forget strahan...

JPostSam

Reaction score
yes, he has the single-season sack record. and gastineau is right behind him.

BUT... in 1987, reggie white had 21 sacks IN 12 GAMES.

:eek:

(that was the same year that jerry rice had 22 touchdowns in 12 games. awesome season!)

even more impressive: the year before, reggie had 18 sacks. the year after, he had 18 sacks. that's 57 sacks in three years.

to put that in perspective, consider this: if reggie had played JUST those three seasons, he would STILL have more sacks than junior seau, vonnie holliday, greg lloyd, seth joyner and randy white had IN THEIR ENTIRE CAREERS.

guy was amazing.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Not to be overly argumentative but White and Rice also were able to do some of that damage against strike scrubs or "scabs" as players that did not cross the picket line referred to them.

You turn Demarcus Ware loose on the SEC, Big 12 or Pac 10 and you'll see 21 sacks in 10 games.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
1. I believe Gastineau also got his sacks in a strike shortened season (not sure how many played in though).

2. White would NOT have more sacks in those 3 seasons then Randy White had in his career. Just cuz sacks weren't an "Official stat" till '82 doesn't mean that all the sacks he had prior to that year didn't occur.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Aikbach;2526782 said:
Not to be overly argumentative but White and Rice also were able to do some of that damage against strike scrubs or "scabs" as players that did not cross the picket line referred to them.

You turn Demarcus Ware loose on the SEC, Big 12 or Pac 10 and you'll see 21 sacks in 10 games.

True...also, the Commanders won the Super Bowl that year. In fact, 2 out of 3 of their Lombardi trophies were won in strike shortened seasons. There should be an asterisk on those Super Bowls.

Aikbach, I just noticed your avatar...absolutely hysterical! :lmao:

Aikbach

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2526785 said:
True...also, the Commanders won the Super Bowl that year. In fact, 2 out of 3 of their Lombardi trophies were won in strike shortened seasons. There should be an asterisk on those Super Bowls.

Aikbach, I just noticed your avatar...absolutely hysterical! :lmao:
Well, it is in retrospect but I have t fess up and say I was mildly serious when I posted it late last season.:eek:: Though it was always funny.:D

JPostSam

Reaction score
Aikbach;2526782 said:

fair enough!

but considering what both players did before and after that season, i think it's clear that '87 was more indicative of who they were than who they were playing against.

JPostSam

Reaction score
Rack;2526783 said:
1. I believe Gastineau also got his sacks in a strike shortened season (not sure how many played in though).

2. White would NOT have more sacks in those 3 seasons then Randy White had in his career. Just cuz sacks weren't an "Official stat" till '82 doesn't mean that all the sacks he had prior to that year didn't occur.

true, true!

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2526785 said:

I have a sneaking suspicion you would believe otherwise had the Cowboys won those Super Bowls.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
If Ware gets 2, I don't think McNabb is going to lay down like Favre. But I also don't expect him to be the QB in the 4th quarter, if we play like a team with their season on the line against a team with nothing to play for.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
deacon_jones.jpg

Not impressed.

:p:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Rack;2526783 said:

Agreed and that is why I think there should be a "retro" program in place to get all the stats that were tabulated from the past games.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2526862 said:
He claimed to have had 26 sacks in 1967, according to Wikipedia.

Deacon was a bad bad man, but you aren't going to put up those numbers today. Just like Joe Namath wouldn't start on many NFL clubs today.