Forget ET This Offseason

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
All I know is we NEED to take a shot at Obi now that he has cleared waivers. I wasnt as high on him as others during the draft, having him as a low 3rd, but now for free and given our current safety situation we should be all over him.
Worth a look if healthy

Kaiser

Reaction score
We'll see what ET telegraphs when he's a free agent and not looking for a chump GM who will trade the farm for him *and* pay him big.

So he wasn't looking for a lot of money when he was holding out before, but he will be later?

condoin125

Reaction score
Yeah, I've never heard anybody anywhere say Collins is no good.

But (1) Collins isn't leaving New York, and (2) Dallas has lots of strong safeties and needs a true free safety.
Dallas may have a few SS but none of them appear to be any good.

condoin125

Reaction score
Fans really don't understand the difference between FS and SS

Good FS are centerfielders that have great coverage and ball skills......basically big CBs
Good SS are big hitters, almost LBs but can also cover some

We use a combination of the two but we still need a FS way more

Heath and Frazier are SS
BJones is a better CB but I thought he did a good job at FS

I would sign ET but not to top dollars.....more like an Eric Weddle deal
I completely understand they play two different positions and even noted as such in my OP. But even though FS is the more important of the two, we need help at both. Also, Heath is a FS and that's where he's been played the majority of the time....has to be that way since he plays the run game so poorly.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
That is a good point about Cooper's value, the Cowboys laughed at the Seahawks demand for a #1 but paid it for Cooper. And there are press articles that multiple teams had already offered a #2, which means teams either would have added more picks to their offer or blinked to give up the #1.

I think that they laughed at the Hawk's demand for a 1st round pick because of ET being a FA next year and he would be, more or less, a rental for 3/4s of the season. Cooper is under contract and they have the cap space to rework his contract and offer additional years. Cooper's chances of being a Cowboy next year is 100%. Couldn't have said that if they had dished the #1 for Earl and spent upfront time trying to get a long term contract done.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I almost positive ET will be a Cowboy next year. It almost seems like destiny
I would have agreed with that before the Amari trade. I don't see them giving out ~$28mil to Lawrence and ET next year, with Byron coming up as well. You'd be looking at probably $40m for those 3 guys, plus another ~$13m for Amari.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I think that they laughed at the Hawk's demand for a 1st round pick because of ET being a FA next year and he would be, more or less, a rental for 3/4s of the season. Cooper is under contract and they have the cap space to rework his contract and offer additional years. Cooper's chances of being a Cowboy next year is 100%. Couldn't have said that if they had dished the #1 for Earl and spent upfront time trying to get a long term contract done.

I think that was a major part of it, but also I do think they view Woods as an average starter who is playing on a low rookie contract. Upgrading that position would be a "nice to have" but its not a "have to have" like filling the massive void that Hurns and TWill created by their craptasticness.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I think that was a major part of it, but also I do think they view Woods as an average starter who is playing on a low rookie contract. Upgrading that position would be a "nice to have" but its not a "have to have" like filling the massive void that Hurns and TWill created by their craptasticness.
A top FS puts this D over the top....it isn't Woods or Heath

Kaiser

Reaction score
A top FS puts this D over the top....it isn't Woods or Heath

Agree, but that isn't worth a #1. A 3 for sure, likely a 2 but if Seattle was dug in asking for a #1 it was the right move to pass.