For you NHL fans

punit328

Reaction score
For those of you that follow hockey, which franchise closely resembles the Cowboys and why? Is there a team that is always in the spotlight and the hockey media loves to hate?

Is there a hockey owner that resembles Jerry?

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Being a Canuck but not a fan of the team, the Leafs are the Cowboys version in the NHL. No real face of ownership with the team any longer, but bumbling around and poor decisions have haunted this team for decades. But, no matter how bad they are or irritating they are to watch, the faithful pack the joint and buy the merch as if it were free....

John813

Reaction score
Toronto, easily.
Huge fanbase, playoff woes, star players that shrink in the playoffs, etc...

HabsCowboysOwn

Reaction score
Toronto is a good answer but my hometown team the Montreal Canadiens also fit the bill.

- Most storied franchise in the league (24 Stanley Cups)
- Rich team history with tons of records, legendary players and coaches
- Biggest fanbase with fans all over the world which also means tons of haters
- Haven't won a championship since the early 90's
- Owner has a tendency to stick with horrible coaches/GMs for far too long
- Intense sports media that scrutinize and overanalyze everything related to the team
- Players are under a lot of pressure to perform and some don't want to come here because of that -- they say being the Habs goaltender is the NHL equivalent of being the Cowboys QB, Yankees pitcher, etc.

I could go on and on but you get the gist. Things are starting to look better at least, for the most part the team has been managed by incompetent clown GMs for the last 30 years but the new guy seems better and has a clear plan to rebuild properly. They still made a few conference finals in the 2010's and a fluke SC finals appearance a few years ago though so I guess that's better than the Cowboys.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Good stuff. Agree with both choices.

I don’t think there is an NBA version. Both Lakers and Celtics have managed to come back although for a while there, the Celtics looked like the current Cowboys. 1990s Chicago Bulls remind me of the 1990s Cowboys, mainly the swagger, timeline and dynasty declines. But not the franchise as a whole. Their GM Jerry Krause was just as bullheaded as Jerry Jones and also led to his dynasty’s collapse.

For baseball, Steinbrenner of the 80’s was very Jerry Jones. Quick dynasty launch of an icon team and then years of mediocrity and Coach feuds. He redeemed in the end though with the Jeter dynasties. Hopefully Jerry does the same. Hey, didn’t Steinbrenner give operations to his sons? ;)