Forget ET - Let’s trade for AD

robbieruff

Reaction score
Aaron Donald that is...whatever the cost (2 first rounders and a player or two?)...he gives us a championship level D the second he comes in at the 3-tech. Big bonus with low salary this year and then it’s smooth sailing cap wise after this season.

Maybe he even motivates D Irvin to get his stuff together to pair them up...and what wud D Law and the other DE (Gregory?) be able to do with offenses worried about AD and his triple teams???

MAKE IT HAPPEN FO!!!!

Beats_By_Zeke

Reaction score
Aaron Donald that is...whatever the cost (2 first rounders and a player or two?)...he gives us a championship level D the second he comes in at the 3-tech. Big bonus with low salary this year and then it’s smooth sailing cap wise after this season.

Maybe he even motivates D Irvin to get his ish together to pair them up...and what wud D Law and the other DE (Gregory?) be able to do with offenses worried about AD and his triple teams???

MAKE IT HAPPEN FO!!!!
I rather trade for TOM Brady

robbieruff

Reaction score
Why would the Rams do that?
Cuz they got a bad relationship...and they don’t want to pay the man!!! We need to go get him while they’d remotely consider it.

Two years in a row of holdouts tells me they’d be open to it.

Hardline

Reaction score
I just love these hypothetical trade threads.
I wish the rest of the league was as stupid as some of you think.

robbieruff

Reaction score
I just love these hypothetical trade threads.
I wish the rest of the league was as stupid as some of you think.
I normally have your reaction but think about it...why is it so far fetched given the building acrimony between AD and the Rams? It’s not at ET-Seahawks level but two straight years of holding out means there cud be a shot, in my view. But it wud take a mammoth offer

joseephuss

Reaction score
He isn't worth two 1st rounders and a player or two. That is a steep price for one single player.

robbieruff

Reaction score
He isn't worth two 1st rounders and a player or two. That is a steep price for one single player.
Brother...yes he is...he’s a DPOY level talent for years to come...ur telling me that u wudnt give up Taco and VDE with a throw in guy where we have lots of depth for AD if this cudve happened a couple of years ago?

I would’ve given up this picks in a heart beat for a likely HOF-er and one of the best DL in the game. Think about our 3-tech position (one of the keys to Rod’s D we always hear) and the revolving door it’s been. How’s that worked out for us in stopping the run and get consistent pressure on the QB these past few seasons?

jrumann59

Reaction score
Team is not 1 player away to throw away multiple 1st rounders and two high draft picks.

Think about how much the team was set back by the Joey Galloway trade, or the RW11 Trade.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
"he gives us a championship level D the second he comes in at the 3-tech.."

Team is not 1 player away to throw away multiple 1st rounders and two high draft picks.

Think about how much the team was set back by the Joey Galloway trade, or the RW11 Trade.

3 tech isn't as big a problem position for the Cowboys as the 1 tech either....

jrumann59

Reaction score
he gives us a championship level D the second he comes in at the 3-tech.

So with lets say Dak becomes the franchise QB most envision. Now you need to draft a replacement for Lee or at least a guy to replace the guy that replaces Lee. You might need to draft DE because Gregory goes on ganga binge and fails another drug test, or T. Smith keeps having back/neck problems and you need a LT, or you need to draft Zeke's replacement. So those two 1st would address some of the hypotheticals. Now trade away LVE and Taco now you are thin at DE and LBer. That means someone like Ealy or Tapper make the team at DE, that means Wilson is starter and the backups are just as bad as last years.

So now you have stud 3T, revolving door at LBer because Lee will get hurt, and T Craw playing RDE some more.

JustChip

Reaction score
Brother...yes he is...he’s a DPOY level talent for years to come...ur telling me that u wudnt give up Taco and VDE with a throw in guy where we have lots of depth for AD if this cudve happened a couple of years ago?

I would’ve given up this picks in a heart beat for a likely HOF-er and one of the best DL in the game. Think about our 3-tech position (one of the keys to Rod’s D we always hear) and the revolving door it’s been. How’s that worked out for us in stopping the run and get consistent pressure on the QB these past few seasons?
That sounds nice, but you're making the case in hindsight. First and foremost, you're making it with the knowledge of what AD has done in the last 2 years, not the least of which is that he's been healthy. But making the deal today, you have to weigh the potential that AD could have an season lost injury, or worse, a career ending injury. That doesn't mean you don't make a deal, but it tempers what is sensible from a cost perspective and 2 firsts plus a high-ranking player is just too much.

Will Rogers had a great quote about stock investing that applies here - "the secret to buying a stock is pick the one that's going up, if it ain't going up, don't buy it" (or thereabouts). In other words, hindsight makes all decisions easy.

jay94

Reaction score
He is likely a top ten player in the league, and a top 5 non qb, Rams would never trade him, at least ET is a reality. You can't compare Roy Williams to him, he is a transcendent talent to this point in his career, Roy Williams was never that.

robbieruff

Reaction score
OK
So with lets say Dak becomes the franchise QB most envision. Now you need to draft a replacement for Lee or at least a guy to replace the guy that replaces Lee. You might need to draft DE because Gregory goes on ganga binge and fails another drug test, or T. Smith keeps having back/neck problems and you need a LT, or you need to draft Zeke's replacement. So those two 1st would address some of the hypotheticals. Now trade away LVE and Taco now you are thin at DE and LBer. That means someone like Ealy or Tapper make the team at DE, that means Wilson is starter and the backups are just as bad as last years.

So now you have stud 3T, revolving door at LBer because Lee will get hurt, and T Craw playing RDE some more.
OK Mr. Glass half empty... ;)

This is all predicated on how those two pan out (Taco and LVE)...if we had traded those picks away prior to them actually becoming those players, I am sure other roster build adjustments would've been made to avoid the death spiral you're describing (completely ignoring the revolving door, BTW, we've ALREADY HAD at the 3-tech, which is supposedly THE MOST IMPORTANT (see HOFer Warren Sapp, who wasn't as good as AD in my opinion - and Sapp was AWESOME!) position in Rod's scheme...but that issue doesn't seem to matter in your analysis...

with a generational talent at DT you can get away with some fall off in other positions (look at the Dline that was paired with Bob Lilly...some of the good, with Andrie being the best and Pugh a close 3rd, but none of them all-time great level)...at yet that Dline was the first installment of Doomsday (and yes, the other talent on that D, LB corp and Mel Renfro, etc., isn't lost on me). AD is that type of talent...he would be transformative on this D.

robbieruff

Reaction score
That sounds nice, but you're making the case in hindsight. First and foremost, you're making it with the knowledge of what AD has done in the last 2 years, not the least of which is that he's been healthy. But making the deal today, you have to weigh the potential that AD could have an season lost injury, or worse, a career ending injury. That doesn't mean you don't make a deal, but it tempers what is sensible from a cost perspective and 2 firsts plus a high-ranking player is just too much.

Will Rogers had a great quote about stock investing that applies here - "the secret to buying a stock is pick the one that's going up, if it ain't going up, don't buy it" (or thereabouts). In other words, hindsight makes all decisions easy.
One of my fave quotes. Been in the investment game for a while...25+ years...and use it often, only second to Buffet's: "give your children enough to do anything, but not so much that they do nothing" :)

And yes, of course, using hindsight just as you are now employing what if's about the future (injury, etc.), which is certainly part of risk assessment...here's where I am coming from:

As a lifelong fan (since the 70's), it's always been the bold, unusual and often unorthodox move the has been the bastion of Cowboys' championships...

1) drafting Roger when he wouldn't play for 6 years
2) taking flyers on converted and sometimes non-football playing "athletes" who had the harnessable skillset to become great players (e.g., Drew Pearson)
3) working out to get the #1 overall for Tony D
4) Of course, the Herschel (sp?) trade
5) Acquiring the "miscreant" Charles Haley, which transformed the D to championship caliber...
6) I could go on...but you get the point...

In other words, the slogging through the mud of a methodical build has NEVER produced a championship for this franchise, but Lombardies have ALWAYS been the result of some bold and (sometimes) surprising move that changed the trajectory of this team to go on a run...I believe something like this AD idea (who the heck thought we would have EVER traded Walker???) is exactly the type of move this franchise needs to get their heads out of their nether region...I am getting to friggin' old to wait much longer for "the build" to yield results while we watch careers waste away (Romo, Witten, Dez, and on and on). You feel me?

JustChip

Reaction score
One of my fave quotes. Been in the investment game for a while...25+ years...and use it often, only second to Buffet's: "give your children enough to do anything, but not so much that they do nothing" :)

And yes, of course, using hindsight just as you are now employing what if's about the future (injury, etc.), which is certainly part of risk assessment...here's where I am coming from:

As a lifelong fan (since the 70's), it's always been the bold, unusual and often unorthodox move the has been the bastion of Cowboys' championships...

1) drafting Roger when he wouldn't play for 6 years
2) taking flyers on converted and sometimes non-football playing "athletes" who had the harnessable skillset to become great players (e.g., Drew Pearson)
3) working out to get the #1 overall for Tony D
4) Of course, the Herschel (sp?) trade
5) Acquiring the "miscreant" Charles Haley, which transformed the D to championship caliber...
6) I could go on...but you get the point...

In other words, the slogging through the mud of a methodical build has NEVER produced a championship for this franchise, but Lombardies have ALWAYS been the result of some bold and (sometimes) surprising move that changed the trajectory of this team to go on a run...I believe something like this AD idea (who the heck thought we would have EVER traded Walker???) is exactly the type of move this franchise needs to get their heads out of their nether region...I am getting to friggin' old to wait much longer for "the build" to yield results while we watch careers waste away (Romo, Witten, Dez, and on and on). You feel me?
I feel ya. And I'm not arguing against a trade, just the cost. I'd give up a 1 and a player, just not 2 one's and a player. I don't see LA doing it for that, but you never know.

jrumann59

Reaction score
OK

OK Mr. Glass half empty... ;)

This is all predicated on how those two pan out (Taco and LVE)...if we had traded those picks away prior to them actually becoming those players, I am sure other roster build adjustments would've been made to avoid the death spiral you're describing (completely ignoring the revolving door, BTW, we've ALREADY HAD at the 3-tech, which is supposedly THE MOST IMPORTANT (see HOFer Warren Sapp, who wasn't as good as AD in my opinion - and Sapp was AWESOME!) position in Rod's scheme...but that issue doesn't seem to matter in your analysis...

with a generational talent at DT you can get away with some fall off in other positions (look at the Dline that was paired with Bob Lilly...some of the good, with Andrie being the best and Pugh a close 3rd, but none of them all-time great level)...at yet that Dline was the first installment of Doomsday (and yes, the other talent on that D, LB corp and Mel Renfro, etc., isn't lost on me). AD is that type of talent...he would be transformative on this D.

It is not going from say Sean Lee to Anthony Hitchens. Whats the point of generational talent when the talent around him is a notch above JAGs. Remember he is playing a defense line right now that is akin to the Dallas OL, so many high draft pick talents. Dallas trades for him everyone will ask why he "sucks" and can't put up the numbers he did in LA when he had a ton of high round draft picks around him. So DL of Crawford, Collins, Donald, and Tank. LBers would be Lee, Smith, Wilson and depth behind that front 7 would be crap.