Forbes Chimes in on NFL's CBA War

AtlCB

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Those gasoline workers aren't the product. They help put the actual product out there, but they are not the product. Football players are the "product." We essentially buy them, through tickets to come watch them, or merchandise sales, etc. I don't know about you,but I've never paid 120 bucks to watch some stiff make gasoline, LOL.
The team is the actual product. Fans are going to watch the Cowboys with Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Quincy Carter, or Drew Bledsoe playing quarterback. The product is and has always been the Cowboys.

felix360

Reaction score
Eddie said:
Considering I make a fraction of what these guys make, work 14 hour days, with a family to feed, and a newborn to take care of ... I have less than $1000 in the bank right now.

I'm one check away from being on the streets.

Sorry if I don't have any sympathy for Upshaw and these greedy azzed millionnaires.

same here buddy , i think most of us are a paycheck away from being on the streets, i dont have any sympathy

slick325

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Those gasoline workers aren't the product. They help put the actual product out there, but they are not the product. Football players are the "product." We essentially buy them, through tickets to come watch them, or merchandise sales, etc. I don't know about you,but I've never paid 120 bucks to watch some stiff make gasoline, LOL.

I don't know why people always try to compare their salaries to NFL salaries. Sure, we'd all love to be paid millions to play a game we love, but we're not skilled enough. Most people are paid based on a few things.

(a) Skill level
(b) How easily replacable you are
(c) demand for your services
(d) Difficulty of job.
(e) Profits generated by worker

NFL players are highly skilled, extremely hard to replace, in huge demand, have a difficult job, and generate enormous profits. They in turn get paid very well. It's pretty simple economic stuff.

Best post I have read in a long while.

conner01

Reaction score
i think we are missing the real point here. the players and owners are not the real problem.the real problem is small market teams want big market teams to give them more money or cap what they can pay out in bonus money. some of the so called small market teams do a poor job with the product they put on the field, and an even poorer job of creating local revenue. why should a team lime dallas have to give money to a team who is poorly run and can make money?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
conner01 said:
i think we are missing the real point here. the players and owners are not the real problem.the real problem is small market teams want big market teams to give them more money or cap what they can pay out in bonus money. some of the so called small market teams do a poor job with the product they put on the field, and an even poorer job of creating local revenue. why should a team lime dallas have to give money to a team who is poorly run and can make money?

I also find it interesting that many of these (so called) small market teams are older teams that have basically paid off there franchise investments. They don't face the same cost of doing business that many of the big market teams or expansion teams do. There stadiums have been paid for. Basically, they may be making less money because of there market size but they also have much less overhead because they've been opporating in the black for many many years. It is not as if they have been struggling to get by for all these years. The TV deals have insured them the financial profitablity that allows them to make money. It is entirely possible that although they may make less over all money then a Houston or a Dallas or a Washington, per say, they may actually be more profitable because of there debt to income ratio. Wouldn't that be ironic?