Forged In Fire

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Does anybody else here watch Forged In Fire? I've been hooked on this show since the first season. It's a blacksmithing reality competition, doesn't sound exciting, but it's really quite fascinating, entertaining and addictive to watch. It's unique in today's TV in that there is no scripted drama, the contestants are usually willing to help one another and the judges are respectful and encouraging, they don't talk trash or condescend the blacksmiths. It's a pretty awesome show.

It starts with 4 blacksmiths and they are required to forge a knife within certain parameters, materials or procedures in 3 hours. The 4 blades are judged and the best 3 move to the next round where handles are placed and finish work is done, again within 3 hours. Those 3 are then subjected to a couple tests, sometimes pretty brutal, things you normally wouldn't subject a blade too. The top 2 blades are selected and the 2 blacksmiths get to go to their home forge and have 5 days to complete a chosen weapon from history.

The final two weapons are then subjected to some grueling tests to test their quality and effectiveness and the winner takes home $10k. It's cool, it's all based on the quality of that particular weapon, not on personality, looks, experience, or prior smithing notoriety. I root for certain people, but can't think of a time I ever disagreed with their choice of the winner.

The testing phases are the best part, they are chopping, slicing, puncturing all types of stuff. They're chopping blocks of ice, wild boar carcass, gel torsos, firing .45 caliber bullets at blade edges, highway barricades, all kinds of stuff. It really is kinda amazing how much abuse these blades can go through and still hold up.

I didn't know much about forging before, but now I find myself saying stuff like there's no way that steel is hot enough, he's just hammering away and gonna cause stress fractures, or c'mon you gotta clean that steel better before you forge weld that or you're gonna have all kinds of delam problems.

Of course, everyone waits for Doug's test to say "It Will Keel"

giphy.gif

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Don't mess with Doug. Yeah, I've watched a few shows. I like the almost "Mystery Science Theater 3000" quality commentary they give in their peanut gallery as the contestants are working hard against the clock.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I also like Face Off. Much the same in atmosphere among judges and contestants, but much more creative.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Don't mess with Doug. Yeah, I've watched a few shows. I like the almost "Mystery Science Theater 3000" quality commentary they give in their peanut gallery as the contestants are working hard against the clock.

Yeah, the commentary during the challenges can get pretty corny, but for whatever reason I laugh every time. "Boy, he's using a lot of flux, I hope he doesn't flux it up." Here I am laughing at flux jokes and don't even get me started about tang references........ :lmao:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
We got a bonus episode of FIF last night in honor of Memorial Day. They had four military vet blacksmiths and did a military themed show and it was pretty good. It did suck that one poor guy had to be carried out on a stretcher during the initial challenge, hope he was alright. The final challenge was a Naval Cutlass and both did a good job. Doug has finally healed enough to do the "kill test" and he looked like enjoyed it, maybe a little too much.....lol

They finally brought back the bullet proof test, where they shoot a .45 pistol at the blade edge to see if it will split a bullet for the strength test. They normally use a .45 with a laser sight in a clamp to fire the bullet, but major props to Wil Willis. He fired the .45 freehand, just using the stock open sights at the swords' edge, impressive bit of shooting.

We get their usual Tues. episode tonight, they'll be forging a Horseman's Axe, sounds cool.