranked above Manziel but in the same tier. Only then would Jerry's final say take over.

I'd like to hear how the Escobar pick went down.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'd like to hear how the Escobar pick went down.

Especially given that he's on offense. We know that last year the scouts and coaches on the defense were not fully on the same page (see Floyd). They claim to have fully cleaned that up now.
I didn't understand the Escobar pick then and still don't fully...though I suspect he'll end up being a good player.
But I don't think they reached for him as far as their board went.